Kaiser Rolls out Unpopular Thoughts

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
The Rams OL is average at best. All 3 of their interior guys were ranked near the bottom of the league and they flat out whipped the cold boyz. This DL is extremely overrated.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Some solid reasoning and some good observations. Teams with new Heach coaches and schemes are going to be at a disadvantage for a few games. There were some flashes from the Cowboys in the Rams game but we've seen flashes before. I am looking for improvement by the defense as the season progresses. I am not as confident about the offensive line. I expect that may get worse because Tyron Smith will breakdown again, and Looney is not going to get better than he already is.

What this OL needs is a Larry Allen type mauler who jacks up the rest of the line.

what is the “new defensive scheme” everyone talks about?

looks like a lot of off man cover to me.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The Rams OL is average at best. All 3 of their interior guys were ranked near the bottom of the league and they flat out whipped the cold boyz. This DL is extremely overrated.

The Rams OL executed well on their scheme, but if they "whipped" the Dallas DL the Rams wouldn't have been running quick hitting plays all game. The Dallas OL in 2016 "whipped" people and the clue was Prescott having seven seconds in the pocket on a lot of plays.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It was actually on Dalton for running a shallow route. Lamb didnt do anything wrong on that play.

On Dak for not throwing it earlier and not leading Lamb. Lamb should have run faster, but his depth was fine given where Schultz was.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I hold these truths to be self-evident, haterzz..

There were two keys to this game, the Rams Offensive Line and the lack of preseason games.

The Rams OL executed extremely well and their ability to sustain long drives was most of the reason for the Rams win. That was 80% of this game, even if fans want to use this game as a Rorschach test for their pet issue like coaching, Dak, DLaw, etc.

You can see a big difference in our defense playing what is essentially its first preseason game and the Rams team that has been in the same scheme offensively and defensively for four years now. That offense was considered ubergenius two years ago and Dallas is still putting their defensive pieces together. The Dallas Defense got worked early, adjusted and then played OK in the second half. Both OL and DL need reps to execute well and they don’t have it yet. Its not an excuse, but it was a factor.

CeeDee Lamb and Trevon Diggs look like third year players in the first NFL snaps, which tells you both guys could play in a Pro Bowl at some point. I still believe if Lamb was gone and we drafted Diggs in the 1st, then everyone after that one round higher we still would have had an excellent draft.

If you watch the game again, Aldon Smith actually played the run better than his pass rush plays. Clear indication of the spectacular physical talent he has and the potential he has when he settles into his role mentally. It also means Everson Griffen is the best backup DE in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Trysten Hill showed the physical skills to be a very good player, he still needs time but he will be starting by the end of the season IMO. He played 44 snaps to 46 for Tyrone Crawford. Antwuan Woods looked good playing 29 snaps (Gallimore 6) backing up Dontari Poe and our DL depth will be a big advantage over the course of the season. Both in depth, settling into the new scheme and being able to mix and match assignments based on opponents.

I would have kicked the FG on the 4th and 3 but I like the aggressiveness in the call. With a little more experience Lamb will get beyond the marker every time and it took a great play from the DB to stop him short. The thing about that call is that the play will convert 3 times out of 4 and for that play, Lamb has the RAC ability that he will break a big gain on it one time out of four. It didn’t work out, but its not the reason we lost.

On draft day I wanted Ramsey over Zeke but I was wrong. I’m still wrong, both are elite players but Zeke will win more games for you.

The Rams will have paid Jared Goff $81 Million dollars through this season and to acquire him they traded two #1 picks (in the top ten), two #2s and two #3s. Dallas will have paid Dak $35 Million over the same period after drafting him in the 4th round. And Dak played better.

I was going to post this thread on Thursday but Sean McVay called a time out and the refs gave it to him. That was a 3 point swing in a three point game by the way.
Fantastic fricking post, Kaiser.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
The Rams OL executed well on their scheme, but if they "whipped" the Dallas DL the Rams wouldn't have been running quick hitting plays all game. The Dallas OL in 2016 "whipped" people and the clue was Prescott having seven seconds in the pocket on a lot of plays.

And when the eagles get 5 sacks on Goff? What’s the excuse then?

MikeB80

Reaction score
The Rams have run the same offense for four years, Dallas kept Kellen Moore but he was the only coach that held over from last year. Dallas had a lot of changes and no "live fire" to take reps and build cohesion. The Rams offense did, and it jumped out early and controlled the time of possession 36 minutes to 24.

moore was not the only coach held over. The qb Coach was the tight ends coach last year. So the oc/play caller and qb coach were here in the offense already.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

There were two keys to this game, the Rams Offensive Line and the lack of preseason games.

The Rams OL executed extremely well and their ability to sustain long drives was most of the reason for the Rams win. That was 80% of this game, even if fans want to use this game as a Rorschach test for their pet issue like coaching, Dak, DLaw, etc.

You can see a big difference in our defense playing what is essentially its first preseason game and the Rams team that has been in the same scheme offensively and defensively for four years now. That offense was considered ubergenius two years ago and Dallas is still putting their defensive pieces together. The Dallas Defense got worked early, adjusted and then played OK in the second half. Both OL and DL need reps to execute well and they don’t have it yet. Its not an excuse, but it was a factor.

CeeDee Lamb and Trevon Diggs look like third year players in the first NFL snaps, which tells you both guys could play in a Pro Bowl at some point. I still believe if Lamb was gone and we drafted Diggs in the 1st, then everyone after that one round higher we still would have had an excellent draft.

If you watch the game again, Aldon Smith actually played the run better than his pass rush plays. Clear indication of the spectacular physical talent he has and the potential he has when he settles into his role mentally. It also means Everson Griffen is the best backup DE in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Trysten Hill showed the physical skills to be a very good player, he still needs time but he will be starting by the end of the season IMO. He played 44 snaps to 46 for Tyrone Crawford. Antwuan Woods looked good playing 29 snaps (Gallimore 6) backing up Dontari Poe and our DL depth will be a big advantage over the course of the season. Both in depth, settling into the new scheme and being able to mix and match assignments based on opponents.

I would have kicked the FG on the 4th and 3 but I like the aggressiveness in the call. With a little more experience Lamb will get beyond the marker every time and it took a great play from the DB to stop him short. The thing about that call is that the play will convert 3 times out of 4 and for that play, Lamb has the RAC ability that he will break a big gain on it one time out of four. It didn’t work out, but its not the reason we lost.

On draft day I wanted Ramsey over Zeke but I was wrong. I’m still wrong, both are elite players but Zeke will win more games for you.

The Rams will have paid Jared Goff $81 Million dollars through this season and to acquire him they traded two #1 picks (in the top ten), two #2s and two #3s. Dallas will have paid Dak $35 Million over the same period after drafting him in the 4th round. And Dak played better.

I was going to post this thread on Thursday but Sean McVay called a time out and the refs gave it to him. That was a 3 point swing in a three point game by the way.

Awesome post overall except maybe the QB part but agree in other things. Overall I’m liking everything and hoping for the best

Kaiser

Reaction score
moore was not the only coach held over. The qb Coach was the tight ends coach last year. So the oc/play caller and qb coach were here in the offense already.

True, but Moore was the only one of consequence. Nussmeier isn't going to have any impact on McCarthy's decisions whatsoever.

The point is the same, the Rams run McVay's offense and they have for the last four years. He had an OC (Lafleur) and then two co-coordinators and now a new OC. But they don't impact the team any more than Belichick's Defensive Coordinator does (who I doubt 99% of NFL fans could name).

jjktkk

Reaction score
About as inaccurate a post as you can get.

Save for Aldon Smith the defense was terrible. They let a cast of borderline running backs control the entire game. The Rams Oline played well, but half of it was because of how bad our DT's and linebackers are. Our DT's were getting blown up all day long. 2 yards down the field on nearly every play.

Ramsey is a top 5 CB and Zeke is a top 5 RB. You dont take the RB over the corner............EVER!!!

Drafting Zeke over Ramsey was a HUGE mistake and doubling down by caving on his extension was worse.

Dak is better than Goff, Ill will agree with you there.
Gosh Dangit Roy, I was all set to reply what a great post this was, then you had to go and ruin it with this last sentence.:thumbdown:

Last edited:

MikeB80

Reaction score
True, but Moore was the only one of consequence. Nussmeier isn't going to have any impact on McCarthy's decisions whatsoever.

The point is the same, the Rams run McVay's offense and they have for the last four years. He had an OC (Lafleur) and then two co-coordinators and now a new OC. But they don't impact the team any more than Belichick's Defensive Coordinator does (who I doubt 99% of NFL fans could name).

not sure why you are telling me about mcvay...I know this. O'connell was brought there because he had a similar offense yet there are some differences, mcvay calls plays.

also you realize you just said the quarterback coach doesn't have much impact. That's a pretty odd thing to say. You could make a case the two holdovers have a bigger impact on the offense than McCarthy who more and more everyday I get the feeling he is here to pose for pictures.

Aven8

Reaction score

Nice post! I agree we looked like we were playing a PS game early on, and D. Dlaw standing up was uncomfortable. The Rams Oline slant so much it got our whole D chasing outside....it was ugly. McVay can coach offense. They did settle down as you mentioned and got us the stops we needed late. Moore had a poor game, but he only had 24 minutes to work with. We ran 69 plays however in that 24 minutes which is a lot!

My hope is everyone is up to football speed this week and we go to the short passing game. I want to see Zeke and Pollard catch a lot of balls.

Kaiser

Reaction score
also you realize you just said the quarterback coach doesn't have much impact. That's a pretty odd thing to say. You could make a case the two holdovers have a bigger impact on the offense than McCarthy who more and more everyday I get the feeling he is here to pose for pictures.

DistinctRealisticJenny-size_restricted.gif

Kaiser

Reaction score
My hope is everyone is up to football speed this week and we go to the short passing game. I want to see Zeke and Pollard catch a lot of balls.

Yeah, its kind of like the third preseason game where the starters play for the first time. There are a bunch of things like dropped passes and missed blocks that affect the team until they get enough reps.

Totally agree on the RB catches, that seems like a McCarthy thing wrinkle that they will focus on a lot more this year.