Jury orders NFL union to pay $28.1M to retirees

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jury orders NFL union to pay $28.1M to retirees
By PAUL ELIAS, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)—A federal jury on Monday ordered the NFL Players Association to pay $28.1 million to retired players after finding the union failed to properly market their images.

The figure includes $21 million in punitive damages, just short of the $21.9 million award the players’ lawyer had asked of the jury to reflect roughly 10 percent of the union’s net worth at the start of the year.

A union lawyer had urged the jury to award a far lesser amount so as not to damage the union’s ability to represent its members.

Hall of Fame cornerback Herb Adderley filed the lawsuit last year on behalf of 2,056 retired players who contend the union failed to actively pursue marketing deals on their behalf with video games, trading cards and others sports products.

Adderley, 69, played cornerback for the Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys and appeared in four of the first six Super Bowls.

Lawyers representing Adderley and the retired players told the jury during the nearly three-week trial that the union actively sought to cut them out of licensing deals so active players could receive bigger royalty payments. As proof, the retirees pointed to a 2001 letter from an NFLPA executive telling Electronic Arts Inc. executives to scramble the images of retired players in the company’s popular “Madden NFL” video game, otherwise the company would have to pay them.

EA’s Madden game contains 143 “vintage” teams populated with no-name players that closely resemble Adderley and other retirees yet only active players received a cut of the EA deal, which surpassed $35 million for 2008.

On Monday, the retirees’ lawyer, Ronald Katz, urged the jury to punish the union with a large award to “change their conduct.”

Katz said longtime union chief Gene Upshaw and his deputy “betrayed the trust of their members” by neglecting the retired players, who pay $50 a year to keep their union membership. Upshaw died of cancer in August.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I don't like to bash the dead so I'll just say that Gene Upshaw was not my favorite person. If you read my comments on him while he was still around you know how I felt about him. :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Let's just say that I am glad the union is having to pay up and I hope this is just the start of it.

nathanlt

Reaction score
So each of the retirees get a $10,000 check? Woop de doo. Roger the Dodger is much better than that!

Temo

Reaction score
nathanlt;2411908 said:
So each of the retirees get a $10,000 check? Woop de doo. Roger the Dodger is much better than that!

Heh, and 10K is actually more than Retiree's "real" share if they'd been cut into the share. Meaning that a lot of the award is actually punitive damages. Which often get cut down a lot by Judges in the appeals process.

So they'll get maybe 5K each, after attorney's fees.

dback

Reaction score
I wonder what the benefits are of joining the NFLPA vs not joining. I know you cannot be on Madden if you are not a member.

notherbob

Reaction score
I'm glad the judge decided in favor of the retirees, they have deserved it for a long time. I wonder if the judgement will be distributed equally or by some weighted method that will take into consideration years of service, etc?

While they're at it, they need to increase the monthly stipend, it's ridiculous what they have paid them. I know that Upshaw was shafting the retirees, I just wonder how he slept at night.

It will be interesting to see what the union leaders do from here.

Now that the NFL has it's own channel I can imagine lots of opportunities to appear in commercials, etc. Some of them are too cripple, drugged or drunk to appear but not all of them. There's lots of fertile ground there for the league to take care of it's own and even participate in some kinds of fund raising to help the disabled retirees and others.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
While it might not seem like enough, just remember that was based on 10% of the NFLPA's net worth. If you make it to large, you could cause the NFLPA to collapse. That would help nobody.

I think the best thing they could do would be to apply the money where it's most needed. That won't happen though, because I'm sure everyone (mostly anyhow) will want their piece.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The league also should be kicking in more. They could easily match that award,