News: Josh Brent to retire

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Jerry wouldn't cut him because he thought he could help the team this year. I doubt he knew anything about it or had any influence on the decision.

That's just silly.

Jerry said several time he wanted to provide Brent with whatever resources he could and the best way to do that was with Brent on the roster. It was clear MONTHS ago that Brent wasn't going to play this year. Nor does he fit in the defensive scheme at all.

joseephuss

Reaction score

erod

Reaction score
It isn't much of a strategy. You still miss time playing football. Also the possibility exists that when you do return, you can still receive a suspension.

It keeps Jerry and the league from having to do anything until the courts are finished. He can come out of retirement later if he chooses.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It keeps Jerry and the league from having to do anything until the courts are finished. He can come out of retirement later if he chooses.

It also puts him in front of people talking about making good decisions, priorities, etc. May have zero impact but it is better than the news being that he is suspended.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I'll slit my wrists.............slash my throat for good measure.

Well, at least you got your suicide in the right order because if you slash your throat first, no way in hell are you going to slit your wrists.

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
Does anyone know if retiring over being cut has any effect on money or is it a clean break regardless?

IAmLegend

Reaction score
He'll be back. Hope he c leans up and gets his act together in the meantime.

newlander

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................whatever. Knowing our luck he'll sit out 2 seasons, get sober, find the lord and come back to sign with da Gspots. 5 pro bowls later and a couple super bowls it'll be a Lifetime Movie Network movie waiting to happen. On a serious note: Good luck Josh.........you're gonna need it.

Woody Runner

Reaction score
That's just silly.

Jerry said several time he wanted to provide Brent with whatever resources he could and the best way to do that was with Brent on the roster. It was clear MONTHS ago that Brent wasn't going to play this year. Nor does he fit in the defensive scheme at all.

A real GM would have cut him long ago.

hra8700

Reaction score
Love it. He would have been suspended for the year anyway, now when he returns next year it'll be a redemption story rather than everyone complaining about him.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
Well we will still have his rights when he un retires, so he'll be back next year after his stint in the joint.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably a good idea. I hope he gets the help the needs and gets his life back on track. It was all very tragic and sad. I really wish him well.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Retire v/s Suspend??

How does this affect DAL salary cap numbers? Meaning, does it help the team cap-wise to have him retire v/s suspend?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

[/quote]
If he returns to the NFL, he would face a suspension then. Retirement does not avoid being suspended; although, it's possible that the suspension might be different at a later point in time.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
A real GM would have cut him long ago.

A real GM would realize it was a terrible accident and try to provide all the support he could. But hey, let's criticize Jerry for being compassionate and loving the guys that play for him.

You know, the "real GM" thing gets a bit tiresome, Jerry has built a team that is usually in a good spot to compete for the division title year after year. That alone puts him in the top 50% of GMs

Ring Leader

Reaction score
If he wanted to maximize his options shouldn't he have just served any suspension before retiring? Time served could have been concurrent to any retirement period. If he ever decided to come back, his suspension time would have already been banked and he could start playing immediately.

Retiring prior to any suspension time served makes me believe that any possible future return is even less likely.