Just for the record, my initial Cowboys mock draft...

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
It's waaay too early to try and do more than three rounds right now especially when the workouts haven't even started yet, but I wanted to go on record so that I won't be called a bandwagoner later on.....:p:

*1. Michael Huff, FS, Texas
*2. Kamerion Wimbley, OLB/DE, Florida St.
*3. "Duece" Lutui, OG, Southern Cal

*All above choices are subject to change at any time due to any law enforcement related incidents, crappy workouts, draft stock down grades from Mel Kiper, Jr. - Draft Expert & Nors - Draft Expert II, and so forth. ;)

Z-Man

Reaction score
Not bad.
I'll go with:

#1 Manny Lawson OLB
#2 Pat Watkins FS
#3 [SIZE=-1]Charles Spencer OG
[/SIZE]

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Z-Man said:
Not bad.
I'll go with:

#1 Manny Lawson OLB
#2 Pat Watkins FS
#3 [SIZE=-1]Charles Spencer OG
[/SIZE]
It seems like Tutui is not going to be available in the 3rd round now because of good Senior Bowl workouts. I think Spencer in the 3rd could be a damn good choice. He's 6-5, 335lbs. who can play OG or RT. Lawson is moving on up.....

neosapien23

Reaction score
1. Manny Lawson
2. Marcus McNeil (will drop to 2nd)
3. Lutui (Spencer will be gone)

neosapien23

Reaction score
5mics said:
It seems like Tutui is not going to be available in the 3rd round now because of good Senior Bowl workouts. I think Spencer in the 3rd could be a damn good choice. He's 6-5, 335lbs. who can play OG or RT. Lawson is moving on up.....

If thats the case then we're screwed. Spencer is playing himself into the 2nd round as well.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'll say we have 2 number 2's...
#1. Manny Lawson
#2.(early)Gabe Watson
#2. Max Guilles

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Trade next years 3 and Ellis.

That could work. I think Ellis could bring a 2nd on his own though. He has a very feasible contract, so we don't have to cut him.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
At some point, and since this may be BP last year, It wouldn't be out of the question for him to pull next years picks in order to grab more picks this year.

Basically go all out. Hey, if JJ could mortgage 2 #1 picks for Galloway, then I know we could use next years #1 to pick up another 1 this year.

If I had 2 number 1's, I would get Lawson and Carpenter, and put Carpenter at ILB (he would completely dominate)

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
At some point, and since this may be BP last year, It wouldn't be out of the question for him to pull next years picks in order to grab more picks this year.

Basically go all out. Hey, if JJ could mortgage 2 #1 picks for Galloway, then I know we could use next years #1 to pick up another 1 this year.

If I had 2 number 1's, I would get Lawson and Carpenter, and put Carpenter at ILB (he would completely dominate)

It would take more than just 1 number one from next year to get another number one this year. It would take a number 2 this year as well. I would not give that up. A good deal would be to trade a number 1 next year and Ellis for an extra number 1 this year. A team might take us up on this offer. I would take Lawson and someone else. We cannot afford to spend two high picks on the linebacking core. Burnett must start. I wouldn't mind taking taking either Santonio Holmes or Jay Cutler.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
It would take more than just 1 number one from next year to get another number one this year. It would take a number 2 this year as well. I would not give that up. A good deal would be to trade a number 1 next year and Ellis for an extra number 1 this year. A team might take us up on this offer. I would take Lawson and someone else. We cannot afford to spend two high picks on the linebacking core. Burnett must start. I wouldn't mind taking taking either Santonio Holmes or Jay Cutler.
Originally I was wanting an extra 2, but I'd give next years 1 and 5 and Ellis for a late round 1.

I hope to be a late 1 next year anyways, and I might as well get the players I like now. It may be too much to get two LB'rs in the first, so I would think of going inside at tackle. Whatever receiver you get will not play much this year, and Parcells is in love with the 3 he has.

We need starters coming out of the 1st 3 rounds IMO and not guys who are going to sit for a couple of years and learn. That's not what BP wants to do IMO.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Originally I was wanting an extra 2, but I'd give next years 1 and 5 and Ellis for a late round 1.

I hope to be a late 1 next year anyways, and I might as well get the players I like now. It may be too much to get two LB'rs in the first, so I would think of going inside at tackle. Whatever receiver you get will not play much this year, and Parcells is in love with the 3 he has.

We need starters coming out of the 1st 3 rounds IMO and not guys who are going to sit for a couple of years and learn. That's not what BP wants to do IMO.

I agree with your assessment. But if Santonio Homes or Jay Cutler is still there on our theoritical number 1, we have to make that pick. Holmes is going to be the next Terry Glenn. If Gleen would go down, Holmes would get the start not Crayton. We need someone else with speed at WR in case Glenn goes down. We can still get a very good tackle in the 2nd round, recievers are on short demand this year.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
What if both McNeil AND Jonathon Scott were both available when we pick in the 2nd round? Who would you take then? Me, I would take Scott. I believe he's a "truer" LT prospect who just needs to get stronger.....

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Doesn't matter...

I like Avant better.

I'm not sold on Avant. He drops too many easily catchable passes not to mention that he phased out of the Wolverines attack by Maningham.

VACowboy

Reaction score
FA:
LeCharles Bentley (C)
Kevin Barry (OT)
Ryan Longwell (K)

Draft:

1> Manny Lawson (OLB)
2> Kai Parham (ILB)
3> Pat Watkins (FS)
5> Drew Olsen (QB)
6> Jason Hunter (OLB)

Why?

I'm taking Jerry at his word when it comes to FA (that he's going all out). That means paying a bunch for Bentley. He is a big, strong (young and mean) Pro Bowl center who would cement our OL. Barry is big, young and good with a ton of upside, and he'll be relatively cheap. He comes in to battle with Petitti on the right side. Longwell has been reliable for years kicking in Green Bay conditions. He'll kick 90% in Texas Stadium.

My theory on the 2006 draft is two-fold: 1) we are a playmaking linebacker and a good coverage free safety away from dominance. I'm a huge Bobby Carpenter fan but I'm not drafting any injured players in the first round. If he's there when we pick in the second, he's the guy. Anyway. Lawson is the athletic playmaker we need opposite Ware. He's big, fast and ridiculously athletic. One thing most people don't know about him is that he's also very strong. Parham has been a stud ILB throughout his college career. He's played mike in Groh's 3-4 for the past three years and would start from day one. I'm really torn between Watkins and Anthony Smith. I chose Watkins for his freakish athleticism. We need a QB of the future and Olsen put up better numbers than Leinart did against roughly the same competition. He's deadly accurate, throws a nice long ball and makes great decisions. He doesn't have a huge arm, but ya can't have everything. Hunter was a hellion in the App State defense. At 6-4 and 235, he has good size and a frame to grow on. He had *101* tackles from his DE position (14 for a loss), 13 sacks, 4 passes defensed and an INT.

The second part of my draft theory is that you can't fix everything in one year. No WR here, and we'll soon need a replacement for Allen, but Key and Glenn are playing well and Gurode played well at guard subbing for Rivera. Next year's WR class looks to be a good one. We'll focus on WR and NT in '07.

So lets look at this:

We have an OL composed of Adams, Allen, Bentley, Rivera and Barry/Petitti. We've greatly improved OL depth with Al Johnson behind Bently, Gurode moving to full-time guard and probably Petitti backing up the tackles. I'd like to see Tucker try guard.

On the defensive side we've added three starters: an athletic SS OLB, a big, instinctive ILB and a coverage safety. This defense is big, young and full of playmakers.