Keeping up w/ The Jones?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Bold> What I am about to post is slightly off-topic but it is a reflection of what players (and their agents) feel is adequate compensation--in comparison to what it used to be. The current salary cap structure began in 1993. In December 1993, Troy Aikman signed the richest NFL contract in history: $50 million, for eight years, and a $11 million dollar signing bonus.

Adjusted for inflation, $50 million equals $107.7 million in May 2024.

Today's quarterbacks are signing contracts far in excess to what they used to be 30 years ago in terms of comparative compensation.

That breaks down to roughly 6-7 mil a year, for a guy who has just won a SB, or 12-13 for inflation.
So that shows how overpaid qb's are today. They get way too much of the pie. That leaves too little for the rest of the team.

you would also have to factor in the cap back then and look @ % to get a better picture.

The Mahomes deal was the smart one, 10 years, so plenty of room to move $ around , and as time rolls
on 50 mil a year isnt that bad.
KC did everything right. They saw mahomes potential and then got him, and then signed him to the 10 year deal at end of rookie deal.

And now you have guys like CD wanting way too much, and parsons also wanting too much. I dont think either of them are worth
all that money, and both are prone to not play hard after they get their "bag"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That breaks down to roughly 6-7 mil a year, for a guy who has just won a SB, or 12-13 for inflation.
So that shows how overpaid qb's are today. They get way too much of the pie. That leaves too little for the rest of the team.

you would also have to factor in the cap back then and look @ % to get a better picture.

The Mahomes deal was the smart one, 10 years, so plenty of room to move $ around , and as time rolls
on 50 mil a year isnt that bad.
KC did everything right. They saw mahomes potential and then got him, and then signed him to the 10 year deal at end of rookie deal.

And now you have guys like CD wanting way too much, and parsons also wanting too much. I dont think either of them are worth
all that money, and both are prone to not play hard after they get their "bag"
I *kinda* see Micah Parsons slipping after he gets paid but it will really be disappointing to me if the same happens to CeeDee Lamb.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What fans aren’t taking into consideration is how cheap these QB’s and stars are during their Rookie deals.

And why when it’s time to get their 2nd contract the owners must cough it up if they want to retain them.

It’s why the best opportunity to win a championship is on a QB’s rookie deal unless you have an Elite QB. Even then it’s tougher.

That’s just the nature of the NFL in Cap era. The owners can change it at any time.