Julius Jones 3 strikes your out

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I think everyone acknowledges that this is a "put up or shut up" year for JJ.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
odog422 said:
please elaborate.

Surely.

If you look at games from his rookie season vs games from last season, he is noticeably more "conservative" in the way he is running the ball.

The last half of 2004, he looked like the Second Coming. He really did. I was beyond psyched.

Now he looks rather ordinary. He is not bouncing runs to the outside. He's become pretty much a straight line runner.

IMO of course.

superpunk

Reaction score
Don';t you dare get Juke going on who he thinks is responsible for the change... ;)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
:welcome: I have to say that I think that "if healthy", Julius will have a monster year.

What I saw in the game the other day was more than what I thought I saw. At first glance, I thought that MBlll had the better game, but after further review, I saw JJ do somethings that I can't wait to see in the reg season.

Since we all know that the Boys are going to be running a ton of sweeps and pitch outs, JJ is going to flourish doing this type of running. I remember 1 time when we had a pitch out, and although Fasano was called for a bogus holding call, JJ shot around that corner and nearly scored.

This is what we're going to see especially when TO and Glenn are causing problems in the secondary and team blitzes are hurting them.

I look for a breakout season from Julius Jones.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Clove said:
:welcome: I have to say that I think that "if healthy", Julius will have a monster year.

What I saw in the game the other day was more than what I thought I saw. At first glance, I thought that MBlll had the better game, but after further review, I saw JJ do somethings that I can't wait to see in the reg season.

Since we all know that the Boys are going to be running a ton of sweeps and pitch outs, JJ is going to flourish doing this type of running. I remember 1 time when we had a pitch out, and although Fasano was called for a bogus holding call, JJ shot around that corner and nearly scored.

This is what we're going to see especially when TO and Glenn are causing problems in the secondary and team blitzes are hurting them.

I look for a breakout season from Julius Jones.

You know what I noticed so far in the pre-season. Dallas is not running that stretch play. It was so slow developing last year and didn't seem to work. Sweeps and pitch outs suit the offense better especially with Bledose's slowness.

kartr

Reaction score
stealth said:
sorry to say it but julius is a pretty average back in my mind. He is one dimensional and runs right directly into a giant mountain of a pile too many times for me to ever think very highly of him.

There is nothing wrong with Julius that better offensive line play wont cure. It's funny how people keep saying that Bledsoe needs better offensive line play when it's clear that our offensive line is better at pass blocking than run blocking. We saw in the Carolina game what Julius can do if the line blocks well. Julius would be more durable if he had more wholes to run thru than brick walls.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
You know what I noticed so far in the pre-season. Dallas is not running that stretch play. It was so slow developing last year and didn't seem to work. Sweeps and pitch outs suit the offense better especially with Bledose's slowness.
I've seen it a couple of times, but I hate that play. That play does set up great play actions though - But we're suited for the sweeps and tosses because our line can flat out run.

We have an extremely athletic line. When you have your oldest player running a 40 yard dash down the field on a naked screen, and he's the freaking oldest, you know you have an athletic line.

Plus, the boys are using their TE's to pull and block on sweeps as well, and that's why we kept running so sucessfully the other night to the outsides.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
i think he's kinda hard to judge since he never played a full season. I f he can stay healthy i think he can have a good year. but remember barber will get more playing time this year

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
I also think that if you go back and look at JJ's long runs from last year and the previous year, you will see that they came on draw plays. I noticed last year that he was giving draw plays to MBIII.

I think he needs to give JJ more of those draw plays.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
I also think that if you go back and look at JJ's long runs from last year and the previous year, you will see that they came on draw plays. I noticed last year that he was giving draw plays to MBIII.

I think he needs to give JJ more of those draw plays.

I agree. One thing I would like to see is Jones do a better job of bouncing the run to the outside, he seems to run right up the back of O-lineman at times and hesitates to bounce it to the outside.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Surely.

If you look at games from his rookie season vs games from last season, he is noticeably more "conservative" in the way he is running the ball.

The last half of 2004, he looked like the Second Coming. He really did. I was beyond psyched.

Now he looks rather ordinary. He is not bouncing runs to the outside. He's become pretty much a straight line runner.

IMO of course.

If you are implying that JJ has altered his running game via our esteemed leader Bill Parcells, let me join ranks.

It's not all bad but it sure seems some on the instinctual moves are gone.

I suspect he's thinking too much and we will see him progress as the year goes by. That's JMO and perhaps wishful thinking but I don't think he's changed as much as he's chained.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
landryscorner said:
Hi guys I'm new to the Forum thanks for having me.

I was looking for a forum to get some feedback on Julius Jones because it sucks that espn doesnt focus on the other players on the DC team except for TO which by the way im sick and tire of by now.

Well we all know about Julius' injuries in the past Im a little concerned not only by his injuries but by his future in terms of contracting with the cowboys, we all know that Jerry Jones likes to pay out when a player proves that he's worth the big bucks just like when Emmitt held out and got his big contract after the first superbowl.

Well I see that same trend happenning with Julius Jones. The thing is I haven't seen that kind of production from him in his past 2 seasons, sure he had some great games, but lets face it he has not been consistent. It's a shame. I really like him as a running back, he knows he has big shoes to fill and he knows all the running back history in Dallas.

So what you guys think? IS this Julius' season? Is he running out of time to pick up his stock value so that Jerry shells out that money or will he be released at the end of his contract? I guess this season might answer a lot of questions about Jones, dont get me wrong I wish the best for him and I will be watching him during games to keep track of his progress. thanks guys

:welcome: Excellent Post. I hope you enjoy your stay.

I certainly hope that JJ can have an injury free season. If he does, maybe we can see just how good a back he is.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I like what I have seen from JJ this preseason. Yes, I am aware that it is just preseason, but he is doing nice things and is progressing every week, and looks to be firing on all cylinders heading into the season. Even though he doesn't look as elusive as his rookie season, he looks more powerful, stronger (which should help him last a full season) and he still shows acceleration and the ability to make cuts. Barber has come along very nicely (remember last season when some here thought he was a bust, should be traded, cut, or sent to the practice squad?) and he will be a VERY nice compliment to Jones.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
landryscorner said:
Hi guys I'm new to the Forum thanks for having me.

I was looking for a forum to get some feedback on Julius Jones because it sucks that espn doesnt focus on the other players on the DC team except for TO which by the way im sick and tire of by now.

Well we all know about Julius' injuries in the past Im a little concerned not only by his injuries but by his future in terms of contracting with the cowboys, we all know that Jerry Jones likes to pay out when a player proves that he's worth the big bucks just like when Emmitt held out and got his big contract after the first superbowl.

Well I see that same trend happenning with Julius Jones. The thing is I haven't seen that kind of production from him in his past 2 seasons, sure he had some great games, but lets face it he has not been consistent. It's a shame. I really like him as a running back, he knows he has big shoes to fill and he knows all the running back history in Dallas.

So what you guys think? IS this Julius' season? Is he running out of time to pick up his stock value so that Jerry shells out that money or will he be released at the end of his contract? I guess this season might answer a lot of questions about Jones, dont get me wrong I wish the best for him and I will be watching him during games to keep track of his progress. thanks guys

:welcome:

He has done well as long as there is holes to run through. He needs more vision though. He seems to want to find that hole as opposed to going around when it's not there.

Last year teams were stacking the line because we had weak spots on both tackles, an immobile QB, and lack of throwing targets for him to throw too. Add those up and your running game isn't going to fair to well.

This year I think teams will get burned if they go with that approach. I think if Julius stays healthy he should have a decent year.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone said:
If you are implying that JJ has altered his running game via our esteemed leader Bill Parcells, let me join ranks.

It's not all bad but it sure seems some on the instinctual moves are gone.

I suspect he's thinking too much and we will see him progress as the year goes by. That's JMO and perhaps wishful thinking but I don't think he's changed as much as he's chained.

No, actually he's thinking too little.:(

Bill was the one who taught him "if there's nothing there, run into the hole and take the tough yard or two, don't try to get fancy and take a loss".

So, where JJ used to pause then make a great cut, now he just runs up the back of the guy in front of him.

You saw him revert to the old style in the carolina game.

I'd give my left ...... for an offensive coach. A real one that is.:D

ugggg.