Kinda Off Topic old OU game

heavyg

Reaction score
Ol Aikman could sure move when he was younger. Don't remember him being that mobile or fast.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
"1985
Aikman breaks his ankle in the fourth game of his sophomore season at OU. Jamelle Holieway takes over at quarterback and leads Oklahoma to the national championship. "

Thats part of why he wasnt that mobile for us.

Shaun

Reaction score
From the highlights in that clip, one would think the score would be a whole lot worse than 14-7.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
when he first came into the nfl he wasn't all that stiff but calf and back injuries sorta made him rather stiff his last 5 years or so

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Muhast said:
"

Thats part of why he wasnt that mobile for us.

actually he was extremely mobile when he came into the league...he ran for over 300 yds as a rookie and only played in 11 games...factored over a 16 game season he might have had close to 500 yds rushing...

also go back and look at the postseason in 1992...Aikman had a few big plays scrmabling then...his mobility started going downhill the following season when he badly pulled his hamstring scrmabling against NYG...he then suffered a number of knee, lower leg and back injuries the following yrs...

but he was quite mobile and agile when he came into the league

David

NickZepp

Reaction score
He was pretty mobile for a drop back QB. By the end of his career the OLine was so bad it didn't matter if we had Mike Vick back there the QB wasn't gonna have a ton of success.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree that injuries limited Aikmans mobility twords the end of his career but really, the thing that limited his mobility most was the scheme. There's a reason we brought Norv Turner to Dallas.

1. I think the franchise recognized that Aikmans willingness to take punishment would eventually catch up to him.

2. Aikman's arm strenght and accuracy, combined with Irvin's ability to catch, use his body and over all competativeness really fit Norv's timing offense.

In that offense, the drops are precise. They are bang-bang type executions. You want your drops, your routes and your deliveries to be very quick with little waisted motion. That offense does not allow for QBs to move in the pocket very well. Because everything is prediciated off everybody being at exactly the right place at the right time, the ball coming out at the right time and on target, you don't get a great deal of deviation in drops. You don't see a lot of roll outs.

The QB stands in the pocket, ideally, and throws to a point in the face of pressure. You don't avoid the pressure and try to make things happen off the scramble. Rather, you beat the blitz or pressure with timing. That's why Aikman was so difficult to sack. The ball was always designed to be gone before the pressure could get there.

Very few seven step drops or long developing plays. Lots of 3 and 5 sets in the passing game. Lineman needed to be big and strong rather then quick and agile. Reason being, you design protection to last only x seconds. Theoretically, the ball is gone in x seconds so anything else is wasted movement. You want the defense to have to run around the blocks rather then threw them. The QB would not be scrambling so mobility was not a premium. Strength to disrupt the initial path to the QB and the ability to move anybody, regardless of size or speed, a certain amount was key in the passing game.

The offense, IMO, was the real limiting factor in why Aikman was not very mobile.

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
Wow. Aikman looked like he had 4.5 speed. And when he threw you could see that characteristic laser. What a talent.

And that OU defense was nasty.

ghst187

Reaction score
wow, no kidding about the score being so close despite the lopsided highlights...

I forgot what a freaking animal Bosworth was in college. He once called my cousin for a date, she said "no."

OU threw some passes with Aikman?!? I don't remember OU throwing more than 2 passes an entire game back in the wishbone days.
Sure do miss the OU-Nebraska wishbone on Txgiving weekend rivalry.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
wow, no kidding about the score being so close despite the lopsided highlights...

I forgot what a freaking animal Bosworth was in college. He once called my cousin for a date, she said "no."

OU threw some passes with Aikman?!? I don't remember OU throwing more than 2 passes an entire game back in the wishbone days.
Sure do miss the OU-Nebraska wishbone on Txgiving weekend rivalry.

LOL!!!

Your welcome to pull up a chair for the UT/A&M tilt over ta College Station.

burmafrd

Reaction score
People forget that Bosworth was a top player- it was the shoulder injuries that ended his career. Of course he was a roid demon- but still he made some plays. Then he made some really bad movies- have no idea what he is doing now.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Boz is selling real estate in California. His twin nephews are going to UCLA and will be freshmen this fall. Both LBs I believe.

Ironic because he really did some smack talking to UCLA in 86 I believe.