Keys to victory against NE

blindzebra

Reaction score
Here's how we win it:

Come out passing...the OL doesn't run block well early, Belichick is gonna attack the LOS to try to confuse and rattle Romo. Attack the edges with TO and the backs and the deep middle with Witten. Stay away from slants and crosses because they'll zone blitz to try to fool Tony.

Score early...this is linked directly to the first key. Dallas can't wait until the 2nd quarter and 2nd half to start scoring.

Jam and rough up Moss...Randy is a wuss, his history shows it. Be physical early and he disappears, give him a free release and he'll kill you. I don't care if we even get a few illegal contact penalties, 5 yards here and there for a pouting Moss is a good trade.

Hit Brady...Like Peyton Manning he doesn't get hit very much so when he does it throws him off his game. We need to be aggressive, we need to blitz from different spots, but whatever we do, even if we don't get sacks, we need to knock pretty boy on his arse.

Tackle well...because of trying to bring pressure we'll see a lot of dump offs and quick throws, we can't let that 4 yard pass turn into a 15-20 yard play.

Don't give up any cheap plays on special teams...we can't afford to give them any easy points.

Protect the football...again, we can't give them easy scores, and we need to keep the defense off the field and give them rest.

Once we have a lead we need to start pounding away with the OL and then hit them for a big play on play action.

After a pass a lot early start we need a real nice balance late...pound the rock, but don't go all conservative...long drives with points is the key...wear them down and keep their offense off the field.

We have the weapons on offense to attack them like no team they have faced, and we are far and away the most physical team they have faced...we use both to our advantage and dictate the game to them.

aikemirv

Reaction score
On the pass early scenario, I don't agree with it. The last thing we need is Romo feeling like he needs to pass and make plays to win this game. We need a strong running attack otherwise their defense is going to be all over Romo all day long. We have to punch them in the mouth early with the run and not let them key in on Romo. Start Romo slow and let him build confidence. The last thing he needs is an early int!

The Oline better be ready to fight all day long.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Prediction:

We will see our CB's guarding Moss the way we've been guarding other WRS, 8 yards off.

Everyone on the board will say, "Why aren't we jamming him at the line."

All hell will break loose.

blindzebra

Reaction score
aikemirv;1699399 said:
On the pass early scenario, I don't agree with it. The last thing we need is Romo feeling like he needs to pass and make plays to win this game. We need a strong running attack otherwise their defense is going to be all over Romo all day long. We have to punch them in the mouth early with the run and not let them key in on Romo. Start Romo slow and let him build confidence. The last thing he needs is an early int!

The Oline better be ready to fight all day long.

Yeah Cincy took that approach and after three 3 and outs they were trailing and the game was over.

The simple fact is our OL doesn't run block worth a crap in the first half, especially the first quarter...we have very little chance of getting an early lead if we come out running.

Our strength is passing, we must dictate to them. We change things up and we get our butts kicked.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
blindzebra;1699367 said:
Here's how we win it:

Come out passing...the OL doesn't run block well early, Belichick is gonna attack the LOS to try to confuse and rattle Romo. Attack the edges with TO and the backs and the deep middle with Witten. Stay away from slants and crosses because they'll zone blitz to try to fool Tony.

Score early...this is linked directly to the first key. Dallas can't wait until the 2nd quarter and 2nd half to start scoring.

Jam and rough up Moss...Randy is a wuss, his history shows it. Be physical early and he disappears, give him a free release and he'll kill you. I don't care if we even get a few illegal contact penalties, 5 yards here and there for a pouting Moss is a good trade.

Hit Brady...Like Peyton Manning he doesn't get hit very much so when he does it throws him off his game. We need to be aggressive, we need to blitz from different spots, but whatever we do, even if we don't get sacks, we need to knock pretty boy on his arse.

Tackle well...because of trying to bring pressure we'll see a lot of dump offs and quick throws, we can't let that 4 yard pass turn into a 15-20 yard play.

Don't give up any cheap plays on special teams...we can't afford to give them any easy points.

Protect the football...again, we can't give them easy scores, and we need to keep the defense off the field and give them rest.

Once we have a lead we need to start pounding away with the OL and then hit them for a big play on play action.

After a pass a lot early start we need a real nice balance late...pound the rock, but don't go all conservative...long drives with points is the key...wear them down and keep their offense off the field.

We have the weapons on offense to attack them like no team they have faced, and we are far and away the most physical team they have faced...we use both to our advantage and dictate the game to them.

Good stuff there.

I think getting heat on Brady is the big key, inside rush if possible. Let him see what is coming.

Also watch for all the misdirection stuff they run...they ran several reserves plus their usual ton of screens vs. a Brown's defense that was trying to be aggressive.

btcutter

Reaction score
If we execute any plan to perfection, we go 16-0.

They do have a coach too...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Defensively, I think you definitely need to hit Brady. The harder the better. He doesn't like to get hit and it messes with his game.

aikemirv

Reaction score
blindzebra;1699436 said:
Yeah Cincy took that approach and after three 3 and outs they were trailing and the game was over.

The simple fact is our OL doesn't run block worth a crap in the first half, especially the first quarter...we have very little chance of getting an early lead if we come out running.

Our strength is passing, we must dictate to them. We change things up and we get our butts kicked.

We have a much better D than Cinncinnati and the 54 pooints they allowed Cleveland.

You offer no run and the Patriots will be licking their chops and going after Romo. I kind of hope they do come all out and Romo moves around and eats them alive like he did Chicago.

I will take it all back then, don't run, let them pin their ears back and flush Romo, maybe that will get him back in stride.

