Just say NO to QB at #4

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Goff--Wentz--Lynch

Last year all three would have been drafted behind Winston and Marietta. Any of these guys could develop into a quality starting QB in 2-3 years. Any could be career backups. Time for the hype to end.

Romo is not old. According to reports and himself, his back and core are stronger than ever. A collar bone is a collar bone; I've never heard of a career ending due to a collar bone. Tony Romo's demise has been greatly exaggerated.

No one drafts a QB in the top five picks to sit behind a franchise QB for 2-3 years or longer. Even NE has planned twice to prepare for Brady's retirement, but never at the top. All this talk is just foolishness. Draft a super blue-chip defender at #4 or trade down for multiple picks and turn those into DL, LB, DB, and pick up a developmental QB, RB, and WR in middle rounds.

It's too early to pass on impact players who can help a legitimate playoff team with Romo and Dez healthy to take a talented, but developmental QB and sit him on the bench. Sorry, no way I'm buying that move. I hope the hype for all three QBs goes through the roof so that Dallas gets some great trade offers to think about vs a blue-chip defender.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I was against it at first but I'm leaning more towards qb now. Dallas is a long ways away from competing for a sb. Might as well try get the future qb. Romo could be done next year we don't know for sure. But I'm in for going all in for romo but don't see them getting to the big dance the next 2 or 3 years no matter what they do.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo is not old. According to reports and himself, his back and core are stronger than ever. A collar bone is a collar bone; I've never heard of a career ending due to a collar bone. Tony Romo's demise has been greatly exaggerated

Wait, this sounds vaguely familiar. Oh yea, right before he hurt his back in the first game and broke bones in the others. This while he was a year younger.

Fortunately the GM is sharper than most fans.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Goff--Wentz--Lynch

Last year all three would have been drafted behind Winston and Marietta. Any of these guys could develop into a quality starting QB in 2-3 years. Any could be career backups. Time for the hype to end.

Romo is not old. According to reports and himself, his back and core are stronger than ever. A collar bone is a collar bone; I've never heard of a career ending due to a collar bone. Tony Romo's demise has been greatly exaggerated.

No one drafts a QB in the top five picks to sit behind a franchise QB for 2-3 years or longer. Even NE has planned twice to prepare for Brady's retirement, but never at the top. All this talk is just foolishness. Draft a super blue-chip defender at #4 or trade down for multiple picks and turn those into DL, LB, DB, and pick up a developmental QB, RB, and WR in middle rounds.

It's too early to pass on impact players who can help a legitimate playoff team with Romo and Dez healthy to take a talented, but developmental QB and sit him on the bench. Sorry, no way I'm buying that move. I hope the hype for all three QBs goes through the roof so that Dallas gets some great trade offers to think about vs a blue-chip defender.

Very astute post and I've heard the same thing - that this class of QB's are not big time franchise guys - yet. However, it doesn't mean they can't be or won't eventually be but in other years they would not be this high. The frenzy of QB's in the NFL is like chum in the water. Only about half the league has a chance to win with the QB's they have so the pressure to find one is immense thus raising the stock of every player who had a decent college career.

As I've said before, Cleveland might take Wentz not necessarily because they think he's that awesome as compared to other overall number one picks - but because they can't afford not to find out.

Although I think Romo will be fine for a couple more years I can see the same logic applied to us.

Reactions: BAT

reddyuta

Reaction score
there are so many things wrong with the OP that i wont even start.I also really hate the words "developmental QB",you can either play or your cant.there is no point in drafting a talentless QB who has no shot of ever being a franchise QB.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
And when Goff or Wentz turn out to be JAGS, not the answer at QB, will you still think the selection at 4 was the smart move? None of these guys were rated at the top of boards throughout the year. Almost every draft guru said that Goff and Lynch should have returned to school, that neither is ready. Now Wentz is the golden boy of the moment. You can be sure that reports Dallas scouts knew about him and were hoping he wouldn't blow up like this is because they were considering him at 34, not at 4.

I don't pretend to know much, but I have seen games of all three, and what I saw didn't remind me of the big time QBs we are used to seeing in the top 3-4 picks of the draft. These guys are not top 5 talent.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
And when Goff or Wentz turn out to be JAGS, not the answer at QB, will you still think the selection at 4 was the smart move? None of these guys were rated at the top of boards throughout the year. Almost every draft guru said that Goff and Lynch should have returned to school, that neither is ready. Now Wentz is the golden boy of the moment. You can be sure that reports Dallas scouts knew about him and were hoping he wouldn't blow up like this is because they were considering him at 34, not at 4.

I don't pretend to know much, but I have seen games of all three, and what I saw didn't remind me of the big time QBs we are used to seeing in the top 3-4 picks of the draft. These guys are not top 5 talent.

If you can see that these guys are going to be JAGs .. Look into that Chrystal ball and get me the powerball numbers. I'll cut you in

RS12

Reaction score
Incredibly short sighted and I disagree with most of it. The problem I have is the staff here gives me no confidence they can develop a QB. Biggest problem I have with this short sighted view point is that franchise QBs dont appear when you want them too. They have to be drafted and developed. Statistically speaking you find more franchise QBs in round one and decreases as you go to other rounds. Play the percentages.

reddyuta

Reaction score

Wentz is a fifth year senior,Goff is a 3 year starter and has shown massive improvement every year.you post again doesnt make sense.what has this gunshyness about drafting QBs got us in 20 years after Aikaman?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Very astute post and I've heard the same thing - that this class of QB's are not big time franchise guys - yet. However, it doesn't mean they can't be or won't eventually be but in other years they would not be this high. The frenzy of QB's in the NFL is like chum in the water. Only about half the league has a chance to win with the QB's they have so the pressure to find one is immense thus raising the stock of every player who had a decent college career.

As I've said before, Cleveland might take Wentz not necessarily because they think he's that awesome as compared to other overall number one picks - but because they can't afford not to find out.

Although I think Romo will be fine for a couple more years I can see the same logic applied to us.

I hope they do nab Wentz (which allows the guy I want to fall right into our hands). JARED

ilykdrama

Reaction score
If you think Wentz, Lynch or Goff is a FRANCHISE QB, take them at 4. Otherwise wait. Lot of QB's in the draft. Hogan, Hackenberg, Brissett, Allen, Kessler, all QB's that should go in the 2nd round or later.