Kiper Mock 1.0 1/18/18

Hardline

Reaction score
Davenport moving up is frustrating. It happens every year. I think I know something scouts don't know and all of a sudden my pick is out of reach.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's what M Kiddy has to say about Allen at 1....

Cleveland has to take a quarterback. Has to. And a winless season means the Browns can pick whichever one they want. My evaluations on this quarterback class are really close. I've gone back and forth a few times on Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold and Allen, but I just moved Allen up to my No. 1 quarterback. His numbers aren't impressive, I know. But the NFL is all about projection, and he has a high ceiling. Coaches want to work with the 6-foot-5 Allen because he has all of the tools. I said last month that he is one of my favorite prospects in this class. The other top quarterbacks have warts, and there is no slam-dunk No. 1 prospect, which makes it a fun class. Scouts are looking forward to seeing Allen at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, next week, where he will work out with much better talent.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Davenport moving up is frustrating. It happens every year. I think I know something scouts don't know and all of a sudden my pick is out of reach.
He might end up being the Aaron Donald of this year's draft.

Nobody says much early in the process, but give it a few weeks and especially the Sr. Bowl practices.

Then he becomes errbody's sweetheart. But that point, he is already out of Dallas' reach.

But that won't keep people from thinking they could still "steal him in the second round".

Alexander

Reaction score
Here's what M Kiddy has to say about Allen at 1....

Cleveland has to take a quarterback. Has to. And a winless season means the Browns can pick whichever one they want. My evaluations on this quarterback class are really close. I've gone back and forth a few times on Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold and Allen, but I just moved Allen up to my No. 1 quarterback. His numbers aren't impressive, I know. But the NFL is all about projection, and he has a high ceiling. Coaches want to work with the 6-foot-5 Allen because he has all of the tools. I said last month that he is one of my favorite prospects in this class. The other top quarterbacks have warts, and there is no slam-dunk No. 1 prospect, which makes it a fun class. Scouts are looking forward to seeing Allen at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, next week, where he will work out with much better talent.
Love His Royal Hairness, but I think he is way off the mark if he has studied all three intently.

I can't see how a college QB that had a consistent 56% completion rate over his college career acceptable for the first round. That is not a wart. It is a huge red flag when you look at other college QBs with similar college production. The rule of thumb is 60% and it stands the test.

You can also apply the Bill Parcells Commandments for drafting a QB:

1. He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
  2. He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
  3. He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.
  4. He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.
I think Kiper is getting more intel from teams that are using Allen as a distraction from the QB they may really want.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
More Josh Allen hype. I just don't understand it.

I can't believe anyone who has watched him play can say he is even a sure fire 1st round QB, let alone the top pick overall.
I don't like Allen either but comparing Wentz winning at NDSU where they were national champs before and after him to Allen sucking against legit D1 schools isn't really fair.

Wyoming was 8-5 in the Mountain West and made a bowl game.

Allen has everything but performance. He's the prototype body. He just hasn't performed well enough so someone will get a guy you gotta coach up and teach to play the position at a high level.
You'd like to think that doesnt cost you an R1 but QBs are so valuable.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vita MIGHT be the exception for us.
I think he is good enough to Play the 3 when we want him too and he might be good enough to be a disruptive force in the backfield even at the 1 spot.

Normally I am gung ho that we would not take a 1 in the first because of Rod but the more I watch and read with Vita I think he truly could be the rare exception to the rule.

AND...if he did fall to our area, I doubt any teams would try to jump us to get him thinking we would pass.

Alexander

Reaction score
I don't like Allen either but comparing Wentz winning at NDSU where they were national champs before and after him to Allen sucking against legit D1 schools isn't really fair.

Wyoming was 8-5 in the Mountain West and made a bowl game.

Allen has everything but performance. He's the prototype body. He just hasn't performed well enough so someone will get a guy you gotta coach up and teach to play the position at a high level.
You'd like to think that doesnt cost you an R1 but QBs are so valuable.
Then put him as one of those QBs that someone trades up into the first to get that fifth year.

He is nowhere close to where Wentz was as a prospect. Allen's best games as a collegiate came against the likes of Gardner-Webb. He had two 300 yard performances in three years. I don't know how you can sell him as being directly responsible for Wyoming winning the Mountain West when he missed the last 2 1/2 games and stunk it up in losses to Iowa, Oregon and Boise State.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then put him as one of those QBs that someone trades up into the first to get that fifth year.

He is nowhere close to where Wentz was as a prospect. Allen's best games as a collegiate came against the likes of Gardner-Webb. He had two 300 yard performances in three years. I don't know how you can sell him as being directly responsible for Wyoming winning the Mountain West when he missed the last 2 1/2 games and stunk it up in losses to Iowa, Oregon and Boise State.

