CFZ Key Post-draft Question: Are we better as a team in 2024 than 2023?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most post-draft analyses being offered by the football “experts“ tend to focus on each individual draft pick - their specific individual skills, their “value” in terms of when they were drafted, etc. What they rarely mention is what does this draft do collectively to make us a better football team? On top of that, you can never judge a draft before the new players have even played a meaningful down of football.

Overall I thought this year’s draft was generally good. We addressed two of the weakest areas this team had last year: The ability to run the ball and the ability to stop the run.

The acquisition of Tyler Guyton and Cooper Bebee should bring a long term improvement on the O- line.The acquisition of Marshawn Kneeland should have an impact on improving stopping the run, assuming he develops quickly. Not drafting a RB is the dangling need still hanging.

So back to question, Are we better in 2024 AS A TEAM after this draft? Here are my answers to that:
  • In the short run, meaning the 2024 season, on paper this team does NOT appear to be as good as last year’s team that won the NFC East and earned the #2 seed. They were pitiful in the playoffs last year but had a 12-5 regular season.
  • You can’t lose a HOF LT like Tyron Smith (although often injured last few years) and expect a rookie LT to walk in the door and immediately be better.
  • We may not immediately see Cooper Bebee be better than Tyler Biadaz was at Center. I certainly think Bebee has more upside than Biadaz so after a year or two Bebee may exceed Biadaz. And Bebee may end up being the long term replacement for Zack Martin.
  • In the next couple of seasons, if this year’s draft as well as the 2022 and 2023 classes show improvement, the 2025 team may be better than the 2024 version.
In conclusion, obviously it’s way too early to know how good this year’s draft will be. But it’s not too early to see that at least on paper this team is not clearly better NOW. But for 2025, that maybe different.

Do you think this draft has made the 2024 team better than the 2023 team?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
better...no way.

Guyton is not better than tyron even if tyron misses a few games. He could be better than steele was last year if guyton plays RT.
Kneeland isn't even the best backup DE on the roster so no upgrade there either. He's a body that allows them to move on from DLaw next year.
Cooper might start at Center but really he's next years RG and no he aint better than martin. He might be better than Holland to play center this year but I dont know about that yet.
Marist is a cox replacement. projected Nickle LB with tackling issues. Doubt he starts this year.
The rest are all backups at most.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean three years from now? Yeah. We got better. But as of now? We lost some solid veterans and we replaced them with rookies. I don’t see one rookie on this team he will be better then the guy they replaced….not this year.
That’s the thing about this upcoming season. It’s hard to realistically say that the 2024 team looks better. Maybe for 2025? If the front office had sprinkled in some talent in FA, it might be different.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I mean three years from now? Yeah. We got better. But as of now? We lost some solid veterans and we replaced them with rookies. I don’t see one rookie on this team that will be better than the guy they replaced….not this year.
Very well said.
People disrespecting Biadasz. He's a good NFL center, above average.
He's no TFred but very likely that Beebe is also not.
Beebe will have wins and losses, but is very likely not as good as Tyler B, in year 1.
Down the road? Possibly.
I understand the Cowboys thinking. Biadasz making almost 10 mil per year, Beebe will be making 1/10th of that, and will be cost controlled for 4 years. So I get it, biut let's not overreach here and suggest we will be better this year at C.

stinkface

Reaction score
Not better early for sure. Martin and Law are almost done and more tread will be off their tires later in the year, when the young guys are coming on. I think are O line will be weak early because of the young guys will be figuring things out. Then by the time they figure it out the older guys will start breaking down.

Above said who knows. Dak will play well in the regular season and out WOs and TEs are pretty good. Running game will be pretty poor unless we had some more talent. It is the weakest part of our team and it's not close.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s a look at the players we lost vs the players we’ve added:

DEPARTURES:
  • Tyron Smith, LT (Jets)
  • Tony Pollard, RB (Titans)
  • Johnathan Hankins, DT (Seahawks)
  • Dorance Armstrong, DE (Commanders)
  • Tyler Biadasz, C (Commanders)
  • Dante Fowler, DE (Commanders)
  • Noah Igbinoghene, CB (Commanders)
  • Neville Gallimore, DT (Dolphins)
  • Michael Gallup, WR (released)
  • Leighton Vander Esch, LB (released)
ADDITIONS:
Free agents:
  • Eric Kendricks, LB
  • Ezekiel Elliott, RB
  • Royce Freeman, RB
  • Jourdan Lewis, CB
  • Rico Dowdle, RB
  • Chuma Edoga, OL
  • C.J. Goodwin, ST
  • Trent Sieg, LS
Draft picks:
  • Round 1: OT Tyler Guyton
  • Round 2: DE Marshawn Kneeland
  • Round 3: G/C Cooper Beebe
  • Round 3: LB Marist Liufau
  • Round 5: CB Caelen Carson
  • Round 6: WR Ryan Flournoy
  • Round 7: OL Nathan Thomas
  • Round 7: DT Justin Rogers