Eddie

Reaction score
Mathematically, it's a very simple formula in beating the Patriots. Score 1 more point than they score.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coming out passing is fine...but I would run screens to JJ, swing passes to Barber and Anderson to start. Don't start throwing outs or over the middle. The way Romo has started off, this would call for disaster.

Something I would actually like to see is some type of package that calls for us to line up like this sometimes:

TE LT LG C RG RT TE
Fasano FLo BIG Andre Koiser Columbo Witten

RUN left, RUN left, RUN left

Then later on, start to PA when in the same package. I know this isn't going to happen, but it would be interesting to see if that could get the running game going.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
If Romo plays like the Star he is becoming ...... we will win.

Please let Roy or Hamlin catch Moss on a slant with a big hit ......

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Good post, BZ.

Here is what I would think of. What advantages do we have over them, and what can we do to make sure we use them? It's a hard question, because they are better than us in almost every area. But there are some things we can do.

-- I think BB will take away Witten and Owens. But that's okay. IMO Patrick Crayton is becoming a better and better player. He's got great hands, he's strong, and he's tough as nails. He can beat whatever player they use to cover him.

-- I'd also try to work Fasano. This'll be tough because their LBs are so experienced. But Fasano did some good things in preseason, and I'd try to use him. It's not that Fasano is a great athlete, but that he'd be a surprise.

-- I also think -- and this won't be popular -- that we should try to get Julius out in the open on some screens. They aren't that fast a defense (the old Parcells big-first philosophy, though not to that extreme) and I think Julius can outrun and outquick some of their players.

-- On defense, I have to admit that I'm not that sure what I'd do. On the one hand, their O-line is so good, it's hard to get any pressure on Brady. But you also don't want to sit back and let him pick you apart, because he can do that. I just remember the SD defense didn't get a lot of rush on Brady. But maybe Ware's quickness will be something they don't expect.

-- One thing's for sure, our best player have to play their best. We need, for instance, Ware to really be fired up and extra quick. We need an Ellis sighting. We need Roy to make a patented big play or two.

-- One thing we might be better at is special teams. I wish McBriar could punt out of bounds like Moorman did. And I wonder if Newman *might* return a punt or two. I wish he were healthy, because a big punt return could be huge.

And in the gut feel dept... For some reason, I keep having visions of Anthony Spencer getting a big, big hit on Brady. I don't know why, but I do. Maybe they devote so much attention to Ware that Spencer can beat a single block.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1699667 said:
Good post, BZ.

Here is what I would think of. What advantages do we have over them, and what can we do to make sure we use them? It's a hard question, because they are better than us in almost every area. But there are some things we can do.

-- I think BB will take away Witten and Owens. But that's okay. IMO Patrick Crayton is becoming a better and better player. He's got great hands, he's strong, and he's tough as nails. He can beat whatever player they use to cover him.

-- I'd also try to work Fasano. This'll be tough because their LBs are so experienced. But Fasano did some good things in preseason, and I'd try to use him. It's not that Fasano is a great athlete, but that he'd be a surprise.

-- I also think -- and this won't be popular -- that we should try to get Julius out in the open on some screens. They aren't that fast a defense (the old Parcells big-first philosophy, though not to that extreme) and I think Julius can outrun and outquick some of their players.

-- On defense, I have to admit that I'm not that sure what I'd do. On the one hand, their O-line is so good, it's hard to get any pressure on Brady. But you also don't want to sit back and let him pick you apart, because he can do that. I just remember the SD defense didn't get a lot of rush on Brady. But maybe Ware's quickness will be something they don't expect.

-- One thing's for sure, our best player have to play their best. We need, for instance, Ware to really be fired up and extra quick. We need an Ellis sighting. We need Roy to make a patented big play or two.

-- One thing we might be better at is special teams. I wish McBriar could punt out of bounds like Moorman did. And I wonder if Newman *might* return a punt or two. I wish he were healthy, because a big punt return could be huge.

And in the gut feel dept... For some reason, I keep having visions of Anthony Spencer getting a big, big hit on Brady. I don't know why, but I do. Maybe they devote so much attention to Ware that Spencer can beat a single block.

Trust me..they know about Ware and his quickness. Spencer, Ellis, Hatcher the rest of the gang will have to find a way to put Brady on his back or at least cause him to rush his passes.

Miami in times past, had a few big games against Brady by actually disrupting and harassing him all game long. I hope we can do the same.

kmp77

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter if we win this game against NE....if matters if we win the rematch :) And you know when that'll be.

firehawk350

Reaction score
zrinkill;1699545 said:
If Romo plays like the Star he is becoming ...... we will win.

Please let Roy or Hamlin catch Moss on a slant with a big hit ......
Just curious dude, but when was the last time Roy put a big hit on somebody? I haven't seen him really lay into anybody in a while.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Randy Moss is 6-4 and a big cat. He can beat corners that try and "rough him up". We better roll safety coverage his way for damned sure. He's toasted Dallas badly over the years.

If we can't run the ball Romo is in for a long day.

I think the key to victory is keep Brady in 3rd and longs and hit him. We need our pash rush to get to Brady and hope he starts chuckinng it around and pulls a Romo.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
firehawk350;1699824 said:
Just curious dude, but when was the last time Roy put a big hit on somebody? I haven't seen him really lay into anybody in a while.

Just curious "dude", do you really think I am gonna answer a stupid question from a Commander troll?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offensively, this team needs to get back to the slants and crossing routes that allowed Owens to be successful to start the season. He's better at those than simple vertical routes.

I also think it's time to use Fasano - since the team used a 2nd round draft choice on the guy. Force guys like Bruschi and Seau into coverage. I don't think either can stay with Dallas' TE's, much less Julius or Barber.