Kibbles & Tidbits IV

jday

Reaction score
For those unfamiliar with the concept, the following is the combination of a few threads in one to grant you the reader a snapshot of the topics circling the drain of my brain. Without further ado:

The Common Denominator & Symbiotic Relationships

The common denominator that all of Cowboys nation can agree on, I suspect, is that the iteration of the Cowboys that played in the second half of this past Sunday’s contest will not win many (if any) games in November and December. The solutions for what ails the Cowboys being offered by the masses are varied and plentiful. Some are reasonable, others clearly emotional responses, while all, I believe, only address part of the issue and not the whole. I, for one, offer no solutions because I don’t believe there is one particular issue that trumps every issue currently plaguing the Cowboys. But I do believe there still remains to us plenty of reasons for hope.

Some of these so-called mistakes may eventually prove to be their redemption, such as the front office allowing the majority of the secondary to seek greener pastures in Free Agency in favor of a youth and talent infusion via the draft. The good news is slowly but surely I believe the young talent on this team will rise to the occasion. We have seen flashes from the likes of Chidobe, Lewis, and Woods that suggest to me eventually this secondary will be better than what we have seen over the past several years. We have also seen flashes from the defensive line; though, unfortunately, have yet to see them put it all together at the same time.

With the return of David Irving from a four game suspension, the conditions are now ripe to see this unit as a whole ascend to greatness. If David Irving can pick up where he left off last year (which is certainly asking a lot, by the way), teams will no longer be able to focus solely on Demarcus Lawrence. With even the slightest improvement in passrush consistency, the ideal consequence of zone coverage in the form of turnovers should increase perceptibly. But asking to see this improvement as soon as this weekend may be asking for a bit much.

On the offensive side of the ball, I still have faith in Dak to bounce back despite the narrative that suggest this is indeed a sophomore slump. Where I draw the majority of my belief from is due to the leader he has proven to be. Beyond all the various prerequisites a franchise quarterback must possess and what Dak is ultimately measured by, in my view, being a leader is by far the most important. I trust in his ability to right whatever is wrong with the ship that is the Cowboys offense.

Zeke is not as fast as he was in 2016; I don’t care what he says to the contrary. I don’t care what others say to suggest otherwise. On his first carry in the second half against the Bengals in 2016 he displayed a gear we have not seen in 2017. Disagree all you like.

That said, he doesn’t have to be his 2016-fast to be effective in 2017. He just needs to continue to be able to get that inch when all the Cowboys need is an inch. He absolutely still has the ability to do that, however, just as there exist a cooperative (or symbiotic) relationship between the pass rush and resulting coverage, there also exist a similar relationship between Zeke and the offensive line and by extension the run and pass game, particularly passes set up by play action. Ultimately, as a result, this offense will go as the offensive line goes.

True Value

I think most agree the Cowboys offensive line has underperformed thus far in 2017. The easy explanation is to point out the 2 (3, if you count Cooper’s contribution this past Sunday) new editions to the line and the loss of Leary and Free to Free Agency and Retirement respectively. And that might serve well to explain away their underperforming if we weren’t seeing the big three getting pushed back like they are on skates at times, along with the new additions. In truth, all 5 offensive lineman have struggled at different times in different ways in different games thus played this season.

In 2016, the weak link was Doug Free. I will not argue with you there. But interestingly, Doug Free was also dubbed the leader of that group. As the weak link, it follows that he had to work harder than the others whose talent overcame what his deficiencies could not. As their leader, however, they likely worked, as he worked. Things that make you go “Hmmmm.”

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

~ Tim Notke ~

I obviously don’t have any insider knowledge of how the offensive line works at their craft; I’ve heard/read they are a blue collar bunch that wants to be known as the hardest working unit in football. But I do wonder if Doug Free’s biggest contribution was his work ethic and the standard he held his co-lineman accountable to. Are they still working as hard in his absence or does their reputation now precede them beyond what is presently deserved? I don’t know for a certainty one way or another, but it would certainly explain the lack of holes Zeke has enjoyed thus far and lack of time in the pocket Dak has been forced to overcome. Or it could simply be the present lack of continuity…time will tell.

Trust Issues

I believe the trust issues I’m about to outline are quite possibly yet another common denominator among Cowboys faithful. I am having trust issues as a result of what I believe to be the coaches trust issues. The problem in my mind is the trust a few enjoy a little too much of and beyond their worth while others don’t garner enough trust, despite their play suggesting more trust is in order. Confused?

For those who have been here for the entirety of Jason Garrett’s tenure, this is nothing new. It takes a lot for him to set aside allegiances for the betterment of the team. And, in my opinion, he is often times too late with his adjustments. Point of fact, some of the best things that have happened to this team happened because Garrett had no other choice but to play the next man up. Demarco Murray did not start until injury required it. Dez Bryant did not start until injury required it. Austin Miles (when he was playing well, mind you) did not get an opportunity in lieu of Roy Williams until injury required it. I’m sure there are more examples, but those are a few that come to mind.

In the history of Jason Garrett as Offensive Coordinator and now Head Coach we have seen a litany of situations where the only reason we found a great player was because Jason was forced by injury to use that player; Dak Prescott being the latest example. Truth be told, Dak likely would still be sitting in place of Cooper this year, had both Kellen Moore and Tony Romo not been injured before 2016 got under way.

Take Kellen Moore still being on the final 53, just for instance. While Kellen in no shape, form or fashion deserves the blame (nor the credit) for what has happened in four games thus far this season, I do believe his current presence on the 53 highlights the trust issues I speak of. Kellen Moore has no business still being on this team or any NFL team for that matter. He absolutely cannot throw the ball 15 or more yards down the field without the benefit of a launch trajectory completing a half circle, which means the defense in many cases has plenty of time to adjust to the ball, regardless of the step on the defender the receiver had when the ball was launched. As a result, Kellen is quite simply an interception waiting to happen. Cooper Rush clearly outplayed him in preseason and yet Cooper has yet to grace the gameday 46, sitting at home on the couch in Kellen’s stead. Again, this is much ado about nothing, all things considered. But given the too safe route the Cowboys coaches are addressing that situation with, it should be no surprise that they are also playing it too safe with their in-game management, as well. Savvy?

When Jeff Heath is on the field during an obvious passing situation, many of us already know where the ball is going to go and beyond that also know that it is more than likely going to be successful. Heath gives the Cowboys absolutely nothing as a coverage Safety…nothing. Be it man or zone coverage, he is woefully inept in that capacity. As a Special Teamer, he is ideal. But on the field during any defensive snap, he is a liability.

Some might say, he has his purposes as a run-stopping in-the-box safety, which there is truth to; he absolutely can punish the ball carrier. The problem is by the very act of placing Heath on the field the Cowboys are showing the opposing offensive coordinator their hand; the Cowboys are expecting (and likely hoping for) a run, if not a short pass. After all, there is no hard and fast rule that teams have to run in obvious running situations…that is merely prevailing wisdom…unless, of course, Heath is in the lineup, then it’s just painting by the numbers where a little creativity outside of the typical lines is absolutely begged for, as was the case with Gurley’s touchdown from 53 yards out that sprinted right past Heath’s poor angle to the ball.

My last example of this coaching staff playing it safe is the last game of the 2016 season against the Commanders. After a few snaps, the Cowboy sat just about every starter, because they already had the #1 seed wrapped up and playing starters seemed a terrible risk for a meaningless game. At the time I understood the logic and halfway supported it, until I saw the way the players opened the game against the Packers. For those of you who have already forgotten what they looked like against the Packers in the first half of that playoff game, you need only look at the second half of this past Rams game. The Cowboys quite simply did not look like they belonged in that arena, much less as the #1 seed. Of course, I can’t prove it, but in hindsight, I think the Cowboys should have played game 16 like they were playing game #1. After all, playing any way but to win is ultimately practicing to lose.

I am not in favor of firing Jason Garrett; that is partially due to me not ignoring the positive he has brought to this franchise (which is extensive for those who have forgotten the hot mess Wade left) and partially for fear of who Jerry would bring in next (Jeff Fisher….seriously?). But, there is a fine line between coaching smart and coaching scared and I think Jason plays jump rope with that line quite a bit. I hate the assertion that suggest the Cowboys will never win a championship with Jason Garrett as a Head Coach, but unless there is a change in his (at times) overly-safe approach or they suffer the right combination of injuries to force Garrett’s hand, there very well may be truth to that statement.

Wrap It Up

I’m no expert. Most of the above is pure unadulterated conjecture based purely on televised observation of the actual games and the various tidbits I pick up from reading and watching the numerous talking heads/mediots on YouTube debate what’s eating Gilbert Grape. I soak up and absorb the information being spewed abroad like a sponge and regurgitate that here in my own eclectic and unique way. With that said, if you disagree, feel free to let me know.

Be ye fairly warned, though: There are certain beliefs I simply will not entertain and most likely will not deign fit to respond to:

1. Dak Prescott is not a franchise quarterback.

2. Zeke was not worth the fourth overall pick.

3. Releasing Claiborne, Carr, Church, and/or Willcox this past offseason was a mistake.

Other than those three topic-bugaboos, everything is fair-game, including my observations above.

Thoughts?

jday

Reaction score
can you repost it as crib notes..... :huh:
No, I really can't. Context would be lost in a summary. However, what you could do is just read the first section than back out of the thread. Click on the thread entitled Kibbles & Tidbits IV and read the second section, once again backing out of thread once your are finished. Then click on the thread entitled Kibbles & Tidbits IV and read the third section. So on and so forth. That way, you didn't read one long thread, but only took time to read three small threads.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
For those unfamiliar with the concept, the following is the combination of a few threads in one to grant you the reader a snapshot of the topics circling the drain of my brain. Without further ado:

The Common Denominator & Symbiotic Relationships

The common denominator that all of Cowboys nation can agree on, I suspect, is that the iteration of the Cowboys that played in the second half of this past Sunday’s contest will not win many (if any) games in November and December. The solutions for what ails the Cowboys being offered by the masses are varied and plentiful. Some are reasonable, others clearly emotional responses, while all, I believe, only address part of the issue and not the whole. I, for one, offer no solutions because I don’t believe there is one particular issue that trumps every issue currently plaguing the Cowboys. But I do believe there still remains to us plenty of reasons for hope.

Some of these so-called mistakes may eventually prove to be their redemption, such as the front office allowing the majority of the secondary to seek greener pastures in Free Agency in favor of a youth and talent infusion via the draft. The good news is slowly but surely I believe the young talent on this team will rise to the occasion. We have seen flashes from the likes of Chidobe, Lewis, and Woods that suggest to me eventually this secondary will be better than what we have seen over the past several years. We have also seen flashes from the defensive line; though, unfortunately, have yet to see them put it all together at the same time.

With the return of David Irving from a four game suspension, the conditions are now ripe to see this unit as a whole ascend to greatness. If David Irving can pick up where he left off last year (which is certainly asking a lot, by the way), teams will no longer be able to focus solely on Demarcus Lawrence. With even the slightest improvement in passrush consistency, the ideal consequence of zone coverage in the form of turnovers should increase perceptibly. But asking to see this improvement as soon as this weekend may be asking for a bit much.

On the offensive side of the ball, I still have faith in Dak to bounce back despite the narrative that suggest this is indeed a sophomore slump. Where I draw the majority of my belief from is due to the leader he has proven to be. Beyond all the various prerequisites a franchise quarterback must possess and what Dak is ultimately measured by, in my view, being a leader is by far the most important. I trust in his ability to right whatever is wrong with the ship that is the Cowboys offense.

Zeke is not as fast as he was in 2016; I don’t care what he says to the contrary. I don’t care what others say to suggest otherwise. On his first carry in the second half against the Bengals in 2016 he displayed a gear we have not seen in 2017. Disagree all you like.

That said, he doesn’t have to be his 2016-fast to be effective in 2017. He just needs to continue to be able to get that inch when all the Cowboys need is an inch. He absolutely still has the ability to do that, however, just as there exist a cooperative (or symbiotic) relationship between the pass rush and resulting coverage, there also exist a similar relationship between Zeke and the offensive line and by extension the run and pass game, particularly passes set up by play action. Ultimately, as a result, this offense will go as the offensive line goes.

True Value

I think most agree the Cowboys offensive line has underperformed thus far in 2017. The easy explanation is to point out the 2 (3, if you count Cooper’s contribution this past Sunday) new editions to the line and the loss of Leary and Free to Free Agency and Retirement respectively. And that might serve well to explain away their underperforming if we weren’t seeing the big three getting pushed back like they are on skates at times, along with the new additions. In truth, all 5 offensive lineman have struggled at different times in different ways in different games thus played this season.

In 2016, the weak link was Doug Free. I will not argue with you there. But interestingly, Doug Free was also dubbed the leader of that group. As the weak link, it follows that he had to work harder than the others whose talent overcame what his deficiencies could not. As their leader, however, they likely worked, as he worked. Things that make you go “Hmmmm.”

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

~ Tim Notke ~

I obviously don’t have any insider knowledge of how the offensive line works at their craft; I’ve heard/read they are a blue collar bunch that wants to be known as the hardest working unit in football. But I do wonder if Doug Free’s biggest contribution was his work ethic and the standard he held his co-lineman accountable to. Are they still working as hard in his absence or does their reputation now precede them beyond what is presently deserved? I don’t know for a certainty one way or another, but it would certainly explain the lack of holes Zeke has enjoyed thus far and lack of time in the pocket Dak has been forced to overcome. Or it could simply be the present lack of continuity…time will tell.

Trust Issues

I believe the trust issues I’m about to outline are quite possibly yet another common denominator among Cowboys faithful. I am having trust issues as a result of what I believe to be the coaches trust issues. The problem in my mind is the trust a few enjoy a little too much of and beyond their worth while others don’t garner enough trust, despite their play suggesting more trust is in order. Confused?

For those who have been here for the entirety of Jason Garrett’s tenure, this is nothing new. It takes a lot for him to set aside allegiances for the betterment of the team. And, in my opinion, he is often times too late with his adjustments. Point of fact, some of the best things that have happened to this team happened because Garrett had no other choice but to play the next man up. Demarco Murray did not start until injury required it. Dez Bryant did not start until injury required it. Austin Miles (when he was playing well, mind you) did not get an opportunity in lieu of Roy Williams until injury required it. I’m sure there are more examples, but those are a few that come to mind.

In the history of Jason Garrett as Offensive Coordinator and now Head Coach we have seen a litany of situations where the only reason we found a great player was because Jason was forced by injury to use that player; Dak Prescott being the latest example. Truth be told, Dak likely would still be sitting in place of Cooper this year, had both Kellen Moore and Tony Romo not been injured before 2016 got under way.

Take Kellen Moore still being on the final 53, just for instance. While Kellen in no shape, form or fashion deserves the blame (nor the credit) for what has happened in four games thus far this season, I do believe his current presence on the 53 highlights the trust issues I speak of. Kellen Moore has no business still being on this team or any NFL team for that matter. He absolutely cannot throw the ball 15 or more yards down the field without the benefit of a launch trajectory completing a half circle, which means the defense in many cases has plenty of time to adjust to the ball, regardless of the step on the defender the receiver had when the ball was launched. As a result, Kellen is quite simply an interception waiting to happen. Cooper Rush clearly outplayed him in preseason and yet Cooper has yet to grace the gameday 46, sitting at home on the couch in Kellen’s stead. Again, this is much ado about nothing, all things considered. But given the too safe route the Cowboys coaches are addressing that situation with, it should be no surprise that they are also playing it too safe with their in-game management, as well. Savvy?

When Jeff Heath is on the field during an obvious passing situation, many of us already know where the ball is going to go and beyond that also know that it is more than likely going to be successful. Heath gives the Cowboys absolutely nothing as a coverage Safety…nothing. Be it man or zone coverage, he is woefully inept in that capacity. As a Special Teamer, he is ideal. But on the field during any defensive snap, he is a liability.

Some might say, he has his purposes as a run-stopping in-the-box safety, which there is truth to; he absolutely can punish the ball carrier. The problem is by the very act of placing Heath on the field the Cowboys are showing the opposing offensive coordinator their hand; the Cowboys are expecting (and likely hoping for) a run, if not a short pass. After all, there is no hard and fast rule that teams have to run in obvious running situations…that is merely prevailing wisdom…unless, of course, Heath is in the lineup, then it’s just painting by the numbers where a little creativity outside of the typical lines is absolutely begged for, as was the case with Gurley’s touchdown from 53 yards out that sprinted right past Heath’s poor angle to the ball.

My last example of this coaching staff playing it safe is the last game of the 2016 season against the Commanders. After a few snaps, the Cowboy sat just about every starter, because they already had the #1 seed wrapped up and playing starters seemed a terrible risk for a meaningless game. At the time I understood the logic and halfway supported it, until I saw the way the players opened the game against the Packers. For those of you who have already forgotten what they looked like against the Packers in the first half of that playoff game, you need only look at the second half of this past Rams game. The Cowboys quite simply did not look like they belonged in that arena, much less as the #1 seed. Of course, I can’t prove it, but in hindsight, I think the Cowboys should have played game 16 like they were playing game #1. After all, playing any way but to win is ultimately practicing to lose.

I am not in favor of firing Jason Garrett; that is partially due to me not ignoring the positive he has brought to this franchise (which is extensive for those who have forgotten the hot mess Wade left) and partially for fear of who Jerry would bring in next (Jeff Fisher….seriously?). But, there is a fine line between coaching smart and coaching scared and I think Jason plays jump rope with that line quite a bit. I hate the assertion that suggest the Cowboys will never win a championship with Jason Garrett as a Head Coach, but unless there is a change in his (at times) overly-safe approach or they suffer the right combination of injuries to force Garrett’s hand, there very well may be truth to that statement.

Wrap It Up

I’m no expert. Most of the above is pure unadulterated conjecture based purely on televised observation of the actual games and the various tidbits I pick up from reading and watching the numerous talking heads/mediots on YouTube debate what’s eating Gilbert Grape. I soak up and absorb the information being spewed abroad like a sponge and regurgitate that here in my own eclectic and unique way. With that said, if you disagree, feel free to let me know.

Be ye fairly warned, though: There are certain beliefs I simply will not entertain and most likely will not deign fit to respond to:

3. Releasing Claiborne, Carr, Church, and/or Willcox this past offseason was a mistake.

Other than those three topic-bugaboos, everything is fair-game, including my observations above.

Thoughts?

1. I think Dak "COULD" be a Franchise QB but it's going to take several years. He needs work on accuracy & reading Defenses with people in his face... I think we still need to draft a QB in 1st 4 rounds next year regardless, noodle-moore should not be resigned and C-Rush is a gamble as the backup. Oh and we need a Real QB Coach... Wade does nothing and Romo said for years David Lee was the one that taught im everything.
  2. I dont think any RB is work 4th pick they are all too interchangeable but he was our 4th pick i think he will be fine... we have 4 more years to see if he can be a Top back and be exemplary off the field. Otherwise NO 2nd contract if it was me.
  3. I think letting Go Church and Carr was a mistake, but they were going to want too much money on there last contracts. Claiborne is an injury away from sitting the year and Wilcox was traded after signing his contract.
I think we need to stop the ZONE defense we clearly play a better man coverage backend with Safety's over top and mixing in extra safeties as LB's on Coverage downs. Is rod going to get that creative... IDK

jday

Reaction score
  1. I think Dak "COULD" be a Franchise QB but it's going to take several years. He needs work on accuracy & reading Defenses with people in his face... I think we still need to draft a QB in 1st 4 rounds next year regardless, noodle-moore should not be resigned and C-Rush is a gamble as the backup. Oh and we need a Real QB Coach... Wade does nothing and Romo said for years David Lee was the one that taught im everything.
  2. I dont think any RB is work 4th pick they are all too interchangeable but he was our 4th pick i think he will be fine... we have 4 more years to see if he can be a Top back and be exemplary off the field. Otherwise NO 2nd contract if it was me.
  3. I think letting Go Church and Carr was a mistake, but they were going to want too much money on there last contracts. Claiborne is an injury away from sitting the year and Wilcox was traded after signing his contract.
I think we need to stop the ZONE defense we clearly play a better man coverage backend with Safety's over top and mixing in extra safeties as LB's on Coverage downs. Is rod going to get that creative... IDK
I said I wouldn't reply, but you made a respectful enough rejoinder that I can't help myself.

