Twitter: Kiper draft grades

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I like most of the picks. The last two in the 3rd are worthy of debate.

we had huge problems last year with the defense...and the OL.

ignoring the OL, and passing on Slater, doesn’t seem wise.

none of our backups are 1’s. Slater is a 1.

Agree that Wright is a real headscratcher.

Slater undoubtedly improves the O-Line, however we just couldn't afford to make a R1 pick on a 'What If" injury or an improvement on LG over average/decent combo of Williams/McGovern when we have so many holes in defense.

I see Defense as schemes and strategies on stopping the run/pass and how we pass-rush or cover as a unit. What Parsons gives us is a x-factor LB that improves run defense and line up in different schemes to pass rush....the whole draft appears to give us much greater flexibility along the line and LB (at last we've got a cover LB in Cox).

I'm afraid the Offense will have to go to war with what they've got, they already have a handful of missiles we just needed to give the Defense more than a sword the defend ourselves against Offensive nukes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the rest of the league...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/...s-sleepers-favorite-2021-classes-all-32-teams

Dallas Cowboys: B

Top needs: CB, DL, OL, TE

1/12 Micah Parsons ILB Penn State
2/44 Kelvin Joseph CB Kentucky
3/75 Osa Odighizuwa DT UCLA
3/84 Chauncey Golston DE Iowa
3/99 Nahshon Wright CB Oregon State
4/115 Jabril Cox ILB LSU
4/138 Josh Ball OT Marshall
5/179 Simi Fehoko WR Stanford
6/192 Quinton Bohanna DT Kentucky
6/227 Israel Mukuamu CB South Carolina
7/238 Matt Farniok G Nebraska

The Dallas defense was awful last season, even before Dak Prescott was lost for the year in Week 5. This couldn't be another CeeDee Lamb situation, where they went with an offensive playmaker even with massive holes on the other side of the ball. They had to get the best defender on the board with their pick, ideally a cornerback. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, though, the top two corners went in the two picks before them at No. 10, so give them credit for trading back two spots, adding an extra third-rounder and still getting the guy they say they wanted all along.

The questions now are ... where does Micah Parsons (12) fit, and what does it mean for 2018 first-round pick Leighton Vander Esch and 2016 second-rounder Jaylon Smith? I didn't peg off-ball linebacker as a need for Dallas, but the organization didn't draft Parsons to sit on the bench. So maybe it will move on from Vander Esch and plant Parsons at middle linebacker. He'll improve a porous run defense; the Cowboys allowed a woeful 1,758 rushing yards before first contact last season, by far the most in the league. With Rashawn Slater still available, I thought he would have filled a need at guard. (They added to the off-ball linebacker group on Day 3 with Jabril Cox (115), who has some coverage traits.)

The Cowboys continued their attempt to improve the defense on Day 2 and ended up using all five of their first picks on defenders. Cornerback Kelvin Joseph (44) has lock-down traits, and the team will hope that he can make the same sort of impact that second-rounder Trevon Diggs did a year ago. Defensive linemen Osa Odighizuwa (75) and Chauncey Golston (84) were lower on my board, but they'll help against the run.

I had a late-Day 3 grade on Nahshon Wright (99), but he's a big 6-foot-3 corner who fits the mold of what new coordinator Dan Quinn likes outside. He's quite confident in his skills, but I didn't see an NFL starter on tape. Israel Mukuamu (227) is another rangy corner, as Dallas showed its commitment to finding guys for Quinn. Simi Fehoko (179) has some speed for a 6-foot-4 wideout, though this team's receiver room is crowded.

In total, the Cowboys added eight defenders in this class, though they reached for a couple of them. If Quinn's corner picks work out, though, they could have a couple of steals.

-

Giants: B+
Eagles: B+
Commanders: B

I gave you a "like" to add to your collection. Because you actually posted information and not just the link like so many others do. :laugh:

I am surprised he gave us a B. Not that I disagree that it should be higher or lower. Because ESPN usually dogs us no matter what. Must be Mel can think better with less hair. :muttley:

I am still trying to digest everything as to if we did well after the 1st 2 picks or not. I like a few of the picks, and not sure on the others yet.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
How does Kiper give grades?
Not a single one of them has played a single snap yet,

By the looks of his 'premium' mock drafts, he deserves a legit 'F' for being so wrong. And to think people actually spend their hard earned money to read something similar to the National Enquirer.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I care.

I'm not interested in getting the best players. I'm interested in getting the players that will make this team the best.

With that said, getting good players only matter if the coaches know how to utilize them, teach them their system, and prepare them so they will succeed when they play.

The real grades come at the end of the season in the form of a regular season record and level of success in the playoffs.

The draft gets an "A" if the Cowboys go deep in the playoffs this season.
Let's admit with this draft Dak and the offense has more pressure than ever to keep the defense on the bench. Dak remains our best defensive player. No surprise there.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
This is why you take with a grain of salt what media draft wannabes say. He didn’t peg linebacker as a need on this team. That tells me he didn’t watch many Cowboy games last year or he would have seen poor play from Smith and LVE. Add in the fact Lee retired and LVE’s injury history would tell any idiot that linebacker was a big need. As soon as he said linebacker wasn’t a need, he lost me.

lwehlers

Reaction score
Me too, bro.

Having the architect of those Falcon defenses here rebuilding our own excites me.
i cannot wait to see the dumpster fire defense quinn fields this year. i hope this year the oline stays healthy and prescott can score atleast 35 points a game we are going to need it. 8-9 to 9-8 this year with this team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I would really like to see all these draft "gurus" grades over time. I mean, Kiper has these picks, who do they actually turn out a few years later ?

