Keeping Tabs on the Skins

playit12

Reaction score
So Being sadly misplaced in DC I see more Red than Blue, however I thought I would check out the burgundy and gold this year and share my impressions with those that don't catch their preseason games.

I had a chance with fellow poster "Danny White" to check out one of the practices at Commanders Park and I Tivo'd the preseason game and watched a few of the player battles closely. This is not comprehensive of the entire team... more just positions of interest.

Also I'm not speaking for Danny White here... just myself. He seemed to have a pretty keen eye and caught a number of things I didn't, so maybe he'll put his two cents in too...

QuarterBack:

In Practice Ramsey looked really good. He was poised and threw the ball with accuracy and with significantly more power than Brunell and Campbell. He hit his targets in stride for the most part and didn't seem to be favoring any paticular route. I would say that he is better outside of 7 yard passes. I think he'll continue to strugle on Screens for instance.

In the Game he looked much worse. He never seemed comfortable dropping back into the pocket. For those that don't follow, Gibbs loves his QBs to drop back from center. In this regard Ramsey seemed very nervous and forced several passes. More than once he felt the rush too soon, and another time he never felt the rush at all. Some of his passes showed poor decisions and he wasn't reading all of his recievers very well... he seemed to be misjudging their speed. This is especially true of Moss. Ramsey and Moss never seemed to gel. Patten, on the other hand seems to be a favorite target already. On the bright side, he seems to have improved his internal clock and was not holding on to the ball as long in the pocket. One more thing of note. In the Shotgun Ramsey looked much better. This is clearly where he is at his best. I think he'll get better as the season progresses.

Brunell - MB seemed to show good footword and awareness in practice. This also holds true for the game where he was noticable more comfortable in the pocket then last year. He felt the rush, showed good scramble, and stepped into his passes. Now his arm strength looked very weak. In practice he threw a very soft pass. It wasn't a lob, but it didn't have the velocity that Ramsey had. MB looked better passing in the center and on crossing patterns. throwing to the sides, his passes didn't have the velocity to avoid being picked off. In the game his arm seemed much stronger. It seems as though he's stepping into his passes more. This leads to a longer throwing motion, and it remains to be seen if that will still work against first team's Ds. In the game MB looked the best, and clearly he looked better then he did last year.

Campbell - JC was lofting every pass in practice. He looked like he was trying to put way too much touch on the ball. He also would have gotten sacked on nearly every play they ran in the 11 on 11 drills. He holds onto the ball WAY too long. He seems comfortable in the pocket compared to other rookies and he steps into his passes... but he needs to hasten his reads. In the game he looked much better, however he was mostly throwing quick outs on the first read. I think the play calling was designed to hide his slow reads at this time. He didn't play much overall so perhaps I'll have more to say next week.

Offensive Line:

The line looked both good and bad. They did better then expected in pass protection during the game which is good because in both their earlier scrimage and in practice they were getting killed in that regard. The line, overall, reminds me of a Dallas line. They are big and strong but not overly mobile. This year Gibbs has incoperated some Zone blocking and Man blocking together. Now I'm not sure of many teams that really run both schemes well. Zone blocking usually calls for smart, athletic, and often smaller linemen who can penetrate the line and move latterally well. Man blocking calls for largel, strong, and punishing blockers who can work well in space. Their line is certainly more prepared for man blocking and it was clear that they struggled in Zone blocking plays. Overall the first team looked good to average most of the time with various horrible plays mixed in. They looked better in the pass than in run blocking.

Running Backs:

Portis has put on some weight and looks more stout then last year. Some of that looked to me like a gut when he was wiping off his face with his shirt. He also seemed winded at times. Durring drills with the other backs he took a knee between each turn while every other back remained standing. However he did look good in scrimage. I think he'll be fine by the time season starts. In the game he never really had a hole to run through. The zone blocking was really put in for Portis, but I think they'll abandone the zone blocking at some point this season. It's just too much for one line to learn. Portis will be fine.

