Kaiser Rolls out notes on Eagles game

Kaiser

Reaction score
The big news from the Eagles game wasn’t just the blowout score, it was the defense finally showing up. Why does this defense finally play well in Week 7? Is it Health? Execution? Adrenaline?

Its really all three but its mostly health, which allows the team to finally execute. The adrenaline from a Division Game helps. If you watch Jaylon Smith, Maliek Collins and DLaw (probably Sean Lee also) in this game they are clearly healthier now. Our defense is built around the DL and this was the first game this year that all four DL starters were fully healthy. They executed exactly what the scheme is – Woods occupies two guys, Collins is active and the two DE rush off the edge. Then the LBs cover half of North America. This really was the first game that all the pieces were in place and they worked well.

That DL and its depth were the biggest topic of offseason threads here. Remember all the threads that Dak was a below average QB? Where are those now? Remember the threads that Conner Williams sucked? Didn’t he just play Fletcher Cox without a hitch?

I can’t really explain it but there is something about Antwuan Woods that I love. One of my favorite moments of this game was the strip sack by DLaw where Woods fought off a blocker to get close the ball, then pull it in.

Sean Lee was much more active in this game, I don’t know if that is because of health or adrenaline, but its pretty cool that our 3rd best LB is a two time Pro Bowlers and I really don’t care that he hasn’t shown up until now.

The big thing about the first TD run by Tavon Austin wasn’t the six points, it was the fact that opposing defenses have to account for our 4th/5th WR. The same goes for Maher hitting a 63 yard field goal, the impact is that opponents have to account for that ability.

Zeke looks like he is in better shape now but the OL executed well against a good Eagles DL. Kellen Moore is a guy playing chess with multiple chess pieces, but if you can consistently bludgeon a team with 8 yard carries on 1st down, you are going to win the game.

When Amari Cooper is playing through an injury, he is still a good WR. When he is 100% like Sunday, he is dominant. He made the type of unstoppable plays that can carry you deep into the playoffs.

Preparing for the playoffs, its going to be a big advantage that our Division is terrible. When we can rest guys like Tyron Smith, DLaw and Amari Cooper they will make a bigger impact once the playoffs start.

Collinsworth marvels at the arm strength of Wentz. On the next play the snap hits him in the hands and he drops it. Which was more fun to watch? Wentz dropping a shotgun snap or Wentz getting sacked by the worst tackler on our team and limping off?

The correct answer is “Yes”.

This game was well officiated and didn’t have any ridiculously bad calls. The fact that it is newsworthy for that to happen is depressing.

dfense

Reaction score
I noticed the 2 LB packages were limited. Even when LVE went out, they kept 3 backers on the field.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When Amari Cooper is playing through an injury, he is still a good WR. When he is 100% like Sunday, he is dominant. He made the type of unstoppable plays that can carry you deep into the playoffs.

From what I've seen, I don't believe Cooper was 100 percent Sunday. He just played through his injury without complaining.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Good post Her Kaiser.

My nit-pic is a well officiated game should have less flags. Several times game flow was changed by the Zebras. The "blow" to the head by Jaylon Smith was really quite nothing other than good pressure but it led to their TD. I think the officiating team should not be noticed and I noticed them several times controlling the game.

Since it was a blowout that is all immaterial. Not so much in a close game. Me being old school I think the game is over officiated.

Overall excellent assessment of the game ! Cooper changes this team dynamic.

starfan1

Reaction score
The big news from the Eagles game wasn’t just the blowout score, it was the defense finally showing up. Why does this defense finally play well in Week 7? Is it Health? Execution? Adrenaline?

Its really all three but its mostly health, which allows the team to finally execute. The adrenaline from a Division Game helps. If you watch Jaylon Smith, Maliek Collins and DLaw (probably Sean Lee also) in this game they are clearly healthier now. Our defense is built around the DL and this was the first game this year that all four DL starters were fully healthy. They executed exactly what the scheme is – Woods occupies two guys, Collins is active and the two DE rush off the edge. Then the LBs cover half of North America. This really was the first game that all the pieces were in place and they worked well.

That DL and its depth were the biggest topic of offseason threads here. Remember all the threads that Dak was a below average QB? Where are those now? Remember the threads that Conner Williams sucked? Didn’t he just play Fletcher Cox without a hitch?

