Just curious: Who's your UFL team?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Those leagues don’t have a large viewership
USFL of the 80s was gaining some traction, actually, before having to fold because the NFL sabotaged their capacity to operate... won that lawsuit, but got $1.00 for their trouble.

I believe they wouldn't keep trying this if there wasn't clearly that they've seen based on research a market for spring football.

And for all of the "wow look at us" MLB hyperbole in 2023 about their rebound in attendance, those numbers were primarily driven by success in the first three months. The last three months of 2023, compared with the most recent non-Covid seasons, were the same or worse. Seemingly people were made to be curious about the new Manfred rules, at first. But the long term effect remains to be seen, and those later season numbers... including the least watched WS ever, iirc... don't bode well.

I think they've learned a lot of lessons with spring football over the years, and now that the NFL is, instead, working in a collaborative way with these people, there's reason to think they're going to crack the code this time.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
USFL of the 80s was gaining some traction, actually, before having to fold because the NFL sabotaged their capacity to operate... won that lawsuit, but got $1.00 for their trouble.

I believe they wouldn't keep trying this if there wasn't clearly that they've seen based on research a market for spring football.

And for all of the "wow look at us" MLB hyperbole in 2023 about their rebound in attendance, those numbers were primarily driven by success in the first three months. The last three months of 2023, compared with the most recent non-Covid seasons, were the same or worse. Seemingly people were made to be curious about the new Manfred rules, at first. But the long term effect remains to be seen, and those later season numbers... including the least watched WS ever, iirc... don't bode well.

I think they've learned a lot of lessons with spring football over the years, and now that the NFL is, instead, working in a collaborative way with these people, there's reason to think they're going to crack the code this time.
I did watch some USFL games when that league started in the early 80s because they were signing big name college players like Herschel Walker, Steve Young, Reggie White and Jim Kelly just to name a few. I watched several LA Express games with Steve Young.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other football leagues aren't successful as they can't compete with the NFL during their season.
Not that they are trying to compete at that level. Not the ones now as opposed to the old WFL and USFL.

And not as many people can't get into spring / summer football games. As MLB is getting started, NBA & NHL playoffs are starting. People out doing things on weekends with the nicer weather coming along.

I do like they have it, because it can help develop players. Also gives a chance at players that just are on the downside of their careers, but are still good enough to play on lesser talented teams / players. Such as Taco.

I can have a game on as background, but for now won't pay 100% attention. But won't go out of my way to watch it if I have other things need to get done first.

_sturt_

Reaction score
But won't go out of my way to watch it
Having YouTubeTV with endless DVR makes it a lot easier to bother with it. Doesn't have to be appointment TV, and so I really only watch a game when there's nothing else I want to watch... and at that, I often will skip to the 4th quarter to see if it's close, before investing the time otherwise.

_sturt_

Reaction score
https://sportsnaut.com/ufl-tv-ratings

ufl-wk3.jpg

UFL TV ratings – Week 3​

• St. Louis vs San Antonio – ABC – 1.023 million avg. viewers
  • Houston vs Michigan – ABC – 974,000 avg. viewers
  • Birmingham vs Memphis – FOX – 837,000 avg. viewers
  • DC vs Arlington – ESPN – 534,000 avg. viewers
ESPN’s viewership numbers are responsible for dragging the net TV ratings down, but ABC averaged more than 990,000 viewers for its two UFL broadcasts and Fox had excellent ratings. As for how this compares to previous spring football leagues, it was a 44% improvement over the Week 3 viewership in 2023 for the USFL and XFL.

UFL vs XFL/USFL comparison – Week 3​

• UFL average: 840,000 viewers
  • XFL/USFL average – 583,000 avg. viewers
Through 3 weeks, Fox and ABC have both demonstrated they can maintain a strong baseline audience with enough viewers to have confidence moving forward in the league’s sustainability and overall interest.