Betts looked better in the game then he did in practice. In the game he ran well and with good burst. He showed decent but not great vision and he caught the ball with his hands away from his body. He looks much better this year, and might have been the best looking player on the field in the first game for the Skins.

Rock seems the same as last year. He might not make the team.

Nehemiah Broughton (Nemo) played later in the game. I'm going to seem awefully critical of him here but perhaps some Skins fan will come to his rescue. In his first couple of carries he seemed a little lost and followed the play probably too closely. He didn't show good vision. He seemed more comfortable as time went on but some problems remained. He's huge... 5-11 250 according to Yahoo. However he runs like Ron Dayne or Troy Hambrick. He hits the hole way too soft and he doesn't build up any real power till he's 7 or 8 yards into his route. There is no way he's going to be a short yardage solution unless he can start to accelerate more quickly. He's young and he could get better, but I doubt he'll be the next Bettis.

Wide Reciever:

Moss is fast and has good hands however he disapears at times. He seems to have a good connection with Brunell but Ramsey never seems to find him. He seems to mostly be used on the outside thus far and it remains to be seen if he'll be more than an occasional deep threat or sideline reciever. It's also a tell what side the ball will be run too... It will not be run towards Moss.

Patten looks good but not overly impressive. He's the perfect above average reciever. He does everything pretty good but nothing great. I think Ramsey likes throwing to him because he'll fight for the ball. He also was very good in run blocking. On one play he came from the outside and bookended a Linebacker.

Thrash will be the number three. He looks almost the same as last year so I won't rehash. He's reliable but limited.

McCants was really the only big target this team has, but I'm beggining to think he won't make the squad. Time will tell.

They Skins seem intent on making Antonio Brown a WR option as well. He's their return man and is very short. No way this guy is 5-10. He's done ok so far but I think his upside is limited by his size.

TE, H-Back:

Cooley is good but still needs to work on blocking. He's still not going to be an effective TE on the line. They had some scrubs out there that looked solid too but I couldn't find the names.

Defense will be on the next post.

playit12

Reaction score
Defensive Line:

The line looks good but again not really impressive. I think they will be down from last year. They really lack in any of the measurables but play with a lot of heart and passion. The interior of the line was destroying the interior of the Skin's line in practice, but it didn't appear to translate to the game with Carolina.

LB:

Washington is even better this year then he was last year. He is by far the talent of this group. He has good footwork, speed, hands, and recognition. Every successful run play was away from MW for a reason.

Lemar Marshal is a good WLB. Unfortunately he's playing MLB this year. Not including the always hurt Lavar, LM is the second best LB on this team, however he does not have the strength to play the Mike. He is a little slow on his recognition and he got blown off the play several times in the game. Once by a full back who absolutely destroyed him. They really need to move him back to WLB where he can contribute more. The skins run D is going to suffer if LM is playing Mike.

Lavar didn't practice or play while I watched. Nor I or the Commanders really know if he is going to be able to play at 100%.

They skins have no one after these three guys. They have some young guys, but so far they are not nearly experienced enough to make an impact. This is the one position that should really worry the Skins with regards to depth.

Safety:

Taylor looked very out of shape to me. He was being pulled more often then any other player in the drills and was noticable winded. Perhaps he was sick, I don't know. He also seemed a little out of sinc in the game. I think he'll be back to where he was last year before the season starts.

Bowen looked slightly below average. He's not a liability, but he doesn't add much either.

Corner Back:

Who knows what this group can do when they are all completely healthy. I didn't seem much of starters and I won't slam on the scrubs.

Overall the D didn't look as good as last year, but they did look better then the offense in practice. As the game pointed out however, that doesn't say much.

I think the skins are going to strugle this year.

notherbob

Reaction score
Thanks for the post - good read.

It always good to know what the opposition is up to, especially this year in the NFC East.

