Keeping the Mo Going- Scouting the Colts

cristglo

Reaction score
Ebron scares me seems we just let TE run all over us. We need to hit Luck and keep the pressure on him. Colts defense is pretty darn good and Dak need to NOT turn the ball over. Just need to keep playing hard defense and play with focus.

Reactions: BAT

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
  1. They have a decent pass rush, sacking Deshaun Watson 6 times.
My man, loved your scouting report! I do have one question. If you call (6) sacks in one game 'DECENT', what is your definition of 'Good'? :D By your numbers, I'd take a 'decent' defense all day!!!

conner01

Reaction score
Everybody wants to rest Zeke but this isn’t the time to do it, we need to keep riding that horse. He can rest the final game of the season when we have nothing to play for. Feed The Zeken!!!
You can’t rest him but you can limit his carries some

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Huge win yesterday. From the brink of elimination 6 weeks ago to the brink of clinching the NFC East, the Cowboys are in the drivers seat. But they need to keep this momentum going with the Colts to not only lock in the division, but also continue peaking at the right time.

Here’s a quick scouting report on a surprisingly tough Colts team that I watched break the 9 game winning streak of the Texans yesterday in Houston. They have now won 6 of their last 7. Their offense was very impressive. It’s going to be a tough game next week in Indy against a hot team. And at 7-6, they are still desperately fighting to make the playoffs.

Here’s what I saw watching the Colts against the Texans:

OFFENSE
  1. Andrew Luck is almost back to his pre-injury form. He threw for 400 yds and 2 TDs against a pretty decent Hou Defense. Luck doesn’t have a great OL, but he is nimble in the pocket. He escapes the rush pretty well and can even scramble for a first if needed. The salty Texan pass rush got two sacks, but they should have had more. He’s the second best QB we’ve seen this year behind only Brees.
  2. Passing game looked great. TY Hilton #13, shredded the Hou secondary. Very underrated receiver. Great escape moves off press coverage. Hilton had 193 yds last Sunday. Besides Hilton’s 9 catches, Luck spread his other 19 completions between 7 receivers.
  3. Running game looked average. Their feature back is Marlon Mack, #25. He’s pretty big so more power than speed. Had about 35 yards, so not much of a factor. Luck can scramble for some yards but otherwise, not much of a running game.
DEFENSE
  1. Very aggressive in passing situations. I watched all but the early first qtr, and I counted 9 times the Colts blitzed. They had a lot of blitzes using corners, so they’re not afraid to take chances.
  2. They have a decent pass rush, sacking Deshaun Watson 6 times.
  3. Their front seven looked pretty good against the run, holding Hou to about 90 yards rushing. Both DEs were good-#90 and #93. Good against the run and with pass rush pressure.
  4. Overall, their defense looked good, but not great. They got away with some risky blitzes when Watson missed some wide open receivers.

KEYS TO A COWBOYS WIN IN INDY
  1. Pressure Luck. If he has time, he’s deadly accurate. We will probably need to blitz him some too to get him to throw early.
  2. Limit TY Hilton- he is by far their best weapon. He reminds me some of Andre Hopkins, just a little smaller but still fast and capable. He needs lots of attention- perhaps some double coverage at times.
  3. Surprise! TOP will once again be huge. If we can hang onto the ball for long stretches, obviously it will reduce the chances of Luck getting his rhythm.
  4. It will be loud in that dome, so Dak checking out of plays at the LOS will be more difficult. Linehan needs to get the plays in quickly!!!
  5. Don’t get in a shootout with Andrew Luck. If he gets into a rhythm, he’s extremely accurate.
IMO, we’re going to need to score at least 25-30 to win. The Colts average 27 pts a game overall, and at home they avg 31 ppg at home. They are probably the second best offense we will face this regular season.

After a 1-5 start, the Colts are 6-1 and need this game more than we do. Which means we are going to need to be prepared for their best shot and be prepared to throw a good counter punch back at them to win next week.

No letting up!

Not worried about the colts. We will shutdown their run, pressure luck, and move at will against that overrated defense.

Dallas will expose the colts if anything. They won a hard tough divisional game, what else is new when it comes to that!

I dont get all caught up into the colts winning. When it comes to this Dallas team the cowboys are one of a kind........they will slow this **** down just like against the saints, and drag their ***** tirelessly til the 4th QTR.

Other teams just do not play like us or have our boring, 4qtrs of grueling style offensive play.

Dal 27
Ind 13

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Need to be much more efficient on offense— particularly in the RZ.

Dak ended the game on an incredible roll! Can he give us 60 mins of that kind of play? If so— we will be virtually unbeatable.

If he can iron out his inconsistencies and if we can execute and finish drives— we will be a very, very dangerous team in the playoffs

ultron

Reaction score
I guess I'll be the one to say it. Cowboys blow them out 31-10

Reactions: BAT

cffl2323

Reaction score
Seems like a good preview of what we can expect from the Cowboys in a potential road playoff game. Obviously not against the Colts, but a high stakes game on the road against a great QB. I imagine it’ll be a New Orleans type atmosphere Sunday.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My man, loved your scouting report! I do have one question. If you call (6) sacks in one game 'DECENT', what is your definition of 'Good'? :D By your numbers, I'd take a 'decent' defense all day!!!
LOL! Great point. Yeah, that’s more than decent. The Cowboys OL will have their hands full Sunday.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
While the majority of this is about Cooper running routes, toward the end he discusses the Colts defense. This is encouraging.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
This feels like a humbling loss, probably by multiple scores. On top of the Colts offense being a bad matchup for our defense (they have a clear #1 receiver and most of the passing offense flows through the TEs), their defensive coordinator knows our roster intimately. He was on our staff for the past few years, calling the plays and helping with the game plans. So he knows our offense and our defense. Plus, it’s on the road. This one is almost not fair.

Hopefully, the Cowboys see this game for what it is and it doesn’t take too much wind out of our sails.

If the Cowboys are able to win this one, this team may be special.