Just watched 3 on ESPN....

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Even if you're not a Dale Earnhardt fan, and I am not, the movie was great. If you are a NASCAR fan you will love the movie. If you are not you will still probably like it. Very well done. Amazing how much the actors looked like the people they were playing. Except for Theresa, Dales last wife. IT was the woman who played in Santa Clause 2, Mrs. Clause. I kept thinking, Man, Dale bagged Mrs. Clause. Anyway, if they repeat it, take a look at it. Very good flick.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Even if you're not a Dale Earnhardt fan, and I am not, the movie was great. If you are a NASCAR fan you will love the movie. If you are not you will still probably like it. Very well done. Amazing how much the actors looked like the people they were playing. Except for Theresa, Dales last wife. IT was the woman who played in Santa Clause 2, Mrs. Clause. I kept thinking, Man, Dale bagged Mrs. Clause. Anyway, if they repeat it, take a look at it. Very good flick.

I guess nobody would be surprised that I watched it. Being as I'm probably the biggest NASCAR fan that hangs out here. Dale Sr was the driver I watched growing up.

You are right about the movie. Pepper looked so much like Sr. But the real Jr is much more a hottie than the one that played him in the movie. The thing I liked the most about the movie is they concentrated on his whole career and spent but a minute on the accident that killed him. I was worried that the movie was gonna center around his death and glorify it... I'm so glad it didn't.

Just made me miss watching him drive even more. He was awesome to watch and his son Jr. is a chip off the ol block..

BTW.. It is replaying after Sports Center in a bit. And the actress that played Teresa is the same one that was Dennis Quaids wife in the movie Frequency

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
I'm only 20 years old and to be honest have had no real intrest in NASCAR, but I've been trying to watch it on most weekends I can.

This movie was great. I watched the race Dale died in, and it was an eye opener thats for sure.

I wish the movie showed more It seemed rush to me in a two hour time period. It was a real intresting story non the less.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Encore said:
I'm only 20 years old and to be honest have had no real intrest in NASCAR, but I've been trying to watch it on most weekends I can.

This movie was great. I watched the race Dale died in, and it was an eye opener thats for sure.

I wish the movie showed more It seemed rush to me in a two hour time period. It was a real intresting story non the less.

Even if the movie was 4 hrs it would have seemed rushed. You are talking about 30+ yrs of a career. They concentrated on the important aspects of his career and what made him the champion that he was.. what made him the Intimidator.

If you want to understand the man more and why he was so popular, I'd suggest getting the DVD that is being released on the 14th. Its a 2 dvd set and has 5 hrs of race and interview highlights along with the movie we just watched. I know I'm asking Santa to put it in my stocking

azcowboy

Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
I guess nobody would be surprised that I watched it. Being as I'm probably the biggest NASCAR fan that hangs out here. Dale Sr was the driver I watched growing up.

You are right about the movie. Pepper looked so much like Sr. But the real Jr is much more a hottie than the one that played him in the movie. The thing I liked the most about the movie is they concentrated on his whole career and spent but a minute on the accident that killed him. I was worried that the movie was gonna center around his death and glorify it... I'm so glad it didn't.

Just made me miss watching him drive even more. He was awesome to watch and his son Jr. is a chip off the ol block..

BTW.. It is replaying after Sports Center in a bit. And the actress that played Teresa is the same one that was Dennis Quaids wife in the movie Frequency

oh thank you sooo much!! I missed the first one and didn't know it was replayed again tonight!!

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:

I thought the end of the movie was great. I won't give it away, but if you watched the very beginning then the end, it was a real nice touch.

Funny thing was when they showed Neil Bonnett and how Dale dealt with that my wife was balling like a baby.

As far as being a big NASCAR fan, none bigger than me. I go every year to Poccono twice and I have a friend who drives the Panasonic car in the Busch circuit so I get to go to a bunch of the races and get in the pits or watch from the roofs of the haulers.

And something about Dale that not many know. There was a guy that ran Dale Earnhardt enterprises for awhile, his name was Don Hawk. The guy came to a Christian festival we were having to talk about NASCAR and the drivers and all of that. His fee for speaking was 500.00. Now, our ministry makes it a policy that whenever an artist or speaker is done with their obligation, we give them a check for their fee.

When Don came off the stage, I did exactly that. HE took it and said thank you. He said I have something for you in the car. So I walked over to the car and he pulled out a "3" hat and a t-shirt. I said thanks but it might be hard for me to wear since I'm a big Darrell Waltrip fan. He said well that's not all. He handed me an envelope and told me to open it. I did and in it was a check written and signed by Dale from his personal bank account for 3,000.00 made out to our ministry. I was floored. Hawk said that he had checked us out and saw what we were trying to do and he told Dale.

Dale was impressed with us and wrote the check. HE also said that if we wanted him to come and speak he would do so. That next February, Dale died at Daytona.

Anyway, I thought since you were a NASCAR fan you might find that interesting.

