Just a What If. 2016

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The same Tony that was 2-3 in the playoffs and never got past the division round? The same Tony who was 0-2 in win and in game's in week 17? The same Tony that couldn't play in a week 17 win and in game because he was hurt? The same Tony that got hurt and missed most of the 2015 season? The same Tony that that couldn't make it past the preseason in 2016 and was the reason Dak EARENED the job? Are we talking about the same Tony?

I loved Romo, I'm a former romosexual, but the pedestal that people have put him on since he's retired is quite disturbing.
there have been plenty of other QBs that had similar stats and made it.....so saying he never did because he didn't get a final chance! yes, tony towards the end was injury prone, not sure breaking bones because of hits, is being injury prone, but he would have been much better for our playoff run, than a Rookie. nothing against a rookie.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
there have been plenty of other QBs that had similar stats and made it.....so saying he never did because he didn't get a final chance! yes, tony towards the end was injury prone, not sure breaking bones because of hits, is being injury prone, but he would have been much better for our playoff run, than a Rookie. nothing against a rookie.

The 2016 season didn't need Tony to save it. Dak had already done that.

The 2015 season did though. So why couldn't Tony save the 2015 season? Oh, that is right, because he was injured AGAIN (after being cleared to play) and playing god-awful on Thanksgiving Day.

And the fixation on 2016. Why are we so focused on the 2016 season?

What about 2014? Surely all-world Tony Romo would have won the SB that year.
And 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009...

The crazy thing about this whole fantasy is that if it were not for Dak (his readiness, his professionalism, his preparation, his play on incredibly short notice), there probably wouldn't even have been a 2016 season for Romo to "save." The Giants, Commanders, and Eagles would have already ran away with the division by the time Romo was cleared to play. The Cowboys would have been 2-6...and then Romo could have really played hero again in 2016.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

The 2015 season did though. So why couldn't Tony save the 2015 season? Oh, that is right, because he was injured AGAIN (after being cleared to play) and playing god-awful on Thanksgiving Day.

The crazy thing about this whole fantasy is that if it were not for Dak (his readiness, his professionalism, his preparation, his play on incredibly short notice), there probably wouldn't even have been a 2016 season for Romo to "save." The Giants, Commanders, and Eagles would have already ran away with the division by the time Romo was cleared to play. The Cowboys would have been 2-6...and then Romo could have really played hero again in 2016.
And then it would have been 2 straight seasons ruined by Tony's injuries.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I

OMG, the Anti room sentiment, probably you are Dak Fanatic and the mere mention of Romo is steering emotions....

2015, with Tony Romo we are 2-0, then he gets injured and we go down the toilet. I blame the front office and scouts for not doing their job on Weeden and later brining in a totally washed up, off the couch Matt cassel. we had not planned well and didn't have a proper back up QB. so what happened in 2015, it wasn't Romo's fault. in fact with the same team , he went 2-0!! and yes, he got Injured, as if that's his fault!!!!

in 2016 Dak didn't save the season...that team was loaded. Dez, Witten, that fantastic out of this world OL and Zeke!!! Dak rode the bus. nothing wrong with that, in fact that's all we needed him to do. just let the players around you get things done.

I am not fixated on 2016. I expressed an opinion, that we would have been better off with Romo leading the way and into the playoffs, instead of a Rookie. no rookie, ever, EVER has led a team to a superbowl. EVER. so are you a betting man? gambler? or should we go with the experience of Romo.

and like I said, there have been other QBs, who had bad playoff records and went on to superbowl. the list is long. even recent list.

the 2014 team was no were close in talent to the 2016 team.

and don't be so sensitive about Romo….it seems like I touched a nerve.....

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Dak is the only rookie in history to throw 3 TDs in a playoff game. He was better than Romo, which is why the coaches kept Tony on the bench.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I

OMG, the Anti room sentiment, probably you are Dak Fanatic and the mere mention of Romo is steering emotions....

2015, with Tony Romo we are 2-0, then he gets injured and we go down the toilet. I blame the front office and scouts for not doing their job on Weeden and later brining in a totally washed up, off the couch Matt cassel. we had not planned well and didn't have a proper back up QB. so what happened in 2015, it wasn't Romo's fault. in fact with the same team , he went 2-0!! and yes, he got Injured, as if that's his fault!!!!

in 2016 Dak didn't save the season...that team was loaded. Dez, Witten, that fantastic out of this world OL and Zeke!!! Dak rode the bus. nothing wrong with that, in fact that's all we needed him to do. just let the players around you get things done.

