Just Wondering... Matt Cassell

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Wanted to get some input on this... What would it take for us to get Matt Cassell?? This though popped in my head after seeing the Ragone trade...

He's a relative unknown, never really playing in college at USC, so he may come cheap. But the Pats have been mildly playing him up, so maybe they're looking to unload him. I can't imagine they really think they could hold onto him with Brady there long term... of course you never know with injuries and such.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Au.Ycjdmo_qink6_9U9zM.Q5nYcB?slug=cr-patriots062006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Paper chase By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
June 20, 2006

One of the Patriots who stood out in the team's final minicamp practice was the team's 2005 seventh-round pick, Matt Cassel. Clearly, someone in the franchise did his homework on Cassel, who saw virtually no action in college (33 total pass attempts) while sitting behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC. Now the 6-foot-5, 230-pound quarterback has the look of a very promising project.

"He's way ahead of where he was last year," head coach Bill Belichick said. "… He's a smart kid. He learns things well. He picks up information pretty quickly. You don't have to keep repeating the same thing over and over again. He understands that. He has good comprehension. But when things start happening for real with pads on and a faster pace [and] the defense is doing different things and all that, we'll be able to measure that."

Interestingly, New England elected to keep Cassel around in the offseason rather than send him to NFL Europe to get some live action. Instead, he has spent the last few months immersed in the Patriots offense and should be the team's No. 2 quarterback – even if they sign a veteran to compete with him in training camp.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If NE is counting on him to be the #2 QB, I can't see them trading him away. You need 2 good QB's in todays NFL.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I think there is a sort of gentleman's agreement in place between BP and his son-in-law.

Leave our guys alone and we'll leave yours alone.

Except for that purported Ty Law trade....I guess that blows the theory out of the water. :lmao2:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
uh, why would we want him over whats here? and why the heck would we want to consider TRADING something to get him?

David

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Again, this shows why the Pats are great. With Bledsoe on board, they draft Brady. Now, with Brady at the helm they continue to draft young QBs. Cassel looked great in pre-season last year and even in limited play late in the regular season.

His performance last pre-season reminded me of the way Matt Hasselbeck used to play for Green Bay every pre-season until the Seahawks acquired him. I could see Cassel being the same type of prospect Hasselbeck was for Green Bay.

I doubt NE would trade Cassel at this point, but if I was Bill I would be looking at him closely. I believe he's a guy who, in another couple of years, they will have to move and once he gets his shot he will be good.