Kavon Frazier says "Kris Richard may have had his hand forced by Garrett"

johneric8

Reaction score
We've all speculated about Garrett interfering with scheme or inserting himself and his ideologies out of fear for his job or not being able to stand seeing other coaches be successful without his help, well Kavon Frasier just alluded to this.

"Frazier also brought up how Richard relied almost exclusively on Cover 3 and man, when in his first two years the defense had also used a lot of Cover 2 and 4. For those who remember that far back, it was reminiscent of how the very complicated Rob Ryan defense keep coming apart back when he was the DC. Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions."

Read on-

slick325

Reaction score
Can't blame a person for going out on their own terms at all. If I am in a lame duck year as a HC, no way I allow anyone on my staff to keep me from an extension. My hands would be in EVERY pot until Jerry came down and fired me himself.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Can't blame a person for going out on their own terms at all. If I am in a lame duck year as a HC, no way I allow anyone on my staff to keep me from an extension. My hands would be in EVERY pot until Jerry came down and fired me himself.

Agreed.It never was going to work.

I'd love to hear some more stories from the past season. Sounds like it was a disaster behind the scenes.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
KR hasn’t gotten another job correct? Please correct me if I am wrong. 40 years old, Fired by Seattle and they know what they are doing. Brought to Dallas as some sort of savior. 2 seasons and he was totally exposed. Just because you are emotional it doesn’t make you a great coach. Richard just isn’t very good.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DC having his hand forced? As HC Garrett had responsibility in offense, defense and special teams. The failure of any aspect falls to the HC. I expect the same with McCarthy that he is not just HC of part of the team he is HC of the Dallas Cowboys meaning offense, defense and special teams. Their success will be his success and their failures will be his failures. A HC involving himself in all aspects of the team is not an option it is his job since the buck stops with him.

In the end the teams failure fell at the feet of Garrett, exactly where it belongs.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It says "Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions." Doesn't sound definitive to me. Sounds more like pure speculation much like we see from many(myself included) on this site.

joseephuss

Reaction score
DC having his hand forced? As HC Garrett had responsibility in offense, defense and special teams. The failure of any aspect falls to the HC. I expect the same with McCarthy that he is not just HC of part of the team he is HC of the Dallas Cowboys meaning offense, defense and special teams. Their success will be his success and their failures will be his failures. A HC involving himself in all aspects of the team is not an option it is his job since the buck stops with him.

In the end the teams failure fell at the feet of Garrett, exactly where it belongs.

Agreed. I always felt Garrett didn't involve himself in the defense enough. Most coaches come up on one side of the ball, but the best involve themselves in all aspects of the game.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It says "Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions." Doesn't sound definitive to me. Sounds more like pure speculation much like we see from many(myself included) on this site.

Its funny because this thread will go to 20 pages without anyone actually reading it. Frazier isn't saying Richard was perfect and Garrett meddled, he is saying Richard made too many tweaks and Garrett may have told him to back off at some point.

Also way before the part about Garrett and Richard, the article says this:

Frazier expressed a sincere belief in Garrett as a coach and a human being, and has nothing but admiration for how the coach stood up to the barrage of questions from the media. He still has no doubt that the pressure negatively affected how the entire staff did their jobs.

Carson

Reaction score
KR hasn’t gotten another job correct? Please correct me if I am wrong. 40 years old, Fired by Seattle and they know what they are doing. Brought to Dallas as some sort of savior. 2 seasons and he was totally exposed. Just because you are emotional it doesn’t make you a great coach. Richard just isn’t very good.

Exactly.

From possible HC of the future to not even having a job.

phildadon86

Reaction score
We've all speculated about Garrett interfering with scheme or inserting himself and his ideologies out of fear for his job or not being able to stand seeing other coaches be successful without his help, well Kavon Frasier just alluded to this.

"Frazier also brought up how Richard relied almost exclusively on Cover 3 and man, when in his first two years the defense had also used a lot of Cover 2 and 4. For those who remember that far back, it was reminiscent of how the very complicated Rob Ryan defense keep coming apart back when he was the DC. Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions."

Read on-
I brought up this very thing and was blasted for it saying there was no way Garrett would interfere when he was in a lame duck season. I knew he forced peoples hands because he can’t handle someone else getting the credit. (I wonder where he got that from) very happy he is far away from this team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed. I always felt Garrett didn't involve himself in the defense enough. Most coaches come up on one side of the ball, but the best involve themselves in all aspects of the game.

In my view that is the job of the HC. I never cared if Garrett called plays or not, what I do expect is the HC to oversee all aspects of the team and to have his team ready. If OC, DC or special teams is failing it falls to HC to find out why and make sure it is corrected.

morat1959

Reaction score

I’m among many on this board who thought JG was never head coach material with that being said, the last 23 years speaks for itself. The downfall of this organization falls square on JJ. We will continue to be a doormat for other teams going to the big dance until he backs off and let’s real football minded personal call the shots.