just a hunch about the new hc...

capn22

Reaction score
So among all the reports and rumors, I have a feeling that if Garrett is not the new HC, then the new guy might be Dan Reeves. Why? He's 62 years old. He's interested in the job. He knows what he's doing. Also, because of his age, he may simply agree to come in for 2-3 years to lead the team to then step down for Garrett to take over. This accomplishes several things: no need to fire or treat a different (Phillips) HC poorly just to get Garrett into the HC slot; Garrett can focus on the offense and Romo's maturity; Garrett can learn from a seasoned vet HC who is also part of the Cowboy's history. Reeves gives us a HC that coached under Landry.

So for what it's worth (and it's not worth any more than the next rumor or speculation) -- that's something I could see happening IF Garrett is not given the HC position.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
You got that right! If you are over 43 years old you are just old.:lmao2:

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I think the Reeves thing makes a lot of sense.

I'm sure he'd love a last chance to win a Super Bowl.

The only problem with Reeves is that we still wouldn't have a DC. For that reason, I think the HC will be Phillips.

If I were laying odds, I'd say:

50% chance the HC is Wade Phillips.

20% chance it's Garrett

30% chance it's someone else... probably Reeves or Turner

SteamedSoup

Reaction score
We're talking about Reeves because he'll maybe agree to come in for a couple years?

Someone needs to ask Jerry how long he spent perfecting his Al Davis impression.

DBoys

Reaction score
Hiring an offensive minded guy already means defense just became critical.

Wade Phillips makes the most sense.

DipChit

Reaction score
Dont imagine Jerry is thinking along those lines but it really would make some sense for 2 or 3 seasons.

Certain other guys may not even want the job now with the force-fed OC. And of those that might take it anyway, Norv and Wade, theres no question Reeves' track record as an HC is far better. In all 3 stops he's pretty much taken the teams as far as the talent would allow.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DizzG;1336433 said:
give me Garrett over reaves. Young ideas >>> old guy

This is why my if Wade Phillips looked like Bob Stoops thread wasnt stupid.

Spectre

Reaction score
capn22;1336425 said:
So among all the reports and rumors, I have a feeling that if Garrett is not the new HC, then the new guy might be Dan Reeves. Why? He's 62 years old. He's interested in the job. He knows what he's doing. Also, because of his age, he may simply agree to come in for 2-3 years to lead the team to then step down for Garrett to take over. This accomplishes several things: no need to fire or treat a different (Phillips) HC poorly just to get Garrett into the HC slot; Garrett can focus on the offense and Romo's maturity; Garrett can learn from a seasoned vet HC who is also part of the Cowboy's history. Reeves gives us a HC that coached under Landry.

So for what it's worth (and it's not worth any more than the next rumor or speculation) -- that's something I could see happening IF Garrett is not given the HC position.
very possible scenario

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
DBoys;1336502 said:
Hiring an offensive minded guy already means defense just became critical.

Wade Phillips makes the most sense.

My preference is Rivera... I love the way that Bears D goes balls-to-the-wall for turnovers... but as I said before, I don't think Rivera would take the job (or be offered it) with Garrett already in place.

For that reason, I think the guy will be Philips.

DBoys

Reaction score
Danny White;1336515 said:
My preference is Rivera... I love the way that Bears D goes balls-to-the-wall for turnovers... but as I said before, I don't think Rivera would take the job (or be offered it) with Garrett already in place.

Yep, good point and I think the other is Wade knows the 3-4 and his scheme is very effective. I don't think Jerry wants another 4-3 to 3-4 convert like Zimmer.

DipChit

Reaction score

The problem is we're likely gonna just spin our wheels with him. A guy like that with 2 inexperienced coordinators isnt a recipe for success no matter his prowess as a DC.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
My preference is Rivera... I love the way that Bears D goes balls-to-the-wall for turnovers... .

But how much of that is Lovie? I think Smith is the true reason for the Bears defensive performance since 2004.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
DipChit;1336526 said:
The problem is we're likely gonna just spin our wheels with him. A guy like that with 2 inexperienced coordinators isnt a recipe for success no matter his prowess as a DC.

I don't necessarily agree.

Phillips would be the defacto Defensive Coordinator. Keep Sparano around for some offensive continuity.

I think it could work well.

DipChit

Reaction score
Danny White;1336556 said:
I don't necessarily agree.

Phillips would be the defacto Defensive Coordinator. Keep Sparano around for some offensive continuity.

I think it could work well.

Eh.. I have grave concerns about that. I live in Denver and watched him go from DC of 4 years to HC when Reeves left. Had Elway in his prime, the "shackles" came off the offense.. went to #3 in scoring and the team still hovered around .500 for 2 years. Went to the playoffs once and got lit up for 40.

The only possible reason it would be appreciably different now would be if we said we had gobs more talent on defense. Which could be true cause some of Denvers better defenders of the era were getting old.. but still.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
go back and look at Phillips defenses...they tend to create a lot of turnovers...several of his defenses had ints in the mid 20s.....add to that any fumbles and the defense is doing a pretty good job of taking the ball away.

This year, the Chargers D not only created a decent amt of turnovers, but they also had a ton of sacks.

Another thing......Ware vs Roid Rage debates....if we get Phillips, I am sure he will use Ware like he did Roid Rage......we would be able to have a better idea of who the better player is between the two.

I would love to have Phillips as our DC for sure.....as our HC, i am indifferent.