Kellen Moore is Mike Martz 2.0

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Kellen is a great pass game coordinator but doesn’t believe in the run much like Martz. Interesting given that Martz is one of Kitnas biggest mentors and he was with him in the AAF last spring.

We don’t need a run 40 times and we don’t need a pass 40 times. We need a coach who is able to do both effectively.

Ironically that’s what Lincoln’s has to do this year at OU given Jalen Hurts limitations and the only reason I’m intrigued by Josh McDaniels. They change their identity every week

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Kellen Moore doesn't believe in the run or the pass.

He believes in adapting play-to-play based on what the defense is doing. That might mean throwing it 50 times a game, or running 50 times a game. It is a necessity for modern coaches, and it's what every offense will be doing in 5 years. Variance outside of that is JG's influence, because he's not smart enough to do that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Didn't McDaniels flop in his HC stint?

He did but, you have to wonder what Kraft might have told him. I mean, McDaniels might be the Heir apparent to Belichick and that change could happen sooner then we might think. Listening to Belichick these past months, I would not be surprised to see him leave New England and the way Brady is talking, he might not be a Pat next year so yeah, we could be seeing a change there sooner then later perhaps. I would not count on McDaniels changing jerseys, hard to know.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Kellen is a great pass game coordinator but doesn’t believe in the run much like Martz. Interesting given that Martz is one of Kitnas biggest mentors and he was with him in the AAF last spring.

We don’t need a run 40 times and we don’t need a pass 40 times. We need a coach who is able to do both effectively.

Ironically that’s what Lincoln’s has to do this year at OU given Jalen Hurts limitations and the only reason I’m intrigued by Josh McDaniels. They change their identity every week

Two things. First when the running game ain't working as in half the games that only leaves passing to produce offense. In the games where the running game was working Moore kept running the ball. Second to compare college ball to the NFL is like comparing college football to high school football.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRiu5kdS6oaiHHJ72jeXUCG8gUHclRFNkWMX3v25fU9OkwbClEt

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yes. He’s down the list of who I’d want, but he at least shows an ability to adapt. Anything to get out of this “we are what we are” philosophy

Two things. First the list is long on all of the college coaches as 1st time NFL head coaches who failed. I pray the Cowboys don't make that mistake. Second, the problem I see with Parcells "you are what your what your record says you are" is that Parcells was saying that he wasn't a good enough coach to turn things around or to coach up his players to change the record. I've also always said that when a team loses a game by 7 or fewer points it usually means they either didn't get any of the bounces in that game or they had a total team let down on a play that could have either tied the score or taken the lead. Some times it's bogus calls from the refs like phantom tripping calls or last year in the playoffs how the saints got eliminated. And don't come back and say good teams don't have bad plays because there hasn't been a team yet that hasn't had them.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Kellen Moore doesn't believe in the run or the pass.

He believes in adapting play-to-play based on what the defense is doing. That might mean throwing it 50 times a game, or running 50 times a game. It is a necessity for modern coaches, and it's what every offense will be doing in 5 years. Variance outside of that is JG's influence, because he's not smart enough to do that.

good post.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Martz had the 3rd leading rushing offense in 2018. And did you watch how they beat the Cowboys in the playoffs last year? They beat the Cowboys on the ground.

Like someone else said. Moore doesn't believe in the run or pass, he believes in what the game dictates and what is working. Moore would have been happy if the running game had been more effective this season, but between some struggles running, and getting behind in a lot of games, we have had to pass more to have a chance.