I can’t really explain it but there is something about Antwuan Woods that I love. One of my favorite moments of this game was the strip sack by DLaw where Woods fought off a blocker to get close the ball, then pull it in.

Sean Lee was much more active in this game, I don’t know if that is because of health or adrenaline, but its pretty cool that our 3rd best LB is a two time Pro Bowlers and I really don’t care that he hasn’t shown up until now.

The big thing about the first TD run by Tavon Austin wasn’t the six points, it was the fact that opposing defenses have to account for our 4th/5th WR. The same goes for Maher hitting a 63 yard field goal, the impact is that opponents have to account for that ability.

Zeke looks like he is in better shape now but the OL executed well against a good Eagles DL. Kellen Moore is a guy playing chess with multiple chess pieces, but if you can consistently bludgeon a team with 8 yard carries on 1st down, you are going to win the game.

Preparing for the playoffs, its going to be a big advantage that our Division is terrible. When we can rest guys like Tyron Smith, DLaw and Amari Cooper they will make a bigger impact once the playoffs start.

Collinsworth marvels at the arm strength of Wentz. On the next play the snap hits him in the hands and he drops it. Which was more fun to watch? Wentz dropping a shotgun snap or Wentz getting sacked by the worst tackler on our team and limping off?

This game was well officiated and didn’t have any ridiculously bad calls. The fact that it is newsworthy for that to happen is depressing.

nice analysis. I dont think for a second this team is 100% healthy even those who played well like Jaylon, Maliek ,Cooper and Dlaw etc. I think their backs was against the wall and they responded. Lee played well I think because due to Vanderesch injury he played in his natural role.

Our LB's are going to struggle in coverage but they did seem to step up. It was a great game and i love slapping the eagles around but its all for naught if they don't string a few together. I really believe they need to go 3-1 over the next 4. to get some cushion on the eagles because the only way were getting to playoffs is by winning the division.

If the D plays like they did Sunday and the offense continues to put up 25 to 30 we are tough to contend with. I wish they would pick up a space eater and our secondary scares me. Every time the ball is thrown Chido's way I shutter it a completion or interference. Anyway it was good that we played a complete game and it wasn't close where the refs could have an impact because the Jaylon Smith penalty was crap.

Win the turnover battle win the game

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The defense has done well at times even in some losses.

Held Giants to 17- Good
Allowed Skins to score 21- Bad
Held Miami to 6- Good
Held Saints to 12- Good- Held saints to 3 in the 2nd half
Allowed GB 34- Bad
Allowed Jets 24- Bad but did hold them to 3 points in 2nd half
Held Eaglets to 10- Good

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Good post, K. Enjoyable, as usual.

One nit-pick though: Jourdan Lewis isn’t the worst tackler on the team. He actually tackles very well for a corner.
He’s actually our best tackling CB and one that will track and look for the ball.

Like Alexander who started a thread earlier, I will be pissed if Richard puts Anthony Brown back in as the starter over arguably our best CB, Jourdan Lewis!

Richard really needs to get over the Legion of Boom measurables and play the better player! If not, go coach the f-ing Commanders!

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Watching parts of the game again—it appears that the blocking schemes were aimed at making Cox a non-factor. Cox had multiple blockers on him and there was often a blocker to delay him from back side pursuit on almost every play they ran away from him (which was most plays). No respect was shown to anyone else playing the DT position. Not having Jackson and Jernigan murdered their DT depth. We took advantage of a weakness!!! Why can’t we do this every week—identify a weakness and attack?

btcutter

Reaction score
I am cautiously optimistic as I believe this is a BAD Eagles team. Sure we still have to make plays on both sides but I am waiting for us to beat a good team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lee was at WLB after Vander Esch was out of the game. He is much better at WLB than at SLB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I noticed the 2 LB packages were limited. Even when LVE went out, they kept 3 backers on the field.
Yes, they played 3 LBs more in the 1st half than any game I can remember in a long time.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Thanks, and I'm not arguing the point but who is worse than Lewis?
Surprisingly, I’d say Xavier Woods, though I do like him as a player.

Woods will lead with his shoulder and fail to wrap up at times, although he has improved there. Lewis tends to wrap up the legs of the ballcarrier and just doesn’t seem to miss much. He almost always gets his guy on the ground.

Anyway, It isn’t worth arguing about and I’ve been wrong before, so we can disagree on that one small point.

Again, good post.