Tricky-22

Git R Done
Reaction score
I think that Ramsey could have been a very good QB in time. But the beating that he took in the "Ol ball coach's" offense may have ruined him.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Can someone tell me exactly what is wrong with Arrington?

The guy has been hampered by that knee for nearly a year. What did he do to it and do they expect him to ever recover and be 100%?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

The guy has been hampered by that knee for nearly a year. What did he do to it and do they expect him to ever recover and be 100%?

Bruised ******...

Nerm

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

I think he has the same medical problem that TO had at the beginning of training camp.

Lavar may be playing to his contract. He thinks the Skins robbed him of $6+ million. He may be giving effort that reflects that. "Earning" his contract.

playit12

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

I know he came out in the press and blamed the Commanders for handling it wrong. I think what really happened is he rushed back to the field and screwed it up a second time.

At this point it's pretty touchy and no one knows how it will hold up since he's been off it so long.

playit12

Reaction score
Tricky-22 said:
I think that Ramsey could have been a very good QB in time. But the beating that he took in the "Ol ball coach's" offense may have ruined him.

I think he can still be a good QB - with his next team. For some reason Gibbs obviously doesn't like Ramsey. He should have started last year but they went out and got Brunell, and then he stuck with Brunell well past when everyone else knew it was time to move on.

I think this offense does not play to Patrick's strengths. Put him somewhere where he can run the play action, throw medium to deep routes, and not be forced to carry the offense and he'll do fine. You know, come to think of it that sounds a bit like Dallas.. ;-)

Smith22

Reaction score
I see the deadskins defense having another good year, although I'm still perplexed about how they get it done with that group of guys on the DL. I really like Washington at LB'er. The guy can flat out play. They are in pretty good shape in the secondary as well assuming Rogers does well.

Offense is another story. They got worse at WR although during the preseason game the announcers repeatedly said the skins felt they improved at WR, despite losing their #1 and #2 WR's and replacing them with 2 guys that IMO are no better than #2 WR's at best. Portis is a very good option at RB, but when teams know they don't have to fear what you have at WR the running game quickly disappears, as will be the case with the skins IMO.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Bowen looked slightly below average. He's not a liability, but he doesn't add much either.

Bowen was a guy I really liked 2 years ago. He made a lot of plays and was a stud for them against the run. If he has not fully recovered from his injuries of last year it will be tough for them. He was having a very good season last year before he got hurt.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Bowen and Taylor? I though Dixon was the new savior of the Deadskins when they signed him? :D

VACowboy

Reaction score
Tricky-22 said:

I was told by a good friend and die-hard Commander fan just a coupla days ago that this is the case.

playit12

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
I was told by a good friend and die-hard Commander fan just a coupla days ago that this is the case.

I think the fans have had that feeling for a while... Before last season the fans seemed rather determined in the belief that Ramsey was ready for a breakout year. However 1 year later under the supposed God of Offense that is Joe Gibbs, Ramsey didn't breakout. Now I guess it's just a matter of planting Blame. Was it Patrick Ramsey that must have been ruined by the former system and therefor was the fault of the offense or was it that the Game has passed Gibbs by?

I think you can guess what side of the argument most of the die hards fell into. Seeing the old man on the sidelines last year I'm not as convinced.

I was on a plane one time with a relative of the Skin's OC last year. He talked a while about the offense and why he thinks it strugled. Two things of note were

1) Gibbs overuled the OC in nearly all regards. I got the feeling that many of the things I was saying were things the OC had also said in confidence such as that Brunell should be doing more 3 step drops instead of 7 step drops... that they should use more play action, and that Portis just wasn't a match for the Counter Trey or slow developing run plays.

2) that Portis was not a bright guy and that his innability to learn the play book and blocking assignments was a big obstacle in the offenses ability to adjust mid-season.

One of the skills of Gibbs was supposedly an ability to adjust to the strengths of his players... but in regards to Brunell and Ramsey I certainly haven't seen that yet.