just got in, initial thoughts

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
without reading through eveyrone else's stuff yet, here's my thoughts...most I am sure will echo what others said

1) that was quite possibly the worst OL effort I have ever seen...there is not one single guy, starter or reserve who played well...they looked slow, unmotivated and just basically got their arses whipped from start to finish...Torrin Tucker and Kurt Vollers both deserve to be cut, and niether will find work elsewhere...its also very obvious now why Andre Gurode started and Al Johnson didnt...Johnson was terrible...Petteti is a project...on ALOT of plays it really looked like the Cards were offsides, but only because our guys were so pathetically slow out of their stance...if this is the best Tony Sporano can do, we're in a world of hurt...I thought he was a bad hire as OL coach, and tonight did nothing to make me think I was wrong

2) Mike Zimmer still cant do jack when it comes to pressuring other teams QB's...I think we knocked their guy down 2 or 3 times tops...I know we were probably playing vanilla and were missing a couple of guys, but this just isnt what I expected to see

3) really cant say much about the QB's, other than that I was very impressed with Romo and Henson definitely can be something somewhere down the road...but all 3 of our QB's were rushed, hit, plastered etc etc all night by the worst OL I have ever seen...I do believe that with good OL play we can be fine, but whether we'll get good OL is an unknown

4) the rookies showed ok, but other than one or two plays I saw no pressure from our front 7, even when blizting...

5) Cundiff's leg looks stronger to me and he nailed two 47-48 yd fg's right down the middle...too bad the 2nd one didnt count due to penalty by terrible OL

6) Torrin Tucker was so bad, he deserves his own special recognition...if Parcells doesnt cut this bum pretty quick I'm not sure we can have much faith in him as a coach...this guy is just putrid...got flagged for 2 or 3 holding calls, missed tons of blocks and could have easily been flagged for 2 or 3 more OBVIOUS holds I saw

7) Keith Davis is not a FS

8) I thought the run defense was good...

9) Jason Witten is an ultra stud at TE

10) liked what I saw from MB3 and Tyson Thompson

11) Jacob Rogers, you are truly cursed

finally, I wasnt expecting miracles or total domination, but what I saw tonight was disturbing...I hope we were holding back because it was preseason game 1 and we play the Cards in again the 1st half of the season but this was just ugly..I really worry that Parcells has surrounded himself with a very poor coaching staff and just doesnt seem to motivate guys like he used to...the old Parcells would have ripped Tucker and Vollers a new one right there on the sideline...this Parcells let it go with basically a whimper..hell the old Parcells might have sent Tucker to the showers early, this one left the guy in the game the whole second half...I came away thinking that Parcells should have very little to do with the offense and spend more time helping Zimmer with the defense...the offense looked totally discombobulated and the play calling in general was poor...I didnt expect perfection, but I didnt expect to see the QB's hit virtually every play or OL's constantly running into each other either...

grade for game one...F

David

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I can't say I disagree with any of your initial thoughts David.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
without reading through eveyrone else's stuff yet, here's my thoughts...most I am sure will echo what others said

1) that was quite possibly the worst OL effort I have ever seen...there is not one single guy, starter or reserve who played well...they looked slow, unmotivated and just basically got their arses whipped from start to finish...Torrin Tucker and Kurt Vollers both deserve to be cut, and niether will find work elsewhere...its also very obvious now why Andre Gurode started and Al Johnson didnt...Johnson was terrible...Petteti is a project...on ALOT of plays it really looked like the Cards were offsides, but only because our guys were so pathetically slow out of their stance...if this is the best Tony Sporano can do, we're in a world of hurt...I thought he was a bad hire as OL coach, and tonight did nothing to make me think I was wrong

2) Mike Zimmer still cant do jack when it comes to pressuring other teams QB's...I think we knocked their guy down 2 or 3 times tops...I know we were probably playing vanilla and were missing a couple of guys, but this just isnt what I expected to see

3) really cant say much about the QB's, other than that I was very impressed with Romo and Henson definitely can be something somewhere down the road...but all 3 of our QB's were rushed, hit, plastered etc etc all night by the worst OL I have ever seen...I do believe that with good OL play we can be fine, but whether we'll get good OL is an unknown

4) the rookies showed ok, but other than one or two plays I saw no pressure from our front 7, even when blizting...

5) Cundiff's leg looks stronger to me and he nailed two 47-48 yd fg's right down the middle...too bad the 2nd one didnt count due to penalty by terrible OL

6) Torrin Tucker was so bad, he deserves his own special recognition...if Parcells doesnt cut this bum pretty quick I'm not sure we can have much faith in him as a coach...this guy is just putrid...got flagged for 2 or 3 holding calls, missed tons of blocks and could have easily been flagged for 2 or 3 more OBVIOUS holds I saw

7) Keith Davis is not a FS

8) I thought the run defense was good...

9) Jason Witten is an ultra stud at TE

10) liked what I saw from MB3 and Tyson Thompson

11) Jacob Rogers, you are truly cursed

finally, I wasnt expecting miracles or total domination, but what I saw tonight was disturbing...I hope we were holding back because it was preseason game 1 and we play the Cards in again the 1st half of the season but this was just ugly..I really worry that Parcells has surrounded himself with a very poor coaching staff and just doesnt seem to motivate guys like he used to...the old Parcells would have ripped Tucker and Vollers a new one right there on the sideline...this Parcells let it go with basically a whimper..hell the old Parcells might have sent Tucker to the showers early, this one left the guy in the game the whole second half...I came away thinking that Parcells should have very little to do with the offense and spend more time helping Zimmer with the defense...the offense looked totally discombobulated and the play calling in general was poor...I didnt expect perfection, but I didnt expect to see the QB's hit virtually every play or OL's constantly running into each other either...

grade for game one...F

David

Agreed. With everything. 100%.