I think when you say franchise QB, you mean something different from me. The best way I can explain it is the difference between a Priest and a Preacher. You say Dak can become a franchise QB; I think he already is...kinda like a Priest becomes a Priest through seminary whereas a Preacher just is.

We haven't seen Zeke at his best this year; that is clear. But he is a generational talent that you absolutely use a fourth overall pick on. Whether it is due to the off the field stuff or not, I really don't know. But Zeke will prove his value again before 2017 ends, I believe that wholeheartedly.

Einstein said it best: Insanity: Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The Cowboys for years now have been saying they want to generate more turnovers, and for years now have been using the same players to try and do just that. Carr and Claiborne were man corners, but struggled in zone coverage. Church was a good player overall, but a liability in coverage. In today's pass-happy NFL, a liability in any coverage is a huge disadvantage.

When people say they want to do more zone, they aren't necessarily saying that the Cowboys want to do zone and zone alone. If you do that, good to great quarterbacks will pick you apart. What the Cowboys want to have the flexibility to do is both with any alignment they throw out there. That way when teams use the no-huddle and/or check to completely different alignments presnap, the Cowboys have the ability to match up regardless of what the opposing offense wants to do. Consider the Cardinals game, for example. In that first quarter, the Cardinals moved the ball at will against mostly zone coverage. When the Cowboys moved to the 3-2-6, they were doing combinations of zone and man, and varied the looks from snap to snap, which is why is was so successful. The Cowboys were unable to do that against the Rams, because the presence of Gurley discouraged that particular lineup. However, you can bet we will see again against the Packers, whose run game is not on the Rams level.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I hate @jday for making me read lol

But seriously bro good stuff. I usually disagree with points you make but it’s impressive how much you write.

Not much else to say have a good one :)
Maybe this old boy will try to make money off of his astounding efforts for no pay one day...

Nah... He'll huddle in his relative obscurity and write to us Cowboys fans at length, wasting his talents.

Sigh...

RS12

Reaction score

The jury is out on 1 and 2. You are 100% correct on three. Those are three over paid, non difference making, stiffs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I really can't. Context would be lost in a summary. However, what you could do is just read the first section than back out of the thread. Click on the thread entitled Kibbles & Tidbits IV and read the second section, once again backing out of thread once your are finished. Then click on the thread entitled Kibbles & Tidbits IV and read the third section. So on and so forth. That way, you didn't read one long thread, but only took time to read three small threads.

Well it did take me a few times to come back to the thread. Only because I got a phone call though that I was expecting. :laugh:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Great read @jday.

I agree about Elliot’s speed among other things. Maybe he’ll get in shape. I can’t help but think this case has weighed heavily on him and I hope it’s doesn’t ruin our season which is exactly what that ***** Friel wanted. At least her team sucks.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Thanks Jday,,, I'm taking our team one week at a time,your 'take' and insightful observations are always well worth the time it takes to read:thumbup:

(,,,er,,,it was the Eagles that JC laid down against in the final game not the Commanders,,, doh',,:lmao:
And maybe trying to have retained a Church or Willcox of the departing defensive backfield, and this ELLIOTT suspension looming, is a huge part
[ read: black cloud of doubtful indecision and ineptitude] in the cohesive casing-liner that's our current offensive strike package, or maybe since the #9 guy ain't around anymore,as just his mere presence was enough to motivate the underling's into proper focus,,, hell! your thoughts are as worthy of consideration as some of the better informed members here:))

Last edited:

jday

Reaction score
Thanks Jday,,, I'm taking our team one week at a time,your 'take' and insightful observations are always well worth the time it takes to read:thumbup:

(,,,er,,,it was the Eagles that JC laid down against in the final game not the Commanders,,, doh',,:lmao:
And maybe trying to have retained a Church or Willcox of the departing defensive backfield, and this ELLIOTT suspension looming, is a huge part
[ read: black cloud of doubtful indecision and ineptitude] in the cohesive casing-liner that's our current offensive strike package, or maybe since the #9 guy ain't around anymore,as just his mere presence was enough to motivate the underlinings into proper focus,,, hell! your thoughts are as worthy of consideration as some of the better informed members here:))
Thanks for taking the time to read and the kudos! :thumbup:

I always forget who we lost to in that last game so I looked up the schedule of 2016 and realized now that it was showing me the last game of the 2015 season. Doh indeed!

I said in the offseason it might take time for this defense to gel; that was before I knew so many of the rookies would miss time due to injury. Add to that the loss of Lee last week and David Irving to date, and if we are being honest, the struggles thus far shouldn't be all that surprising.

The offense overall lack of potency honestly has been surprising, but I do think much of that has to do with the lack of consistency up front. That said, Dak and Zeke are not blameless. Dak has made some poor decisions, such as throwing short of the sticks on a crucial fourth down to end last weeks game. Zeke doesn't seem as explosive or decisive with his running.

They are at .500 now, so still way too early to panic, but based on what we have seen so far, they are the 3rd best team in the NFCE.

jday

Reaction score
Great read @jday.

I agree about Elliot’s speed among other things. Maybe he’ll get in shape. I can’t help but think this case has weighed heavily on him and I hope it’s doesn’t ruin our season which is exactly what that ***** Friel wanted. At least her team sucks.
Thanks for reading and the kudos! :thumbup:

Yeah, Zeke seems a shell of his former self. I think he'll improve as the season progresses.

The silver lining is absolutely the 0 & 4 Giants.:laugh::lmao2::lmao:

jday

Reaction score
The jury is out on 1 and 2. You are 100% correct on three. Those are three over paid, non difference making, stiffs.
Fair to say of 2, but 1 I'm not bending on.

I think Zeke will get his groove back before season end. Just hope it's not too late to make a difference. :thumbup:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I learned to drive a car with a standard transmission. I remember, vividly, shifting too soon and the car lurching and lugging down the road. It was still moving forward, but it just wasn't efficient or effective. That's what comes to mind when I see the Cowboy offense this season - it is just not right.

It all starts upfront for me - I have been shocked at how poorly the OL has played as a unit. It is way beyond saying Leary is better than Green or Cooper. For heaven's sake, the LG is playing between two perennial All Pros. As a group they just seem out of rhythm.

In four games, 2017 Zeke has looked like 2016 Zeke in the first half of the Rams game. It is probably a combination of his legal battles, the OL and, perhaps, not being fully in football shape.

I would like to think both of these - the OL and Zeke - will hit their stride as the season moves on. Let's hope it is sooner rather than later.

jday

Reaction score
I learned to drive a car with a standard transmission. I remember, vividly, shifting too soon and the car lurching and lugging down the road. It was still moving forward, but it just wasn't efficient or effective. That's what comes to mind when I see the Cowboy offense this season - it is just not right.

It all starts upfront for me - I have been shocked at how poorly the OL has played as a unit. It is way beyond saying Leary is better than Green or Cooper. For heaven's sake, the LG is playing between two perennial All Pros. As a group they just seem out of rhythm.

In four games, 2017 Zeke has looked like 2016 Zeke in the first half of the Rams game. It is probably a combination of his legal battles, the OL and, perhaps, not being fully in football shape.

I would like to think both of these - the OL and Zeke - will hit their stride as the season moves on. Let's hope it is sooner rather than later.
Great analogy! We saw shades of 2016 in the first half only to see it disappear in the second half. Not exactly sure what happened, but I suspect it was a combination of adjustments the Rams made and the Cowboys taking their foot off the gas. It's good to have a QB that protects the ball, but sometimes Dak does so to a fault, opting to take the underneath completions leading to a three and out. Not all 3 and outs are created equal but 3 in a row puts alot of pressure on a defense, particularly when trying to close out a game. That loss, in my opinion, ultimately came down to several missed opportunities. Had the Cowboys taken advantage of even one, the results may have been different.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Hit the nail on the head with the Chapter on Trust Issues.

The offensive line seems to have started slow each season, making us wonder/question if they were the great wall of Dallas only to emerge as the physical smash mouth line that can open highway lanes and give the QB enough time to get through his reads. This year, some new faces, at positions, show up. Add in Smith dealing with his chronic back issue, it does once again make us ponder how well they can perform. Talent is there, but can gel and work as one as they did so in the past?