Just switched my wife over to FireFox...

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
... but I'm concerned about potential spyware and the like.

What do you recommend a person do in order to clean out any past problems? My wife wasn't experiencing anything, but we are very inexperienced with this sort of thing. What should we do as a precautionary measure?

Thank you in advance.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
davidyee said:

What do you recommend a person do in order to clean out any past problems? My wife wasn't experiencing anything, but we are very inexperienced with this sort of thing. What should we do as a precautionary measure?

Thank you in advance.

No worries as of yet... the spyware hackers haven't turned their attention to firefox as of yet...

And since it is open code... it will have those that work to combat it...

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
trickblue said:
No worries as of yet... the spyware hackers haven't turned their attention to firefox as of yet...

And since it is open code... it will have those that work to combat it...

... my wife ran her new computer with IE for at least three weeks before I just switched her over this evening.

Should I be concerned here?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
davidyee said:
... my wife ran her new computer with IE for at least three weeks before I just switched her over this evening.

Should I be concerned here?

Yes and no... she will have no problems as long as she doesn't use IE again... just in case... get this free download of ad-aware... it will clean up your registry from pirate trackers...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
davidyee said:

Thank you in advance.

David, go to download.com, and download 2 free programs-- AdAware, and SpyBot... just type those names into the search engine you'll find on their home page...

Install both programs, and run them, one at a time... they are both excellent programs, but SpyBot always finds things that AdAware misses, and AdAware finds things that SpyBot misses...

Use of these programs is pretty self-explanatory, and they will scour your hard drive for any spyware that might be hidden in there, then remove it... the free version won't allow it to scan in the background while you're working, but if you run it about once a week, you should stay reasonably spyware-free...

And if you don't have a good firewall, you can get an excellent free one at download.com, called ZoneAlarm...

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
I use firefox and just ran spybot.. I have not found a single item since switching to it 6 mos ago... I use to be loaded with crap when I ran IE. Good job switching her over... she will like it and it will save you migraines.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I use both FF and IE and at the moment, your system is much safer running FF though IE on Windows XP with SP2 (service pack 2) is somewhat secure as well. The main reason though FF is safer is because hackers haven't focused on it yet due to only a small fraction of users using it. You can bet that once the FF user base represents 20% or more of the browser users, the ad and spyware companies (along with hackers) will find ways to exploit it.

The important thing to keep in mind though is that when an FF exploit is announced, you are almost guaranteed that a *fixed* version will be released within 24-48 hours. With Microsoft, the fixes usually do not get released until the national media (AP, Reuters, Slashdot, etc.) publish about it first.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...who contributed to this thread. I took your suggestions installed and ran the programs. It was a breeze.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I never really liked my Spybot too much. It seems really finicky. I've ran it and taken down spyware and will run it again and it will end up taking down different crap. Some stuff it just can't remove and that's when it's time for a fresh OS install or a complete HD format.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Just be careful because Firefox is not a guarantee to be spyware proof. For right now it's simply much safer because it's better coded but more importantly the bad guys are still focused on I.E. In the past you would never get a pop-up box of Firefox,now there's a few that'll come up.

A third program I reccomend is Spywareblaster, this app works to prevent spyware so run this app before you surf (Make sure you also update the database, it's on the lower left hand side of the box).

Now that you have Firefox let's add some toys to it: Extensions are free ad ons that can help personalize your browser.[/url]

For what it's worth, here are my reccomendations:

Ad-Block - Highly, highly highly reccomend this, when you see a banner ad you'll notice a tab that says Ad-Block on it, highlight it (And it'll bring up a box with a link), select ok and whamo! The banner ad is now on your blocked list. A side bonus is if you go to a site with a media file and you're curious to know the direct link, Ad-Block will show it to you.

Download them All - If you like to leech (Argh!) files from a page or FTP then this app is for you. For ex. someone posted a link that hosted all the Cowboy videos, to get all of them (Let's just say there were 15 of them) you can either 1) Right-click 15 times and select "save as" or 2) Right-click once, select Downloadthemall, then hit ok. Works on any type of files, not just media.

Download Manager Tweak - I like this because if you decide to download manually, the downloads (Instead of being on a seperate box) will be on the lower left of your browser, so you'll be able to see it but not have it in your way.

TinyURL Creator - Instead of posting a link of http://ekfghekjgekghsekgjhregkjerhgkjrges.net TinyURL creator will create a more friendly link, say tinyurl.com/5ukl

Dictionary Search - For the poor speller in all of us

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
GTaylor said:
Just be careful because Firefox is not a guarantee to be spyware proof. For right now it's simply much safer because it's better coded but more importantly the bad guys are still focused on I.E. In the past you would never get a pop-up box of Firefox,now there's a few that'll come up.

A third program I reccomend is Spywareblaster, this app works to prevent spyware so run this app before you surf (Make sure you also update the database, it's on the lower left hand side of the box).

Now that you have Firefox let's add some toys to it: Extensions are free ad ons that can help personalize your browser.[/url]

For what it's worth, here are my reccomendations:

Ad-Block - Highly, highly highly reccomend this, when you see a banner ad you'll notice a tab that says Ad-Block on it, highlight it (And it'll bring up a box with a link), select ok and whamo! The banner ad is now on your blocked list. A side bonus is if you go to a site with a media file and you're curious to know the direct link, Ad-Block will show it to you.

Download them All - If you like to leech (Argh!) files from a page or FTP then this app is for you. For ex. someone posted a link that hosted all the Cowboy videos, to get all of them (Let's just say there were 15 of them) you can either 1) Right-click 15 times and select "save as" or 2) Right-click once, select Downloadthemall, then hit ok. Works on any type of files, not just media.

Download Manager Tweak - I like this because if you decide to download manually, the downloads (Instead of being on a seperate box) will be on the lower left of your browser, so you'll be able to see it but not have it in your way.

TinyURL Creator - Instead of posting a link of http://ekfghekjgekghsekgjhregkjerhgkjrges.net TinyURL creator will create a more friendly link, say tinyurl.com/5ukl

Dictionary Search - For the poor speller in all of us

...muchos gracias! I've seen your responses on other threads and it's great to have resources like you and the others. I'll give these a try.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
davidyee said:
...muchos gracias! I've seen your responses on other threads and it's great to have resources like you and the others. I'll give these a try.
Check out extensions FlashGot, Dictionary Search and Forecast Fox in addition to ones mentionned above.