Kellen Moore on running the ball outside the tackles

conner01

Reaction score
Why are outside runs auxiliary calls? Teams like the Packers have those built in to their game plan every week and it works. Then it becomes another play action weapon to waggle the opposite side and hit easy 10-15 yard gains
With the new rules it’s easier than ever

Hoods

Reaction score
This quote underscores just how little this man understands about running the football. Running outside in the NFL is almost NEVER about speed or outrunning the defenders to get yards.. It's about outflanking them with your receivers and tight ends and pulling your guards and maybe the center to lead the way for your backs. Every team in the NFL has at least one 4.4 linebacker and several sub 4.4 DBs.. so no you're not going to outrun them many times.. But you CAN seal them off from your ball carrier if your tight ends and receivers execute blocks. On Pollard's 58 yarder we pulled both Tyron and Biadasz who both got a hat on a hat and Noah Brown (or was that Lamb?) kicked his man out .. It was not speed that created that opening.. It was the fact that we got blocking on the outside. The Saints had two defenders with outside leverage so Pollard had to cut it back in and when he did it created a lane for Biadasz to kick on guy out and Brown stayed on the other one. Meanwhile Tyron turned back in and wiped out the remaining inside pursuer. That created the alley that Pollard hit at 100 mph and clearly surprised #43 by how quick he came out the other side.. The point being, that play wasn't made because we outran the defense.. It was made because we blocked. We definitely need to be doing more of that. So if that play proved to Moore that we can then I'm all for it!!!!
Or just maybe he just said that because he didn’t want to publicly acknowledge that our tight ends suck at blocking consistently. But I’m sure you know more than the coordinator of the #1 offense in the NFL ;)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Kellen Moore really understand the run game? Has he ever really run a run game offense? He did not at Boise State.

I am still a little shocked at that run for 5 on 1st down and then 2 passes when they wanted to burn clock and take a little bit more out of the defense. That made no sense.

There is nothing more frustrating to any defense than to know the offense wants to run the ball and then they do. Every run game caller has to just put it on his OL and not let the DC dictate the play calling.

The Cowboys had this top level OL, right? The Cowboys had the best two headed RB attack, right? Then why are they ranked 19th in run calls at 40.7%. TEN lost the best RB in the NFL and are at 4th at 47%, PHL is 1st at a little over 50% and that is the reason they've climbed back in it.

If this team doesn't get back to what they are designed to do, how in the hell are they going to be a team that travels well in the playoffs? Going to GB with a shootout in mind? Hell, GB ranks 14th in run calls with Rodgers at QB and missing Aaron Jones for several games.

Is Kellen Moore a finesse OC? Being a run team takes a mentally tough OC with unquestionable commitment. Is that him?

Cmac

Reaction score
This quote underscores just how little this man understands about running the football. Running outside in the NFL is almost NEVER about speed or outrunning the defenders to get yards.. It's about outflanking them with your receivers and tight ends and pulling your guards and maybe the center to lead the way for your backs. Every team in the NFL has at least one 4.4 linebacker and several sub 4.4 DBs.. so no you're not going to outrun them many times.. But you CAN seal them off from your ball carrier if your tight ends and receivers execute blocks. On Pollard's 58 yarder we pulled both Tyron and Biadasz who both got a hat on a hat and Noah Brown (or was that Lamb?) kicked his man out .. It was not speed that created that opening.. It was the fact that we got blocking on the outside. The Saints had two defenders with outside leverage so Pollard had to cut it back in and when he did it created a lane for Biadasz to kick on guy out and Brown stayed on the other one. Meanwhile Tyron turned back in and wiped out the remaining inside pursuer. That created the alley that Pollard hit at 100 mph and clearly surprised #43 by how quick he came out the other side.. The point being, that play wasn't made because we outran the defense.. It was made because we blocked. We definitely need to be doing more of that. So if that play proved to Moore that we can then I'm all for it!!!!
KMoore thinks he's coaching Big 12 with that assessment. Now if KMoore understands we need OL becoming "dogs" and man up with an occasional lead blocker, Zeke might break some, healthy. KMoore's formations are pass happy.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I mean wed be hammering him nonstop if he came out and said “you know I’m really game planning to make the outside runs a bigger staple of the offense. In fact let me draw up plays for you if you got some time. Mike can you get the lights?” You guys are insane if you think he’s gonna come out and say something like that a week before on of our biggest games of the season.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I blame kellen Moore for our run game. He calls the same gat dam run play up the middle then cries how the run game doesn't work.

We wants Boise state pass stats.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Does Kellen Moore really understand the run game? Has he ever really run a run game offense? He did not at Boise State.

I am still a little shocked at that run for 5 on 1st down and then 2 passes when they wanted to burn clock and take a little bit more out of the defense. That made no sense.

There is nothing more frustrating to any defense than to know the offense wants to run the ball and then they do. Every run game caller has to just put it on his OL and not let the DC dictate the play calling.

The Cowboys had this top level OL, right? The Cowboys had the best two headed RB attack, right? Then why are they ranked 19th in run calls at 40.7%. TEN lost the best RB in the NFL and are at 4th at 47%, PHL is 1st at a little over 50% and that is the reason they've climbed back in it.

If this team doesn't get back to what they are designed to do, how in the hell are they going to be a team that travels well in the playoffs? Going to GB with a shootout in mind? Hell, GB ranks 14th in run calls with Rodgers at QB and missing Aaron Jones for several games.

Is Kellen Moore a finesse OC? Being a run team takes a mentally tough OC with unquestionable commitment. Is that him?

So you must have missed games 2-7 when we ran for an average of 200 yards per game? I didnt hear your "Kellen Moore doesnt know about running the ball" during that time.

Why not?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Ill tell you what though................if he is just starting to get in tune with outside runs, that is a big problem.

“Auxiliary” sounds like code talk for, our RB isn’t fast enough to do it regularly.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Gee, I dunno, because he was running the ball?

Yeah imagine not complaining that the guy is not doing what you want him to do when he actually IS doing what you want him to do.. Then complaining when he stops.. Interesting approach.. You could almost argue it's even logical..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Or just maybe he just said that because he didn’t want to publicly acknowledge that our tight ends suck at blocking consistently. But I’m sure you know more than the coordinator of the #1 offense in the NFL ;)

This is a clear problem with our run game and regardless of our offensive ranking it’s not the same offense it was earlier.

People would’ve gave Kellen Moore a pass after a game or 2 but this is a month of this.

We held Mahomes under 20 in KC and our offense didn’t score a TD…