Kiper now thinking Cowboys at 18...

J-DOG

Reaction score
Mel Kiper Jr. is now thinking of moving off of Jason Allen at 18 and putting Manny Lawson in that spot.
He was also interviewing someone on the radio today and asked him who was the most overrated player and underrated player in this draft.
The guy said Ngata was the most overrated and that Manny Lawson was the most underrated.
Kiper's most underrated/sleeper-Antonio Cromartie.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
I really really like Cromartie....I think a team is going to surprise and take him top 12-15....

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Not to beat up on Lawson, just passing on some info I heard on SIRIUS, on one of the shows this afternoon one of the guys said that in speaking with "one of his sources" which is supposed to be an nfl coach, he was told that this particular teams evaluation of Lawson was that he was very slender in the legs, so lacking the lower body strength they felt he would have a tough time in the NFL being a 3-4 OLB because he would lack the lower body strength to take on blockers.
This was the same stuff I read about Shante Carver, sadly, AFTER we wasted a pick on him.
Like I said though, just passing info I heard on, I still would like to trade down a bit, get our fourth back and get Carpenter but Lawson and Wimbely excite me as well.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
Not to beat up on Lawson, just passing on some info I heard on SIRIUS, on one of the shows this afternoon one of the guys said that in speaking with "one of his sources" which is supposed to be an nfl coach, he was told that this particular teams evaluation of Lawson was that he was very slender in the legs, so lacking the lower body strength they felt he would have a tough time in the NFL being a 3-4 OLB because he would lack the lower body strength to take on blockers.
This was the same stuff I read about Shante Carver, sadly, AFTER we wasted a pick on him.
Like I said though, just passing info I heard on, I still would like to trade down a bit, get our fourth back and get Carpenter but Lawson and Wimbely excite me as well.
That's a good point actually. His lower legs are rail thin. His upper legs however are just fine.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score

That's why I want Dallas to grab Bobby Carpenter as quickly as possible... I don't even care if they get him at #18... he will be worth it!!!
:starspin

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Finally, Kiper is getting a clue as to what the Boys will do with the draft. An OLB is more likely than a DB. But, Cromartie is one of those that could end up with the boys in the 2nd or 3rd.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
well all we need lawson to do is rush thepasser in his first year...he will get his legs going within a year...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Ted Hendricks did quite well with chicken legs.

Hendricks didnt play in todays world of super athletes either...what worked 25-30 yrs ago, might not work today

David

ddh33

Reaction score
Inexact science isn't it? And back and forth we go. It's kind of fun debating the pros and cons though.

Woods

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Funny, Mel Kiper says we may be taking Manny Lawson, and everyone on here sours on Lawson and says he's overrated...:laugh2: :laugh2:

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53989

To be fair, most of the posters are NOT AGAINST Lawson, they just think Carpenter is more of a "sure thing" since that's Carpenter's natural position.

So, given the order preference, it's Carp and then Lawson, though most say they are fine with either.

Only the minority are saying they would be unhappy with Lawson at 18.

Al least that's how I read the situation . . . .

ghst187

Reaction score
J-DOG said:
Mel Kiper Jr. is now thinking of moving off of Jason Allen at 18 and putting Manny Lawson in that spot.
He was also interviewing someone on the radio today and asked him who was the most overrated player and underrated player in this draft.
The guy said Ngata was the most overrated and that Manny Lawson was the most underrated.
Kiper's most underrated/sleeper-Antonio Cromartie.

I was a huge Allen fan until i heard about the failed physical. Pretty dangerous pick now IMO.

I agree that Ngata is overrated and I don't like his injury history considering his size. I saw quite a few of his games and I never saw the reason for the hype. Besides, we're already paying Fergi a monster salary.
Cromartie....hard to justify picking a guy with hardly any starting experience and a knee injury, regardless of the talent.
I think Carpenter is the smartest pick and Lawson is the gambler, exciting pick.

bobtheflob

Reaction score

With all the emphasis Parcells puts on squats, you can bet that if we get him he'll gain some leg strength.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
I'm all for drafting Lawson. His athletism opposite Ware would be great. I wouldnt mind seeing Carpenter either. But I think Carpenter will be good quicker but over the long haul Lawson might become the better player.