I am not fixated on 2016. I expressed an opinion, that we would have been better off with Romo leading the way and into the playoffs, instead of a Rookie. no rookie, ever, EVER has led a team to a superbowl. EVER. so are you a betting man? gambler? or should we go with the experience of Romo.

and like I said, there have been other QBs, who had bad playoff records and went on to superbowl. the list is long. even recent list.

the 2014 team was no were close in talent to the 2016 team.

and don't be so sensitive about Romo….it seems like I touched a nerve.....

The 2014 roster was nowhere close to the 2016 roster?

I honestly don’t see how you can say it was nowhere close. 2016 roster may have been a bit better. But nowhere close? That’s a strong statement.

The defense in 2016 was better I think. But sadly they didn’t play well in the playoffs when it mattered most.

The defense is what has been letting us down for the past decade. Honestly This isn’t a Dak vs Romo thing. We haven’t had a championship worthy defense. It’s what has held us back.

I honestly think if you put Romo in that season. The defense would have played like crap in the playoffs against good offenses. Just like it did.

Then having to face 3 high powered offenses in a row, the Packers, falcons and patriots. Romo would have had to play perfect football for the team to win. And then when he inevitably didn’t play perfect football, because he is a human being, we would have lost anyway and people would have still been blaming the QB for falling short. Just like every other season where people blamed him for the team not succeeding despite a trash defense.

That seems Like it may be changing if the defense continues its current trajectory. We can hope.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The 2014 roster was nowhere close to the 2016 roster?

I honestly don’t see how you can say it was nowhere close. 2016 roster may have been a bit better. But nowhere close? That’s a strong statement.

The defense in 2016 was better I think. But sadly they didn’t play well in the playoffs when it mattered most.

The defense is what has been letting us down for the past decade. Honestly This isn’t a Dak vs Romo thing. We haven’t had a championship worthy defense. It’s what has held us back.

I honestly think if you put Romo in that season. The defense would have played like crap in the playoffs against good offenses. Just like it did.

Then having to face 3 high powered offenses in a row, the Packers, falcons and patriots. Romo would have had to play perfect football for the team to win. And then when he inevitably didn’t play perfect football, because he is a human being, we would have lost anyway and people would have still been blaming the QB for falling short. Just like every other season where people blamed him for the team not succeeding despite a trash defense.

That seems Like it may be changing if the defense continues its current trajectory. We can hope.
t 2016 OL was one of the best ever OL in the NFL. now, the only close part of the two teams was the OL, Dez and Witten.

Terrence brick hands Williams was the second best WR on the team...don't even know who was #3....

that defense sucked. George Selvie was a major player at DE!!! that defense was awful. Carr and Scandrick were starting CBs...yuck

and I agree....this is not a Dak vs. Romo.

the argument initially started about 2016.

with that said, I think Romo and that 2016 offense would have given us the best chance..... not Romo vs. Dak…

and hopefully this year, finally we have a defense than can win a few games. they did last year. came through several times. but failed at the rams (the whole team failed at the rams, coach on down)….so hopefully, a defense this year than can get sacks, turnovers, Ints, get off the field on 3rd downs and get the other team off the field.....

HungryLion

Reaction score
t 2016 OL was one of the best ever OL in the NFL. now, the only close part of the two teams was the OL, Dez and Witten.

Terrence brick hands Williams was the second best WR on the team...don't even know who was #3....

that defense sucked. George Selvie was a major player at DE!!! that defense was awful. Carr and Scandrick were starting CBs...yuck

and I agree....this is not a Dak vs. Romo.

the argument initially started about 2016.

with that said, I think Romo and that 2016 offense would have given us the best chance..... not Romo vs. Dak…

and hopefully this year, finally we have a defense than can win a few games. they did last year. came through several times. but failed at the rams (the whole team failed at the rams, coach on down)….so hopefully, a defense this year than can get sacks, turnovers, Ints, get off the field on 3rd downs and get the other team off the field.....

The defense played well against the Seahawks in the playoffs.

The Rams game was just a crapshow sadly.

The defense now I think can be championship caliber if they can just find ways to force more turnovers. That’s what they’re missing. I am hopeful that can be improved.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Lost in the Romo fantasia is the Cowboys defense allowing 34 points, and the fact that the Cowboys have never won a playoff game when the opponent scored 30 or more points.