Kaiser Rolls out notes on Saints game

Maverick84

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Packers game is in 2 days bruh

Kaiser

Reaction score
The brilliance of the Rams run blocking scheme in the playoffs was that their OLinemen usually had the leverage advantage instead of the leverage disadvantage of reach blocks.

I agree for this point in the season, but if the group stays healthy they will dramatically improve their coordination for the handoff blocks. Right now they are still settling in but at least they aren't having to change up techniques like Paul Alexander tried to do. Jury is still out IMO.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Good post.

It's hard to know about the coaching with regards to what did Garrett do vs what did Moore do, etc..

Most people are complaining about running too much but Zeke only had 18 rushes while Dak had 33 passes.

Not running outside more was odd to me. They had several zone runs to the inside that failed. Zones runs work best when defenses have to be concerned that it might be an outside run. Zones runs where the RB appears to be going outside but then cuts back to the inside really helps the blocking because the playside DT, DE and LB will all flow in that direction to some extent taking them out of the middle of the field. That gives the blockers a leverage advantage.

Speaking of blocking, the Cowboys run blocking scheme concerns me. The scheme requires OLinemen to often make difficult reach blocks. It's easy to see at the snap.s that some of those reach blocks are impossible based on exactly how the defense was aligned, especially where the LBs were aligned.

The brilliance of the Rams run blocking scheme in the playoffs was that their OLinemen usually had the leverage advantage instead of the leverage disadvantage of reach blocks.

The Cowboys did attempt what I call the help reach block or hand-off block a few times but they need work on those. Instead of having the OL attempt to make a reach block, they have the OL with leverage make the block initially and then hand-off the block to the OL that would just be attempting a reach block if not for getting help initially. The initial blocker then quickly kicks out to block a LB. The Rams in 2018 had mastered the hand-off block. The Cowboys attempted one with Frederick initially blocking the DT and then attempting to hand-off the block to the Martin. Frederick then attempted to kick out and block a LB. The DT held Frederick a little bit to delay him from getting to the LB. Martin also didn't get good positing for when Frederick did release from the block.

The main reason the zone blocking issues concern me is that Columbo had Houck as his OL coach and they ran a man blocking scheme. The Cowboys started using both zone and man blocking in 2012 when Bill Callahan was hired as the OL coach. By 2014 they were really good in Callahan's blocking scheme. Callahan departed because he disliked Garrett. Jerry tried to get him to stay but when his contract was up, he bolted.

I thought the entire defense was good.

I'm not a fan of the big reach blocks, tackles down blocking all the way down the line trying to dive in front of a scraping LB etc. I would love to see us use more power and draws to kick start the running game and then mix a few zone runs in. I'd also love to get our guards on the opposing teams LB's quicker

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I'm working on a time machine. If it had been completed in time for the Saints game, I already had plans to go back to 1993 and get Erik Williams and then stop by 1995 and pick up Larry Allen.

If I finish it in time this week, then I'll go back and get 1993 Tuinei to fill in for Tyron.

Why waste your time on Tuinei? Teleport a few years back and get a healthy Tyron. Or if it doesn’t work that way, grab Larry Allen and we’ll play him at LT instead of wasting the trip on a Tuinei.