Just a little Devil's advocate

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just playing devil advocate but if you were an offense coordinator how would you try to attack the Phillips defense? Myself I expect to see a lot of draws and screens thrown at us to slow the pass rush up and try and take advantage of an aggressive style of defense.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1507378 said:
Just playing devil advocate but if you were an offense coordinator how would you try to attack the Phillips defense? Myself I expect to see a lot of draws and screens thrown at us to slow the pass rush up and try and take advantage of an aggressive style of defense.

The one thing I have been thinking about is draw plays. I expect we will see a lot of them.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Like you said, draws and screens are usually the ticket -- particularly if you know who is starting at ILB. Quick slants or any short routes to take advantage of the shallow zones.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Attack Anthony Henry and Aaron Glenn. They suck and can't cover.

I just wanted to say it so eduncan can't steal the thunder.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
RUN AND SHOOT BABY! A four wide receiver set can make blitzing painful. :p:

Good damn thing Warren Moon has retired!

MoonWarren03.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Vintage;1507384 said:
Attack Anthony Henry and Aaron Glenn. They suck and can't cover.

I just wanted to say it so eduncan can't steal the thunder.

I look forward to seeing QB's under pressure trying to attack our CB's. I think our guys are a bit better than some around here and believe we see many big plays coming from this group. I think our secondary is sometimes unfairly criticized as they are forced to cover WR while the opposing QB is given ample time to attack them

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1507390 said:
I look forward to seeing QB's under pressure trying to attack our CB's. I think our guys are a bit better than some around here and believe we see many big plays coming from this group. I think our secondary is sometimes unfairly criticized as they are forced to cover WR while the opposing QB is given ample time to attack them

At least someone here knows whats really under the hood.

:thankyou:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1507390 said:

Are you insinuating that our CB's are better corners than some of us here at the zone ? :D

AtlCB

Reaction score
nyc;1507386 said:

MoonWarren03.jpg

The Run and Shoot wasn't that effective against a good blitz. Run and Shoot teams would typically find themselves in situations where they had fewer blockers than the defense had blitzers.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AtlCB;1507408 said:
The Run and Shoot wasn't that effective against a good blitz. Run and Shoot teams would typically find themselves in situations where they had fewer blockers than the defense had blitzers.

Actually, that was the problem if your receivers didn't read the defense. The run and shoot is a vertical game, but when a heavy blitz comes, they are supposed to break off their routes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;1507414 said:
Actually, that was the problem if your receivers didn't read the defense. The run and shoot is a vertical game, but when a heavy blitz comes, they are supposed to break off their routes.

Not to mention Philly figured out if they blasted Moon enough time his throws would start being off the mark and it did. With all the WR out in routs, no TE and little protection you leave your QB at risk of taking a pounding. I think as teams figured this out the run and shoot faded away.

sago1

Reaction score
Phillips won't see anything from our opponents that he hasn't already seen before. Teams have had enough team to spot any weaknesses in his 3-4 and take advantage of it -- if they can. They will face the same situation against us. Our defensive success this year will come down to 3 things: 1. how healthy we can stay, 2. if our opponents can take advantage of our weaknesses, and 3. are our players good enough to make Phillips scheme really successful.

Actually I'm quit optimistic on that score. Jeez, even in Parcells two-gap 3-4 system, we were 8-4 before collapsing in December -- similar to what we did in 05. And don't forget, neither Spears nor Canty contributed as we would have liked & FS position was a concern the whole year. We've added a good young pass rusher who should be able to contribute right away and a cover FS who can also do a lot. If Phillips 1 gap scheme gives us a much better pass rush, we can disrupt a lot of games.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1507421 said:
Not to mention Philly figured out if they blasted Moon enough time his throws would start being off the mark and it did. With all the WR out in routs, no TE and little protection you leave your QB at risk of taking a pounding. I think as teams figured this out the run and shoot faded away.

Imagine if they had 4 TO like recievers though. Everytime someone blitzed it would almost automatically be a TD.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;1507430 said:
Imagine if they had 4 TO like recievers though. Everytime someone blitzed it would almost automatically be a TD.

I was never a big fan of that offense. I think it made it difficult to run the clock down late in games (see the buffalo come back as well as Denver come backs) and was not very good in the red zone. It also exposes your QB to a lot of big hits. I think it is a very good offense in the college ranks when your a smaller school trying to compete aginst better teams.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;1507386 said:

Luckily, this year when teams trot out 4 receivers we won't be staying in our base 3-4.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1507431 said:
I was never a big fan of that offense. I think it made it difficult to run the clock down late in games (see the buffalo come back as well as Denver come backs) and was not very good in the red zone. It also exposes your QB to a lot of big hits. I think it is a very good offense in the college ranks when your a smaller school trying to compete aginst better teams.

I agree for the most part. The run and shoot can be one of the most high powered offenses, but it has issues with it. It is the offensive version of the 46 defense that Buddy Ryan built with the Bears and again with the Eagles. Once it was figured out, the 46 and all it's glory faded except a few facets of it. As with the run and shoot.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;1507438 said:
I agree for the most part. The run and shoot can be one of the most high powered offenses, but it has issues with it. It is the offensive version of the 46 defense that Buddy Ryan built with the Bears and again with the Eagles. Once it was figured out, the 46 and all it's glory faded except a few facets of it. As with the run and shoot.

True when the run and shoot 1st came out with Mouse Davis, defensive coordinator had to go to work and figure out how to stop it or at least slow it down. Part of the Run and Shoot still exsist but in it's pure form I think it is an offense that will get your QB beat up