Verdict

Reaction score
Most post-draft analyses being offered by the football “experts“ tend to focus on each individual draft pick - their specific individual skills, their “value” in terms of when they were drafted, etc. What they rarely mention is what does this draft do collectively to make us a better football team? On top of that, you can never judge a draft before the new players have even played a meaningful down of football.

Overall I thought this year’s draft was generally good. We addressed two of the weakest areas this team had last year: The ability to run the ball and the ability to stop the run.

The acquisition of Tyler Guyton and Cooper Bebee should bring a long term improvement on the O- line.The acquisition of Marshawn Kneeland should have an impact on improving stopping the run, assuming he develops quickly. Not drafting a RB is the dangling need still hanging.

So back to question, Are we better in 2024 AS A TEAM after this draft? Here are my answers to that:
  • In the short run, meaning the 2024 season, on paper this team does NOT appear to be as good as last year’s team that won the NFC East and earned the #2 seed. They were pitiful in the playoffs last year but had a 12-5 regular season.
The offensive line should be better from the outset or just a few games in. Tyron Smith should have been shipped off several years ago. Even if Guyton is marginal, he will be an improvement over the latter years Tyron. Biadasz wasn’t very good either, so it won’t take much to upgrade there either. There is a reason we couldn’t run the ball last year.
  • You can’t lose a HOF LT like Tyron Smith (although often injured last few years) and expect a rookie LT to walk in the door and immediately be better.
See above comments.
  • We may not immediately see Cooper Bebee be better than Tyler Biadaz was at Center. I certainly think Bebee has more upside than Biadaz so after a year or two Bebee may exceed Biadaz. And Bebee may end up being the long term replacement for Zack Martin.
I think if Bebee can actually snap the ball effectively it won’t be close. He will be a clear upgrade over Biadasz. Martin isn’t his old dominant self either.
  • In the next couple of seasons, if this year’s draft as well as the 2022 and 2023 classes show improvement, the 2025 team may be better than the 2024 version.
Parts of this team will be better. We should be better at LB and DB than last year. I think you will see Parsons get less pass rushing attempts and yet have more sacks. He will play more snaps in a traditional LB role. We will be better at both DB and linebacker.

The team is not yet done building this roster. I believe we will either add a RB from roster cut downs or via trade. Lots of good player will be replaced and cut due to adding draft picks.

In conclusion, obviously it’s way too early to know how good this year’s draft will be. But it’s not too early to see that at least on paper this team is not clearly better NOW. But for 2025, that maybe different.

Do you think this draft has made the 2024 team better than the 2023 team?
In short:

1. Still handicapped with Dak there but for the time being no worse there.
2. Offensive line (improved)
3. Defensive line (improved there). We added a trash can full of dirt there. Scheme will be a part of that.
4. Linebackers will play better.
5. As of this moment the only spots that you could say we will probably not be as good as of right now is RB (which will probably be addressed) and depth at WR.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The only people making the claim we got better are jerry's minions.

I think with Beebe IF he moves to center will be how fast he can get reliable at snapping. In virtually all ways that matter he is physically superior to Biadasz and is a nasty player. So IF he can snap he will be better but not right away.
Guyton needs work simple as that. So we will have some problems on the OL this year. We might not be much worse but certainly not better

gtb1943

Reaction score
The offensive line should be better from the outset or just a few games in. Tyron Smith should have been shipped off several years ago. Even if Guyton is marginal, he will be an improvement over the latter years Tyron. Biadasz wasn’t very good either, so it won’t take much to upgrade there either. There is a reason we couldn’t run the ball last year.

See above comments.

I think if Bebee can actually snap the ball effectively it won’t be close. He will be a clear upgrade over Biadasz. Martin isn’t his old dominant self either.

Parts of this team will be better. We should be better at LB and DB than last year. I think you will see Parsons get less pass rushing attempts and yet have more sacks. He will play more snaps in a traditional LB role. We will be better at both DB and linebacker.

The team is not yet done building this roster. I believe we will either add a RB from roster cut downs or via trade. Lots of good player will be replaced and cut due to adding draft picks.