Oh and btw, Everytime we mention someone famous, Novacek, Eric Roberts, Dale Jr., you seem to have this thing about them being hotties. You need to get out a bit more often.

J/K :D

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I thought the end of the movie was great. I won't give it away, but if you watched the very beginning then the end, it was a real nice touch.

Funny thing was when they showed Neil Bonnett and how Dale dealt with that my wife was balling like a baby.

As far as being a big NASCAR fan, none bigger than me. I go every year to Poccono twice and I have a friend who drives the Panasonic car in the Busch circuit so I get to go to a bunch of the races and get in the pits or watch from the roofs of the haulers.

And something about Dale that not many know. There was a guy that ran Dale Earnhardt enterprises for awhile, his name was Don Hawk. The guy came to a Christian festival we were having to talk about NASCAR and the drivers and all of that. His fee for speaking was 500.00. Now, our ministry makes it a policy that whenever an artist or speaker is done with their obligation, we give them a check for their fee.

When Don came off the stage, I did exactly that. HE took it and said thank you. He said I have something for you in the car. So I walked over to the car and he pulled out a "3" hat and a t-shirt. I said thanks but it might be hard for me to wear since I'm a big Darrell Waltrip fan. He said well that's not all. He handed me an envelope and told me to open it. I did and in it was a check written and signed by Dale from his personal bank account for 3,000.00 made out to our ministry. I was floored. Hawk said that he had checked us out and saw what we were trying to do and he told Dale.

Dale was impressed with us and wrote the check. HE also said that if we wanted him to come and speak he would do so. That next February, Dale died at Daytona.

Anyway, I thought since you were a NASCAR fan you might find that interesting.

Oh and btw, Everytime we mention someone famous, Novacek, Eric Roberts, Dale Jr., you seem to have this thing about them being hotties. You need to get out a bit more often.

J/K :D

Great story cajun... but I'm still the bigger fan...LOL

I've been a NASCAR fan for so long I can't remember when I started liking it. Ask Trickblue, he thinks I'm too fanatical about it. I had an apartment almost completely dedicated to NASCAR, complete with a 65 dollar blow up Dale Jr chair, curtains, dinnerware, P.Js, Posters, banners, etc... It's all in my sons room now and he hardly has room to get around with all the stuff I collected over the years.

For my birthday in 2003, the guy I was dating at the time sent me and my son to Fandango at the Texas Motor Speedway. We got to talk to Michael Waltrip before we went in. My son was wearing an old beat up Dale Sr Intimidator baseball cap that I got back in the 90s. Michael Waltrip took it off his head, looked at it and said, you like that hat don't you? My son said yes sir. Michael said... Dale was a good man. Then he said to my son.. I'm not the man, but I'd be happy to sign that hat for him. Erik was thrilled. Michael signed his cap, ruffled my sons hair, smiled at him and told him to be good.

After talking to him for a minute and having him sign a Datona replica car, a few caps, a tank top - we tried to find our seat. A guy came up and asked if we needed help finding our place and he showed us there.. Erik was all excited and pulling on my arm. I didn't realize it but it was Kyle Petty and Erik was trying to get my attention. Our seats were at the stage. I sat there with my elbows on the black and white checkered stage watching and laughing at the things Michael Waltrip, Rusty Wallace, Robbie Gordon and a few others were saying. About that time, the camera man stood in front of me and I couldn't see. I tapped him on the leg and asked that he move a bit and he did. Then he moved in front of me again... after the third time of him doing that, I popped him on the leg and told him to move cuz I couldn't see through him... A lady screamed behind me and said "oh my God! It's Dale Earnhardt Jr"... I looked up and there he was. I said " Holy s***, you're Dale Earnhardt Jr" and he said "yep", laughed and went up on stage with Budweiser beer for the others and sat down. We watched the thing and when they had questions, Myself and other women asked him if he wore boxers, briefs or boxer briefs..LOL. Afterwards, I made a remark to Erik about what a great birthday present it was for us (our b-days are 3 days apart). The security guard asked if it was our b-days and I said yes and that Mikey and Jr were my b-day present. He got on the radio and said that we were there for our birthdays... next thing I know, Michael Waltrip and Jr walked across the stage to my son and I. I got a kiss on the cheek and a hug from both of them for my birthday. My son still likes to tell his friends that his mom got kissed by his favorite driver.. Dale Jr.

I went to the Radio Shack 500 last year and sat in the pits. I was about 10 ft from Bobby LaBonte and 20 ft from Jr and Kasey Kahne when they were putting on their firesuits. I tell you what.. sitting that close when they get the "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines" blows you away... literally.

Those were great experiences.. Not as great as meeting Pearson and Lockhardt at the trouncing of the Eagles last year with Chad (Trickblue).. but a dream come true just the same.

BTW.. the Eric Roberts being a hottie was a joke in that thread and as far as the others.. They are hotties, but that doesn't mean I need to get out more, just means I appreciate a good looking man when I see one. :D

jamez25

Reaction score
the only NASCAR race i watch is the Daytona 500 and I really enjoy it....I liked "3" and recomend it...Daryl Waltrip sure seemed like a alittle prick .