The drafts grades are made in isolation (and is mostly a judgement against BPA). There's little valid analysis as they don't know (in our case) what systems and type of players we wanted.

I wonder if they pinpoint reaches and odd picks (Wright) and downgrade on that.

When you're in a team with holes throughout the roster on one side of the ball you can't criticize until the DC artist has started painting.

MiddleStar

Reaction score
We don't need any Oline help, other than at Tackle. I'm not sold on this Josh Ball kid at O-Tackle, much less with a costly 4th round pick, but I hope he can develop well enough and soon to come in and cover for either Tyron Smith or La'el Collins in case either one goes down with an injury once again. Our Guards positions already have decently good backups. The greater concern is at Center. I hope Looney agrees to come back at Center since he did well there last season but is currently an unsigned free agent.

By the way, I give the Cowboys draft grade a C+ which can improve depending on how some of these obviously overreached draft picks pan out.

This is spot on. The experts that really took time to know what we needed on the OL would have seen that what we needed was a viable option at LT when Smith can't go. G wasn't an issue as much as needing a backup C or someone to push Biadacz.

Havic

Reaction score
Really the only criticisms that are valid is reaching for talent that would have more than likely been available in later rounds. Lets see how these players perform in camp.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting a B grade with all the pics the Cowboys had means they added a lot of talent. Will push the talent to put up or move out. Definitely got a couple of steals.

Not really. Kiper has softened up. He gave 22 of the 32 teams a grade of B or better. So, that hardly separates us from the pack. Yes we addressed our needs and added talent...............and so did most every other team.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These grades are based on name recognition and college careers.
The real grading comes in three years.

Nope. He grades based on draft value and addressing team needs. If you take a player in round 3 that he had graded as a 6th rounder, he marks you down. If you land a player in round 4 that he had in round 2, you get a better grade. If your teams defense sucked and you don't land a starting defensive player, he marks you down. ect

The 20/20 hindsight re-draft in 3 years is obviously more accurate.

CWR

Reaction score
For the rest of the league...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/...s-sleepers-favorite-2021-classes-all-32-teams

Dallas Cowboys: B

Top needs: CB, DL, OL, TE

1/12 Micah Parsons ILB Penn State
2/44 Kelvin Joseph CB Kentucky
3/75 Osa Odighizuwa DT UCLA
3/84 Chauncey Golston DE Iowa
3/99 Nahshon Wright CB Oregon State
4/115 Jabril Cox ILB LSU
4/138 Josh Ball OT Marshall
5/179 Simi Fehoko WR Stanford
6/192 Quinton Bohanna DT Kentucky
6/227 Israel Mukuamu CB South Carolina
7/238 Matt Farniok G Nebraska

The Dallas defense was awful last season, even before Dak Prescott was lost for the year in Week 5. This couldn't be another CeeDee Lamb situation, where they went with an offensive playmaker even with massive holes on the other side of the ball. They had to get the best defender on the board with their pick, ideally a cornerback. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, though, the top two corners went in the two picks before them at No. 10, so give them credit for trading back two spots, adding an extra third-rounder and still getting the guy they say they wanted all along.

The questions now are ... where does Micah Parsons (12) fit, and what does it mean for 2018 first-round pick Leighton Vander Esch and 2016 second-rounder Jaylon Smith? I didn't peg off-ball linebacker as a need for Dallas, but the organization didn't draft Parsons to sit on the bench. So maybe it will move on from Vander Esch and plant Parsons at middle linebacker. He'll improve a porous run defense; the Cowboys allowed a woeful 1,758 rushing yards before first contact last season, by far the most in the league. With Rashawn Slater still available, I thought he would have filled a need at guard. (They added to the off-ball linebacker group on Day 3 with Jabril Cox (115), who has some coverage traits.)

The Cowboys continued their attempt to improve the defense on Day 2 and ended up using all five of their first picks on defenders. Cornerback Kelvin Joseph (44) has lock-down traits, and the team will hope that he can make the same sort of impact that second-rounder Trevon Diggs did a year ago. Defensive linemen Osa Odighizuwa (75) and Chauncey Golston (84) were lower on my board, but they'll help against the run.

I had a late-Day 3 grade on Nahshon Wright (99), but he's a big 6-foot-3 corner who fits the mold of what new coordinator Dan Quinn likes outside. He's quite confident in his skills, but I didn't see an NFL starter on tape. Israel Mukuamu (227) is another rangy corner, as Dallas showed its commitment to finding guys for Quinn. Simi Fehoko (179) has some speed for a 6-foot-4 wideout, though this team's receiver room is crowded.

In total, the Cowboys added eight defenders in this class, though they reached for a couple of them. If Quinn's corner picks work out, though, they could have a couple of steals.

-

Giants: B+
Eagles: B+
Commanders: B

If you didn't peg LB as a need for Dallas then you aren't paying attention. It appears the "expert" was only looking at stats.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
How many starters? Over their careers, I mean.

Parsons is a starter. Joseph should be. Osa Odighiwhatever could be a starter but not a good one. Same with Bohanna. Cox might. I have no use for those corners on stilts.

I'll go conservative and say 2 with the possibility of 1 more true starter.
Corners on stilts lol

CWR

Reaction score
You have no damn clue who will be starters, 2nd teasers or busts so quit acting like you do. Just let it play out and then you can come back and say, “see I told you Parsons was not a starter”.

He also compared Wentz to Brady and said Dak isn't more than a back up, so yeah.