Kibbles & Tidbits II

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
While the Cowboys have a very balanced offense and talent across the board, I think the statement of doing things better than 2/3rd of the NFL's offenses is a bit misleading.

Right off the bat in the NFL you have teams that have poor offense, decent offense, good offense, and great offense. Right off the bat, probably 2/3rds of the NFL belongs in the poor to decent range. Any team that has invested substantially in offense generally ends up in the top third of the NFL in offense. The challenge is putting together high caliber offense and defense, whether that be great offense and good defense or good offense and great defense is always a question that comes up when we look at the participants in the Super Bowl.

For the longest time the Cowboys would have good-great offense, but poor defense or at best having good-great offense, and decent-good defense for short periods of time. Right now, I would say that we are probably in the range of good offense and decent-good defense. Last year we were 5th in the league in scoring, but significantly behind Atlanta and New Orleans. New England and Green Bay were ahead of us in scoring as well, but not by as much.

Believe it or not the Cowboys were also 5th in the league in points allowed on defense. Significantly higher than 21st ranked Green Bay and 27th ranked Atlanta. Yet we lost to Green Bay who lost to Atlanta. The difference was the explosiveness of their offenses when compared to ours. Atlanta had 4725 passing yards and Green Bay had 4199 passing yards. Dallas had 3631....

Ball control and game management works well in the regular season and can potentially work well in the post-season too, but when you go up against elite QBs you have to be able to keep up with them. The best QB Dak beat last year was Ben Roethlisberger, and that was only when the Steelers were just coming out of their funk. Key match ups this year will be against Green Bay, Atlanta, Oakland, and Seattle. All four games will be harder than any games we played in the regular season last year. I don't believe our defense is currently good enough for Dak to (in my opinion) remain a game manager and have sufficient success against playoff caliber teams.
Good post G-beast!
Granting you the above stated are FACTS from the previous season, although those are about the best yardstick to draw from, our Mr. #4 not only squared off against " the best" Q.B. in Ben Roethlisberger yet I recall Mr.#4 also handing out a largeness 'L' to that green bay Q.B.o_O,,,
Until it is abundantly obvious this DALLAS COWBOY Team fails to meet the challenge ,your observations are merely that,,, reasoned speculation! and G-beast they are from the corner of sound insights o_O
Let us not waver in the task at hand ,heh?
Why don't you join the TEAM!, and come on in for the BIG WIN,huh?o_O

:oldcouple::yourock::yourock::oldcouple:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
1/3 of 32 = 10.66. Which is where the Cowboys are in relation to the rest of the league in terms of offense.

Are you suggesting the Cowboys do not have a top 10 offense? o_O

Where did I even come close to suggesting that?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Are they not better than two-thirds of the offenses in the NFL?

Reading is your friend.

I didn't say they weren't in the top 2/3rds, I said your statement was misleading because being in the top 2/3rds doesn't make you special.

jday

Reaction score
Reading is your friend.

I didn't say they weren't in the top 2/3rds, I said your statement was misleading because being in the top 2/3rds doesn't make you special.
I agree reading is your friend; I do quite a bit of it.

If the Cowboys are better than two-thirds, that would mean they are in the top one-third, which when you do the math means the Cowboys would be top 10.

After one game, I think that is safe to say...:thumbup:

jrumann59

Reaction score
I'm not certain why you mixed RPO in with Read Option.

Read option is about the QB running the ball or the RB running the ball.

RPO is a Pass or a Run by the RB. It does not require an a RGIII type QB.
Romo as QB they did a lot of RPO, two plays sent in one being a pass one being a run witht he QB having the freedom to go to either when at the line.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
guy-man-reading-book-animation-1.gif

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I agree reading is your friend; I do quite a bit of it.

If the Cowboys are better than two-thirds, that would mean they are in the top one-third, which when you do the math means the Cowboys would be top 10.

After one game, I think that is safe to say...:thumbup:

Again, when did I say they weren't in the top 10?

jday

Reaction score
Again, when did I say they weren't in the top 10?
So you are saying they should be in the top 10 by merit of cap allocation. Got it. I don't disagree with that. The thing is, whether or not the Cowboys are getting what they pay for or not is kinda beside the point. The point was the Cowboys do in fact have an offense that is multi-faceted and flexible to execute any scheme and attack defenses in multiple ways...better than two-thirds of the league...I have homer-tendencies, so that was a stab at objectivity. I honestly do believe they are even better than that. Trouble is, we haven't seen it to the level we saw it in 2016. So for the time being I am cautiously optimistic, but refrain from being over-zealous in my assessments.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
So you are saying they should be in the top 10 by merit of cap allocation. Got it. I don't disagree with that. The thing is, whether or not the Cowboys are getting what they pay for or not is kinda beside the point. The point was the Cowboys do in fact have an offense that is multi-faceted and flexible to execute any scheme and attack defenses in multiple ways...better than two-thirds of the league...I have homer-tendencies, so that was a stab at objectivity. I honestly do believe they are even better than that. Trouble is, we haven't seen it to the level we saw it in 2016. So for the time being I am cautiously optimistic, but refrain from being over-zealous in my assessments.

My point is being in the top 10 of the league doesn't matter. There aren't 10 elite offenses in the NFL.

Being multi-faceted is great in theory, but in execution what you want is to be elite at something.

Even with a supposedly elite offensive line and top talent at running back, we don't consistently impose our will on the ground against teams. Elliott is often an after thought in this offense. Cole Beasley is probably a top 3-5 slot receiver in the NFL, yet his targets per game are pedestrian.

We're lacking an identity that wins super bowls at the moment. You don't win super bowls with game management and decent to good defense... You just don't.

jday

Reaction score
My point is being in the top 10 of the league doesn't matter. There aren't 10 elite offenses in the NFL.

Being multi-faceted is great in theory, but in execution what you want is to be elite at something.

Even with a supposedly elite offensive line and top talent at running back, we don't consistently impose our will on the ground against teams. Elliott is often an after thought in this offense. Cole Beasley is probably a top 3-5 slot receiver in the NFL, yet his targets per game are pedestrian.

We're lacking an identity that wins super bowls at the moment. You don't win super bowls with game management and decent to good defense... You just don't.

Seriously? GB...I can't prove this...I know. But what I see is vastly different from what you see. I see shades of 92. I see a team on the cusp of dominating not just this year but for several years in a row. I see all that with the capacity to be a realist. The best teams don't always win...just the best teams for those three hours. Players are human. Humans have floors and ceilings in terms of their performance. The players coaches love the most aren't necessarily Super Stars in terms of talent and potential, but are consistent. We need much more of the season to decide about this teams overall consistency, but based on what we have seen so far, I have no question they are going to eventually get there. Be it this season or the next, greatness is coming.