I agree with you on his performance. He's very raw and more projection than anything but it's QB. Teams are starving for them and his upside probably is higher than any other QB this year.

I think Kiper is saying there isn't another QB in this class that really is a true #1 pick so why not the guy with the biggest set of tools to work with?

But it's way early and his final mock could easily have a different player there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vita MIGHT be the exception for us.
I think he is good enough to Play the 3 when we want him too and he might be good enough to be a disruptive force in the backfield even at the 1 spot.

Normally I am gung ho that we would not take a 1 in the first because of Rod but the more I watch and read with Vita I think he truly could be the rare exception to the rule.

AND...if he did fall to our area, I doubt any teams would try to jump us to get him thinking we would pass.
I don't think he will be the target Based on the DL article in here a couple of weeks ago. But he seems like a good fit to me. I'd love to be a fly on the draft room wall as our pick gets closer.

Alexander

Reaction score
I'd love to be a fly on the draft room wall as our pick gets closer.

Stephen Jones after the draft:

“Unless a guy can be your 3 technique or a pass rush end, Rod doesn’t believe you should take him in the first round. He believes you can find noses in the middle of the draft or late in the draft. We believe Vea was a nose, a damn good nose but a nose.”

ORIkbpl.gif

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
While I know Kiper knows nothing about teams intentions now, I find it interesting Seahawks takin James in this mock. Could a particular Seahawks safety who wants the cowboys to “come get him” be on the market this offseason?

rkell87

Reaction score
We'd be sitting pretty with top options within reach at 16; at 19 we have to hope the perfect player falls to us. Smh

the_h0wey

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/i...l-kiper-first-round-pick-rankings-draft-order

An asterisk denotes a prospect who is an underclassmen, and I have 24 of them here, which means there are only eight seniors. The position split for the first round here is 15 on offense and 17 on defense.

1. Cleveland Browns - *Josh Allen QB Wyoming
2. New York Giants - *Josh Rosen QB UCLA
3. Indianapolis Colts - Bradley Chubb DE North Carolina St.
4. Cleveland Browns (Houston) - *Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.
5. Denver Broncos - *Sam Darnold QB USC
6. New York Jets - *Minkah Fitzpatrick CB Alabama
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - *Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame
8. Chicago Bears - *Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
9. San Francisco 49ers - *Denzel Ward CB Ohio St.
10. Oakland Raiders - *Roquan Smith ILB Georgia
11. Miami Dolphins - Mike McGlinchey T Notre Dame
12. Cincinnati Bengals - *Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech
13. Washington Commanders - Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
14. Green Bay Packers - Marcus Davenport DE UT San Antonio
15. Arizona Cardinals - *Josh Jackson CB Iowa
16. Baltimore Ravens - *Brian O'Neill T Pittsburgh
17. Los Angeles Chargers - *Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama
18. Seattle Seahawks - *Derwin James S Florida St.

19. Dallas Cowboys - *Vita Vea DT Washington
The Cowboys took a step backward in 2017, and it was a regression across the board. Receiver could be a target here, along with offensive tackle. But what's tough to find on the free-agent market is a disruptive defensive tackle, which Dallas just didn't have. Vea is a freakish talent at 6-4, 346 pounds who can be a three-down player and add an interior pass-rush presence.

20. Detroit Lions - *Sam Hubbard DE Ohio St.
21. Buffalo Bills - *Mike Hughes CB Central Florida
22. Buffalo Bills (Kansas City) - Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
23. Los Angeles Rams - *Carlton Davis CB Auburn
24. Carolina Panthers - Billy Price C/G Ohio St.
25. Tennessee Titans - Harold Landry OLB Boston College
26. Atlanta Falcons - *Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M
27. New Orleans Saints - *Courtland Sutton WR SMU
28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Rashaan Evans ILB Alabama
29. Jacksonville Jaguars - *Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma
30. Philadelphia Eagles - *Kolton Miller T UCLA
31. Minnesota Vikings - *Connor Williams T Texas
32. New England Patriots - *Rasheem Green DE USC

I would be more than okay with picking Vea

cnuball21

Reaction score
Stephen Jones after the draft:

“Unless a guy can be your 3 technique or a pass rush end, Rod doesn’t believe you should take him in the first round. He believes you can find noses in the middle of the draft or late in the draft. We believe Vea was a nose, a damn good nose but a nose.”

ORIkbpl.gif

This might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard...geez. How have those mid/late rounds DT's been working out for us?

marius

Reaction score
Im ok with this pick, this team need a freakish players on the defense, and Vita vea its one of them.

Last edited: