Jupiter gets hit again, again

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/jupiter-fireball-new-collision-100604.html

Brand new impact on Jupiter. This makes the second impact in just under a year. SL-9 hit back in 1994.

That big ball of gas really does help to protect our insignificant little rock from getting blowed up, or rather protects our species from extinction.

3 impacts in 16 years, all of which would have ended us had they hit Earth.

[youtube]Yo6LHljBKW8[/youtube]

The impact appears on the upper left of the image of Jupiter. In reality, the impact was lower right when viewing the planet in the correct north/south pole orientation.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
If I'm estimating my scale correctly the explosion is about the size of North America.

In this photo the black scar is about the size of the Pacific Ocean.

090724-hubble-jupiter-02.jpg

Based on that, this explosion should easily be the size of North America.

jupiter-fireball-100603-02.jpg

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Based on those photos. I would say the hole in the cloud layer is about the size of Earth. I base that on the great red spot being larger than the earth and that hole looking about half it's size.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;3425856 said:
Based on those photos. I would say the hole in the cloud layer is about the size of Earth. I base that on the great red spot being larger than the earth and that hole looking about half it's size.

Unless you're looking at some other photos, the Great Red Spot isn't visible in the two I posted. The white oval above the black scar is the Oval BA, I think.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3425865 said:
Unless you're looking at some other photos, the Great Red Spot isn't visible in the two I posted. The white oval above the black scar is the Oval BA, I think.

Indeed. How ever being familiar with TGS and extrapolating it at scale over the impact site. I will stand by my hypothesis. ;)

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
reddyuta;3425908 said:
Jupiter is not all the great savior as we like to think.read this article from the Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/weekinreview/26overbye.html

depending on where the comets originate,Jupiter can be a benefactor or our destroyer.

3 impacts in 16 years, I'll take the benefactor side of the equation. That said, everyday we're still walking and talking on this ball of silica, then Jupiter's a protector. The day it causes an impact like the last three, well, we really won't have to worry about it the next day.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I saw this. I love this stuff. (providing it isn't the Earth taking the beating.)

I was outside last night with my binoculars checking out Saturn and Mars. Of course with Binoculars you can't see Saturns rings.

I remedied that the other day. I ordered a giant monstrosity of a telescope.

Zhumell Z10 Dobsonian Reflector Telescope

It's the big black one in front. It should be delivered on June 10th. This is a "deep space" telescope. You can see everything with it! I'm damn excited!

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v466/Candymancan/HPIM1039-1.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DMOB;3426681 said:
How much does something like that cost?

Dobsonian scopes are relatively cheap. That scope brand new is $500 (I got 10% off) For a scope that size, it's super cheap. The 8" one you can get for around $300 on sale. It was probably what I should have gotten, but two extra inches in aperture means more light let in which means more details are visible. (like cloud banding on Saturn and it's rings, nebulas, globular clusters, etc)

I purchased that scope, a Telrad (helps find stuff in the sky) and a 2x Barlow eye piece (doubles the magnification) for $540 with free shipping and no tax.

Dobsonian scopes are easily the best beginner scopes too. If you were to buy a different type of scope with the same 10" lens size, it would cost thousands of dollars.

Here is a link to it.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Mental note: Add "thank-you for Jupiter" to the prayer list. As if it ain't long enough already.

Seven

Reaction score
nyc;3426663 said:
I saw this. I love this stuff. (providing it isn't the Earth taking the beating.)

I was outside last night with my binoculars checking out Saturn and Mars. Of course with Binoculars you can't see Saturns rings.

I remedied that the other day. I ordered a giant monstrosity of a telescope.

Zhumell Z10 Dobsonian Reflector Telescope

It's the big black one in front. It should be delivered on June 10th. This is a "deep space" telescope. You can see everything with it! I'm damn excited!

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v466/Candymancan/HPIM1039-1.jpg

Hey!! Are those Britannica's in the background?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Seven;3426821 said:
Hey!! Are those Britannica's in the background?

Thats not my house! My telescope doesn't even arrive until June 10th. I just found that picture on the net to show what it looks like.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Damn, that's really inexpensive. I was expecting something along the lines of $3k-$5k. You can't even touch a pro level Nikon camera lens for $500.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3426853 said:
Damn, that's really inexpensive. I was expecting something along the lines of $3k-$5k. You can't even touch a pro level Nikon camera lens for $500.

I know! Dobsonian scopes are far and away the best bang for your buck in telescopes. I was looking at a Meade ETX-80-TC which has an 80 millimeter lens that is around $300-325 when not onsale. 80 millimeters breaks down to about 3.14 inches (Pi!) Thats less than 1/3 the size of the Dobsonian scope I got. Of course the ETX-80 has GoTo on it. (it can find and auto follow celestial objects) Though it's a cheap version of it with cheap gears that tend to break or just not work right.

Auto follow (GoTo) is great for Astrophotography since the best pictures require longer exposers and it will move with the object during the exposure. That, and the sheer size of dobsonian scopes are the only downside to them. Although, Aperture is absolute king when sky watching and Aperture is one thing dobsonians got!

Now, just need to build an equatorial mount for it and install a GoTo system on this beast! :laugh2:

Seven

Reaction score
nyc;3426846 said:
Thats not my house! My telescope doesn't even arrive until June 10th. I just found that picture on the net to show what it looks like.

:laugh2: