Jury orders NFL to pay nearly $4.8 billion in 'Sunday Ticket' case for violating antitrust laws

RS12

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A jury in U.S. District Court ordered the NFL to pay nearly $4.8 billion in damages Thursday after ruling that the league violated antitrust laws in distributing out-of-market Sunday afternoon games on a premium subscription service.

The jury awarded $4.7 billion in damages to the residential class and $96 million in damages to the commercial class.

The lawsuit covered 2.4 million residential subscribers and 48,000 businesses who paid for the package of out-of-market games from the 2011 through 2022 seasons on DirecTV. The lawsuit claimed the league broke antitrust laws by selling its package of Sunday games at an inflated price. The subscribers also say the league restricted competition by offering “Sunday Ticket” only on a satellite provider.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jury-rules-nfl-violated-antitrust-205401291.html

Beats_By_Zeke

Reaction score
OehEIW.gif

gtb1943

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A jury in U.S. District Court ordered the NFL to pay nearly $4.8 billion in damages Thursday after ruling that the league violated antitrust laws in distributing out-of-market Sunday afternoon games on a premium subscription service.

The jury awarded $4.7 billion in damages to the residential class and $96 million in damages to the commercial class.

The lawsuit covered 2.4 million residential subscribers and 48,000 businesses who paid for the package of out-of-market games from the 2011 through 2022 seasons on DirecTV. The lawsuit claimed the league broke antitrust laws by selling its package of Sunday games at an inflated price. The subscribers also say the league restricted competition by offering “Sunday Ticket” only on a satellite provider.

that aint hay

Chasing6

Reaction score

How is that going to affect the Salary Cap???

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
after the attorneys get theirs, I will see about $2.70 for the 30 years I have had it.
Sounds about right.

Got a $40 settlement from a class action suit for Luckin’ Coffee stock. I lost $1,000 on it.. $40 woo hoo.
I got $35 from the Keurig / Green Mountain Coffee suit, cant remember how much I bought. It did not matter. But $35 was the max you could get. However I did get the coffee to make and drink. I forget what the suit was for, maybe over charging.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
As much as I'd love some money, and hate that there weren't more options available, I'm not sure I can get on board with this decision.
The NFL could just not even offer this product as an option.
I'm not sure there are many businesses that sell their own product that would be okay with not being allowed to determine how their product is made available.
The NFL is somewhat unique (along with other sports) in regards to the marketplace, however.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I hope they take it all from big and little. Not like they can spend less than they already do