In short:

1. Still handicapped with Dak there but for the time being no worse there.
2. Offensive line (improved)
3. Defensive line (improved there). We added a trash can full of dirt there. Scheme will be a part of that.
4. Linebackers will play better.
5. As of this moment the only spots that you could say we will probably not be as good as of right now is RB (which will probably be addressed) and depth at WR.
dude to start with Tyron smith was a legitmate All pro last year so your claim right there is full of crap
your post is not worth putting more effort into

Verdict

Reaction score
Here’s a look at the players we lost vs the players we’ve added:

DEPARTURES:
  • Tyron Smith, LT (Jets) washed up
  • Tony Pollard, RB (Titans) duly noted
  • Johnathan Hankins, DT (Seahawks) easily replaceable
  • Dorance Armstrong, DE (Commanders) Significant loss there but replaced with high second round pick.
  • Tyler Biadasz, C (Commanders) Glad to see him go.
  • Dante Fowler, DE (Commanders) JAG
  • Noah Igbinoghene, CB (Commanders) We hardly knew you
  • Neville Gallimore, DT (Dolphins) Disappointing player. I thought he would do more
  • Michael Gallup, WR (released) Just a guy at this point
  • Leighton Vander Esch, LB (released)He was a non factor after injury.

There is no one on your list that I personally RUE losing. Not one. Armstrong was probably the biggest loss.
ADDITIONS:
Free agents:
  • Eric Kendricks, LB
  • Ezekiel Elliott, RB
  • Royce Freeman, RB
  • Jourdan Lewis, CB
  • Rico Dowdle, RB
  • Chuma Edoga, OL
  • C.J. Goodwin, ST
  • Trent Sieg, LS

Not a lot to be excited about here either. Lewis isn’t bad. Idk what Kendricks has left but he could be an upgrade over LVE. Freeman is a big fat zero.
Draft picks:
  • Round 1: OT Tyler Guyton
  • Round 2: DE Marshawn Kneeland
  • Round 3: G/C Cooper Beebe
  • Round 3: LB Marist Liufau
  • Round 5: CB Caelen Carson
  • Round 6: WR Ryan Flournoy
  • Round 7: OL Nathan Thomas
  • Round 7: DT Justin Rogers
It will come down to how we drafted, but I think Beebe will be an instant impact player for us. The trashcan of die will help on the DL too.

We will get more help from this draft class than we lost but the places you get it will sometimes surprise you.

Scheme will help some on defense. I think people underestimate just how bad our OL play was in terms of the running game.

Verdict

Reaction score
dude to start with Tyron smith was a legitmate All pro last year so your claim right there is full of crap
your post is not worth putting more effort into
It’s was in name only. Tyron Smith was a great player but he was washed up and injured the past several years.

Verdict

Reaction score
Side question, how many believe Mike Zimmer is an upgrade over Dan Quinn? That will likely be the biggest onfield difference from 2023 to 2024
In run defense I think Zimmer will be a clear upgrade. DQ let his guys pass rush far too often. I think we will get fewer turnovers under Zimmer but have a better base defense.

IDK about third down defense. I’m curious to see how that turns out.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think this team is setting itself up for 2025 and could be better by then, but struggle to say they are a better roster in 2024. I think we are too quick to dismiss the players that walked this offseason. Tyron Smith is always a struggle to stay healthy but he still a top T for 12 games. Biadasz was a league average starter. Gilmore despite losing a step we would have been lost without last year. Despite being a part time player Armstrong had 18 sacks over the last two years. Pollard was rough to watch at times last year but I still think we downgraded the position this year.

It feels like Jerry is all in with scheme changes making this team better in 2024.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Definitely NOT at this point. When I see who is playing RB1, WR3 I'll let you know. I think they'll be better center, better at LB, maybe by seasons end they'll be as good at LT. The pass rush is a big question mark. The corners are a big question mark with diggs knee and no gilmore.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
The only people making the claim we got better are jerry's minions.

I think with Beebe IF he moves to center will be how fast he can get reliable at snapping. In virtually all ways that matter he is physically superior to Biadasz and is a nasty player. So IF he can snap he will be better but not right away.
Guyton needs work simple as that. So we will have some problems on the OL this year. We might not be much worse but certainly not better
I agree, Beebe IMO is a better selection in the third round than Guyton was as a first round selection. Beebe hasn't play a game at center but in college he did practice at center so I don't think it's a big leap for him to play center and I think he's a huge upgrade over Biadasz who I thought was the second worst linemen last year after Steele on the OLine.....Guyton on the other hand is very raw IMO, 14 games in college and one at left tackle is a small sample size, I think he'd be lucky to start the season at left tackle because he's so raw....