Z-Man

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I came away thinking that Parcells should have very little to do with the offense and spend more time helping Zimmer with the defense...the offense looked totally discombobulated and the play calling in general was poor...I didnt expect perfection, but I didnt expect to see the QB's hit virtually every play or OL's constantly running into each other either...

grade for game one...F

David

Yep, no doubt Parcells needs to hire an OC. Calling run on first and second down on BOTH the first 2 possessions isn't going to cut it come real games.
The third possession he called 3 straight pass plays to compensate.:)

felix360

Reaction score
was it me or maybe our secondary wasn't too good either.
i mean warner threw for over a hundred yards in a quarter 1/2. was it because he had all day to throw the ball or just becuz our secondary couldnt cover fitzgerald?? what are ur thoughts on that??

Eddie

Reaction score
The death of our OL was when JJ handed out those huge bonus' to Flo and LA. Neither are near motivated, and both are making horrible impressions on the young kids.

JDSmith

Reaction score
We were running a base 3 -4 zone defense a lot of the time. I don't recall much in the way of blitzing. I saw Ware out in coverage. I think Parcells went in expecting to work on certain things, and he did. Since he's teaching everyone a new D it makes sense to me that he'd have them work on specific aspects during the first preseason game so he can get a look and have some film about how they reacted against an unfamiliar oppenent. If we had gone and played the way the Cards did, blitzing up a storm and playing it like a regular season game and we ended up winning 13 - 11, I'd feel worse about the game than I do now.

jimmy40

Reaction score
felix360 said:
was it me or maybe our secondary wasn't too good either.
i mean warner threw for over a hundred yards in a quarter 1/2. was it because he had all day to throw the ball or just becuz our secondary couldnt cover fitzgerald?? what are ur thoughts on that??
If Kurt Warner is over his thumb injury he will light alot of teams up, they will run an offense to get rid of the ball quick like he did in St. Louis. Remember his best receiver didn't even play.

jimmy40

Reaction score
JDSmith said:
We were running a base 3 -4 zone defense a lot of the time. I don't recall much in the way of blitzing. I saw Ware out in coverage. I think Parcells went in expecting to work on certain things, and he did. Since he's teaching everyone a new D it makes sense to me that he'd have them work on specific aspects during the first preseason game so he can get a look and have some film about how they reacted against an unfamiliar oppenent. If we had gone and played the way the Cards did, blitzing up a storm and playing it like a regular season game and we ended up winning 13 - 11, I'd feel worse about the game than I do now.
Ok let's let the excuses end and look forward to next week.

JDSmith

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Ok let's let the excuses end and look forward to next week.

It has nothing to do with excuses. It's the reality of the preseason. The D looked good for what they were doing. Ware looked good on his coverage responsibilites, and didn't look nearly as lost out there as I was afraid he would - since he was a DE in college.

Now on the other side of the ball it was a debacle. Specifically with the OL.

jimmy40

Reaction score
JDSmith said:
It has nothing to do with excuses. It's the reality of the preseason. The D looked good for what they were doing. Ware looked good on his coverage responsibilites, and didn't look nearly as lost out there as I was afraid he would - since he was a DE in college.

Now on the other side of the ball it was a debacle. Specifically with the OL.
It's always about excuses. The Cards were playing their Super Bowl, we were saving all our "special" plays, we were just evaluating and nobody Dallas has EVER played in the preseason does this, it's sickening.

parchy

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
It's always about excuses. The Cards were playing their Super Bowl, we were saving all our "special" plays, we were just evaluating and nobody Dallas has EVER played in the preseason does this, it's sickening.

And where was any of that in this thread?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
David, for once I can agree with you on most everything ... except Davis ... I don't want to write him off just yet ... but I see where you're coming from ... I agree on the Oline, too. That was the most disappointing thing about the game to me ...

Also, it seemed to me that we just weren't fired up ... we were playing rather lax and there seemed to be no sense of urgency ... the Cardinals had us beat in the hustle department and looked more motivated ...

I have my fingers crossed that this is only because it was a preseason game and they were told to take it easy ... otherwise, we need someone to go out there and fire this team up ... hopefully that gets fixed ....

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Z-Man said:
Yep, no doubt Parcells needs to hire an OC. Calling run on first and second down on BOTH the first 2 possessions isn't going to cut it come real games.
The third possession he called 3 straight pass plays to compensate.:)

Yeah I know its preseason, but if you're going to wear a shirt that says "winning is our business" you have to act like it - even in preseason.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I saw some 5-2 out there ... :D

(And nickel too, Mikey)

There were a couple of plays where I didn't know what I was seeing. It looked like everyone in the front 7 was down on the line of scrimmage... I couldn't tell who was who.

parchy

Reaction score
Redsz said:
I do hope you're joking or I have read this statement WAY out of context.

You read it out of context. He was making a really bad point.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Redsz said:
I do hope you're joking or I have read this statement WAY out of context.
Lol. Just *****ing about one of the 1,000,000 excuses my fellow Cowboys fans have come up with over a freaking preseason game that they say didn't mean anything. :bang2: