Kamerion Wimbley typical Linebacker..

ghst187

Reaction score
I think Carpenter is the safest pick and will be a great one. He'll be ready to go day 1 to take over a starting LB spot. We know he can stop the run, cover a TE or RB, and get to the QB. Plus, he's huge 250+. Fiery leader too.

Lawson is who I really want. I think he is such an incredible athlete that he will make even more plays when you put him back at OLB. He can run like a gazelle too and I have no doubt he'd be 245 or 250 by the time the season rolled around. So much upside. People forget that he was a VERY good football player in addition to being an amazing athlete. That is why I don't think he's as big of risk as a lot of folks do.
I like Wimbley a lot too. Sounds like our scouts do also. He did have a knee injury that concerns me but I read that it was only sprained and not torn. We definitely know that Wimbley can get to the QB. We're not sure how well he can adjust to LB from DE. Probably will do well but will take time like Ware.
Overall, I would be happy with any of the three. I'd love to see a short trade down and still be able to grab one of these guys. Not sure if we'll be able to do that though. Teams are really eyeing these guys, even though LBs are supposed to slip a bit on draft day. We know that if we stay put, we can get one of them but a trade down is a big gamble. JJ likes to roll the dice though...

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Dallas 18. Dallas Cowboys – Jason Allen, FS, Tennessee. Allen has been fantastic from the measurables standpoint, and he was a top-notch player at Tennessee when healthy. The big concern right now is the hip injury he sustained in college. A league source indicated that Allen's hip is causing some strength differential between his two legs. The leg on the injured side is at about 85-percent the strength of the healthy leg. That could develop into a long-term problem, or it might never be an issue at all. If the Cowboys feel he's relatively risk-free, he could be an immediate starter at free safety.

IMO, just too many question marks for us to take this player

kenneth Gant #29

Reaction score
No way we gonna select Jason Allen!

1.Round trade down and select: LB Bobby Carpenter
2.Round: OG Davin Joseph
3.Round: FS Pat Watkins
3.Round (after the trade-down): QB Charlie Whitehurst

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I don't know about our choice in this mock. If all the OLB prospects are still on the board, we either take our man or trade down (like the 2004 draft with all the RBs on the board) and get our second or third choice.

I know some of you are counting on Kevin Burnett but I think we learned our lesson on being overly dependent of injury-prone youngsters with Jacob Rogers. Remember that Burnett has had four surgeries to his legs so far in his young life including 3 in the last year alone. I really would strongly advise against depending on him for anything at this point. If he can play - that's great - more depth. If he can't play and we don't pick up another true OLB we will be handcuffed again in designing our blitz packages and at forcing the outside run.

I also don't see the point in spending another first rounder in the secondary when we already have four excellent players (Henry, TNew, AGlenn, RW). This problem really should have been rectified in FA last year when Dwight Smith hit the market. If a good FS prospect is available in the 3rd round, that would be a good place to draft one.

I gotta agree I like Allen but that would make 3 #1 choices plus a expensive FA in the secondary

Chuck 54

Reaction score
no way in the world we take the #3 or #4 safety at #18 when there are still top players at other positions....I'm still high on Santonio HOlmes or trading down.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
no way in the world we take the #3 or #4 safety at #18 when there are still top players at other positions....I'm still high on Santonio HOlmes or trading down.

Wayne do you really think Holmes is gonna be worth the 18 pick when all is said and done?

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
This guy Kamerion Wimbley is the most versatile defensive player in the draft...

Cause he could play inside and outside linebacker in 3-4 and he could play D-End in 4-3...

neosapien23

Reaction score
I like Wimberely alot more than Lawson. Lawson is not big enough to play the SOLB spot. I also like Ryan LaCasse out of Syracuse. He is 6'2" and weighs 267 lbs. He ran the 2nd fastest time at 4.54. I think he is the most physically ready player to man the strong side. He has the speed to drop into coverage and the size to hold up against the run. Would be a great pick in the third round.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Lawson is 6'5". Why can't he gain weight? I doubt we'd put him on Jenny Craig if we got him. His combine #'s for speed are better than Ware's and he's underrated against the run. He's only 8 pounds lighter than Wimberly.

neosapien23

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Lawson is 6'5". Why can't he gain weight? I doubt we'd put him on Jenny Craig if we got him. His combine #'s for speed are better than Ware's and he's underrated against the run. He's only 8 pounds lighter than Wimberly.

He will not put on 8 lbs this year. We would have to have long term plans for Lawson and plan on starting him in two years. He weighs 240 lbs after four years of college football and he played DE. You don't think he has tried to put on weight? This might be as big as he can get.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
He will not put on 8 lbs this year. We would have to have long term plans for Lawson and plan on starting him in two years. He weighs 240 lbs after four years of college football and he played DE. You don't think he has tried to put on weight? This might be as big as he can get.

If you say so. I guess when we told Ware to put on 10 we meant 5 years from now, right?:rolleyes:

neosapien23

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
If you say so. I guess when we told Ware to put on 10 we meant 5 years from now, right?:rolleyes:

Ware is already in his 2nd year. He probably put on about 5 of those pounds on already. To ask Lawson to put on 10 lbs this year is a tall order for anyone not named Barry Bonds.

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
With all the talk of moving Davis back to special teams and the talk that the line is not a finished product and finally the current hole at OLB opposite Ware, its a safe assumption OLB,S,and OL will be the first picks in any particular order. Being that safety likely will drop pushing the quality down, OLB is a rather safe assumption for that slot. There are lots of rumors floating about Wimbley with our first so there has to be some substance there. I think Carpenter is the guy regardless and a trade down is what is the goal. If no trade down, we may "reach" for him. I wouldnt rule out Winston either. Safety in 2 is a virtual lock with Simpson and Bullocks leading the way.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DiscipleofTuna said:
With all the talk of moving Davis back to special teams and the talk that the line is not a finished product and finally the current hole at OLB opposite Ware, its a safe assumption OLB,S,and OL will be the first picks in any particular order. Being that safety likely will drop pushing the quality down, OLB is a rather safe assumption for that slot. There are lots of rumors floating about Wimbley with our first so there has to be some substance there. I think Carpenter is the guy regardless and a trade down is what is the goal. If no trade down, we may "reach" for him. I wouldnt rule out Winston either. Safety in 2 is a virtual lock with Simpson and Bullocks leading the way.
:welcome: to the forum!!!!!

Sandman52

Reaction score
I think Carpenter is the guy regardless and a trade down is what is the goal. If no trade down, we may "reach" for him.

Is your thinking related to Parcells' past with his father?

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Adding 10 lbs. is not unusual for a DE/LB coming out of college--in fact it is more likely than not. The differences between a college weight training program and a full-time offseason monitored program like the NFL has is shown every year.

The most critical part of the equation though is the players body frame and whether he'll have the intrinsic bone mass to respond to doubled wieght training, and no more Big Macs, as a player moves from a program like Maryland to Valley Ranch.

Secondly character counts, is he committed to improving or does he consider himself "arrived" on draft day.

Lawson has a lot going for him on this basis he might be a serious guy if he was chosen team MVP--this counts alot in a player who has to go through a position change.

I'm always suspicious of Bowden(Florida State players) because of the whole FSU recruiting and lax character atmosphere. FSU puts out a lot of great athletes--without question, but I'm a little wary about the attitudes about position change and lockerrom issues (eg. Lavereneus Coles, Dieon Sanders, Javon Walker, Sebastian Janikowski) changing a great athlete from DE to OLB and bulking him up requires a hardworking gritty attitude and a will to improve.

ddh33

Reaction score
By all accounts, Wimbley is the best kind of person. I wouldn't worry about that.

Lawson's weight could be an issue. He was already back down to 238 at his pro day, according to KFFL. I don't think he is ever going to be able to put on a ton of weight. Now, the bigger question is can he be effective without it? If so, then it obviously doesn't matter.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
By all accounts, Wimbley is the best kind of person. I wouldn't worry about that.

Lawson's weight could be an issue. He was already back down to 238 at his pro day, according to KFFL. I don't think he is ever going to be able to put on a ton of weight. Now, the bigger question is can he be effective without it? If so, then it obviously doesn't matter.

It's really up to the scouting staff to get the inside story on these guy's heads. Like all college FB fans I saw Wimbley play-but I'd be lying if I told you I paid any special attention to him as a Cowboy draft choice.

I have seen Ryan LaCasse play both in person and on TV more than 10 times. I still have to say we'll get a much better assessment from Paul Pasqualoni (now Cowboy assistant and former Lacasse head coach) than anything I can offer.

It's a scarcity on this forum to see someone say they can't judge a player they watched for a handlful of games in college--but as a humbled guy who was rooting for Dwight Freeney all the way-I watched him be humbled by Bryant McKinney of Miami as a senior so I'll reserve my judgement about quick but undersized pass rushers.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
ddh33 said:
Wimbley is actually my favorite OLB prospect...I think ;)

Lawson really intrigues me. I love his measureables. I love that he was voted MVP of the team while playing with Mario Williams. But I wish he had more bulk and strength.

Carpenter is probably the most polished player. He could step in right away and make true LB type plays while still being a force on the blitz. I worry about his constant nagging injuries though, and I wonder if he has reached his potential already.

Wimbley, to me, is a guy that has everything you want. I like his speed and quickness. I like his ability to play against the run from that spot. I like how he can get to the QB. And I really like his character and personality, from all reports. Basically, I feel like Wimbley is an awful lot like Demarcus Ware.

What nagging injuries? I think he has had one major one.

There are a lot of weakside guys in this draft. This scares me about Wimbley.

Gets run over by offensive tackles at the point of attack. Must learn to take on and shed blockers and play with good leverage.

Maybe if they land a guy like this, a move to the strong side is in the works for Ware.

Reaction score
Manny Lawson is my pick just because of value alone, I mean he and Ware would scare the living S*** out of QBs and RBs!!