J'vonne Parker, huge dude

Big Dakota

Reaction score
A couple of blurbs from Browns sites.

DL J'vonne Parker (6-4, 325, Rutgers)
Parker is an imposing physical presence who played just one season for Rutgers after transferring from Howard. In 11 games in 2004, he garnered 19 tackles, including 3.5 tackles for loss. Has the size to play nose tackle or defensive end on the pro level.

J'Vonne Parker only played 19 football games in college. But, he is yet another all-around athlete that Romeo Crennel seems to favor so much. The 6-4 Parker was also a starting center on his high school basketball team.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
NextGenBoys said:
Something about picking him up from the BROWNS practice squad doesnt give me too much confidence in him. But time will tell

I said it before, and just once more,

"One man's trash is another man's treasure." We'll see if that holds true, but he is on the active roster, so that is a big jump for the guy coming off Cleveland's practice squad.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:
Nose Tackle Added
Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells had said throughout training camp that either Thomas Johnson or Montavious Stanley would need to rise to the occasion in order to back up starting nose tackle Jason Ferguson.

Apparently, neither one did.
I simply love agressive management. JJ and BP are to be commended for their efforts in always looking to upgrade the talent on our roster. BP has a standard for NT's and neither Stanley or Pepper was able to reach it. Time to move on. :bow:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
Yeah, as many Jersey ties that are on this team, we might need to change the name of our team

Hmmmm, the Dallas Toxic Waste Dumps...

Yeah, it's got a nice ring to it... :D

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I can't believe we cut Johnson.

Bigger surprise to me than Petitti.

Big surprise to me as well QD. Especially considering it was for a castoff guy that has never really played. Man, Pepper and Stanley must have really tanked?

Silverstar

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I can't believe we cut Johnson.

Bigger surprise to me than Petitti.

Johnson and Pettiti were the flavor last year.

McQuistan and Parker are the new flavor this year.

Next year...??

Silverstar

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
I simply love agressive management. JJ and BP are to be commended for their efforts in always looking to upgrade the talent on our roster. BP has a standard for NT's and neither Stanley or Pepper was able to reach it. Time to move on. :bow:

I'm with you...

This guy Parker is young and looks like and upgrade in size at least. Which is the first thing you look for a quality NT.

Also, if rookies Watkins, Hoyte and Hurd are better than Davis, Boiman and Copper...so be it.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Silverstar said:
Johnson and Pettiti were the flavor last year.

McQuistan and Parker are the new flavor this year.

Next year...??

Considering Bill said today Pat Q is the most talented young OLman he's had since he's been here, i doubt he's a "flavor". At least not is the next 12 months. He's one of those 3 year guys IMHO. But i do agree you can't take Bill literally. He did say Pepper was a "God's send" last year. So muuch for what he sent:D so ya never know. IMHO i just think Bill talks some of these guys up for good reason and he hopes, like the rest of us that these guys continue to advace and grow. Sometimes all of a sudden, dispite a jump in performance in the past, these kids hit a wall and fail to progress. That's when Bill has to make a judgement. Unfortunately in cases like Rob, Pepper and Copper, it gets to be a numers game and not really a "futures" game.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Just to point something out.

Parker has 7 tackles in 2 games of the preseason (4 in the 1st vs Philly and 3 in the 4th preseason game vs Chicago). No tackles for loss but the largest gain listed for his tackles is 1 for 6 yards and all others were 4 yards or less. Unfortunately.. ALL of them were in the 2nd half of each game.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Wood said:
His hometown is Newark NJ. I can tell you he has to be a tough guy to have lived there. Tough city.

No joke.

I wouldn't want my car to die there late at night (tho it's not nearly as bad as it used to be).

Whenever I think of Newark and football (which I must admit is almost never), I think of the Goldie Hawn movie Wildcats.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
TEK2000 said:
Just to point something out.

Parker has 7 tackles in 2 games of the preseason (4 in the 1st vs Philly and 3 in the 4th preseason game vs Chicago). No tackles for loss but the largest gain listed for his tackles is 1 for 6 yards and all others were 4 yards or less. Unfortunately.. ALL of them were in the 2nd half of each game.

Obviously they see something in the big kid. He fits the size demands for NT and the staff has watched all the film there is to offer on this guy i'm quite sure. Also, it probably says as much about what Pepper and Stanley didn't do, as much as it says how much they think of this guy. To me, it's obvious that pepper and Stanley just didn't get it done, and for a 3-4 team to NOT have a realiable backup NT is scary.

OBTW, i think Bill thinks Jay Rat can play a few snaps per game at NT.