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
i dont like NASCAR(too complicated http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v194/dmxinsd/lol.gif) but i did like the movie Days Of Thunder

azcowboy

Reaction score
dang that was awesome!! thanks to cajun cowboy for postin the thread so i could see/remember it. What a great show and i'm not even that big of a nascar fan.

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
Great Story Princess.

I have a question about the movie and NASCAR in general.

It seemed as if Dale and DW didn't get along at all in the early days. What did they do to become great friends at the end or were they really not that close? Now, I get that from watching FOX and DW calling the race and praises Dale so much. How'd they turn out to be friends?

Also, How did Jr start raceing for Budwiser? Wasn't that DW main sponser?

I guess there is plenty of story lines I don't know about. But, Im willing to listen.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Encore said:
Great Story Princess.

It seemed as if Dale and DW didn't get along at all in the early days. What did they do to become great friends at the end or were they really not that close? Now, I get that from watching FOX and DW calling the race and praises Dale so much. How'd they turn out to be friends?

I guess there is plenty of story lines I don't know about. But, Im willing to listen.

Dale and DW didn't get along in the beginning cuz they were young and competitive if I remember right. They became friends or at least got along better as they got older. As for the Budweiser sponsor, I believe DW had retired by the time Jr started driving and Dale Sr got that sponsor for him.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
ESPN's movies are great. They are actually theatre qaulity imo...

I love these smilies
chainsaw.gif

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
DW lost the Bud sponsorship when he left Jr Johnson to start his own team, Several other drivers had the sponsorship after that but the only one who really did well was Bill Elliott (one of my all time favs along with Richard Petty).

I'm not an Earnhardt fan either but I enjoyed it.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Tio said:

I love these smilies
chainsaw.gif

I thought the same thing about this movie. Can you imagine how much money could have been made for Victory Junction from the movie being in theaters with all the Nascar and Earnhardt fans out there...

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Encore said:
Great Story Princess.

DW wasn't too well liked early on. He was very much like Earnhardt in that he was very competitive. They didn't get cloes until Darrell Got saved and he started to make amends for his past. HE apologized to alot of people. Specifically Dale becasue he was so hard on him when he was just getting started. DW ran one of the twin Bud cars along with Niel Bonnett for Jr. Johnson but that sposorship went away before he left Johnson. I believe he drove one year after that with the Gatorade car but I can't remembver for sure. I know he drove with KFC as a sponsor as well.

jamez25

Reaction score
Tio said:

I love these smilies
chainsaw.gif
apparently you didn't see the Bobby Knight movie they made...

jcollins28

Reaction score
I never was a fan of Dale Earnhardt and after watching this movie I wish I was. For me I was always rooting agaisnt him that I guess I never really paid that much attention to him. I can say that during his day I uderrated my appreciation of him.

Also you guys are all missing one very important fact that was portrayed in the film. Even the internet's favorite hairy backed 3 fan was portrayed how is that for authenticity! I wonder how Waltrip likes his portrayal, the movie doesn't really "redeem" him ?

Neil Bonnet comes off as a bit of a dufus, which is totally opposite what I remember of him during his TV stint before his illfated decision to return to racing.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
jcollins28 said:
I never was a fan of Dale Earnhardt and after watching this movie I wish I was. For me I was always rooting agaisnt him that I guess I never really paid that much attention to him. I can say that during his day I uderrated my appreciation of him.

Also you guys are all missing one very important fact that was portrayed in the film. Even the internet's favorite hairy backed 3 fan was portrayed how is that for authenticity! I wonder how Waltrip likes his portrayal, the movie doesn't really "redeem" him ?

Neil Bonnet comes off as a bit of a dufus, which is totally opposite what I remember of him during his TV stint before his illfated decision to return to racing.

Actually, I thought they made DW look milder than he really was back then. If I remember right, he was quite the jerk- a complete opposite of his brother Michael. As for NB, I thought they portrayed him as a good ol boy more than a dufus.

I noticed the hairy #3 and got a laugh out of it. I did notice that a lot of the famous pics of Dale were recreated on the shows scenes. Especially of him and Jr when Jr was a young boy. I've read several books on Dale Sr and Jr including Jrs Autobiography of his rookie year called Driver #8. And the movie was pretty accurate from what I read and remember from those early years.

I'm sorry you didn't get to appreciate him more. He wasn't just a great driver and according to Richard Petty, the best driver in NASCAR history... he was a great innovator in the sport.

Something that surprised me is that I didn't know that Jr was the one that had to tell his daddy about NB's wreck and death.. or that Dale Sr. found his daddy Ralph in the garage dead that way... tough times for the both of them

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
or that Dale Sr. found his daddy Ralph in the garage dead that way... tough times for the both of them

On the DE special I saw one of the interviewed mentioned that Mrs. E found Ralph dead on the kitchen floor. The movie confused me on this one. Either way, it was a really good movie. ESPN got this one right.