Kid Losman has plenty of moves

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Kid Losman has plenty of moves

Scott Pitoniak

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...ID=/20050821/SPORTS0102/508210337/1007/SPORTS

(August 21, 2005) — ORCHARD PARK — On the Buffalo Bills first possession midway through the opening quarter, J.P. Losman faked a handoff up the middle and rolled to his right. For a fleeting moment, Mark Campbell was open in the back of the end zone, but Losman failed to recognize his tight end quickly enough to pull the trigger.

With that opportunity squandered, the second-year quarterback shifted into high gear. Green Bay Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman never had a chance as Losman blew by him and into the end zone.

The majority of the 71,323 spectators at the muggy, sold-out Ralph roared their approval.

After watching the lead-footed Drew Bledsoe enable opponents to experience the joy of sacks the past three seasons, it was fun seeing a Bills quarterback who wasn't a sitting duck in the pocket. It was fun watching a young man on the move.

All in all, it was a good night for Losman in his home debut as the Bills starting quarterback. He completed seven of 14 passes for 59 yards and rushed five times for 36 yards as the Bills scored two touchdowns and a field goal during his four-series work shift. Losman's stats would have been even more impressive if an open Josh Reed hadn't dropped a catchable pass in the end zone.

Not since the days of another Bills No. 7 — Doug Flutie — had we seen a QB this mobile.

Saturday night's 27-7 victory underscored that the contrast in speed between Losman and the man he supplanted is as stark as the difference between an avalanche and a glacier.

Losman's fast feet could be a necessity behind an offensive line that isn't exactly the Great Wall of China. Mike Gandy and Bennie Anderson may be mountainous on the left side, but there are questions whether they are going to be nimble enough to protect Losman's blind side against speed rushers.

So, there will be times when the young quarterback will have to scramble out of trouble and make something out of nothing. He showed the ability to do that several times against the Packers as he helped the Bills convert six of eight third downs to keep drives alive in the first half.

"He looked really good," said Bills running back Willis McGahee. "That guy may be stealing our blocks. Keep watching him. He is an exciting player who can make a lot happen. You don't know what he will do at any point of the game."

Of course, unpredictability can lead to bad plays, too.

During his second series, Losman backpedaled in an attempt to avoid unblocked Packers' defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and was dropped in the end zone for a safety. Fortunately for Losman, the play was nullified by a penalty, and the quarterback took advantage of the mulligan, guiding the Bills downfield to set up Rian Lindell's 41-yard field goal. The way he kept his cool and bounced back from his potentially costly error was impressive.

With just five regular-season NFL passing attempts under his belt, Losman realizes he has much to learn. He understands that in order to succeed, he will need to become as fleet of mind as he is of foot. That will take time.

Losman will need to become more consistent with his throws — the pass he floated in the second quarter resulted in Eric Moulds taking a shot to the ribs that forced the receiver to the sidelines.

He will need to recognize open receivers a split-second quicker. Drilling a spiral to Campbell would have been a better option than running the ball himself on that touchdown play in the first quarter.

But perhaps the most important thing he must learn is the difference between being aggressive and being reckless. He suffered a broken leg on a running play in training camp last year, and he could get hurt again if he continues to absorb the kind of punishment he did Saturday night.

"When I'm running, I'm running for my life," Losman said. "Somebody can come and blindside you. I'm not thinking about getting down and not getting injured; I'm thinking about getting the first down. But that's what has to get in my head — get the first down, then get down."

It's all part of the educational process. He learned a few more lessons against the Packers.

On Kids' Night at the Ralph, the Kid Quarterback wound up doing just fine.