Kiper - Re-grading 2018 NFL Draft

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/i...nfl-draft-mel-kiper-best-worst-rookie-classes

Dallas Cowboys
Post-draft grade: B-

The Cowboys addressed three of their top four clear needs early last year, taking linebacker Leighton Vander Esch in Round 1, offensive lineman Connor Williams in Round 2 and receiver Michael Gallup in Round 3. There were varying degrees of success here. Vander Esch (138 tackles and two interceptions) is a budding star, while Williams struggled at guard and Gallup (33 catches on 68 targets) was extremely inconsistent as Dak Prescott's deep threat. There is reason to think all three will take a step up in Year 2, however, and Gallup is already entrenched as the No. 2 wideout.

So despite Dallas not getting much of anything out of its Day 3 picks, this has a chance to be a really good class.

New grade: B-

1/19 Leighton Vander Esch ILB BOISE STATE
2/50 Connor Williams G TEXAS
3/81 Michael Gallup WR COLORADO STATE
4/116 Dorance Armstrong Jr. DE KANSAS
4/137 Dalton Schultz TE STANFORD
5/171 Mike White QB WESTERN KENTUCKY
6/193 Chris Covington OLB INDIANA
6/208 Cedrick Wilson WR BOISE STATE
7/236 Bo Scarbrough RB ALABAMA

-

Not getting much of anything in Day 3 is per usual.

Will McClay. Thank God for him.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I disagree with the Gallup evaluation. I don't think you can call someone inconsistent if your qb can not hit you when you are open. Hopefully that will change this year. Also I think Armstrong and Schultz will have bigger impacts this year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Vander Esch is beast
We all knew Williams needed to add some strength
Not many rookie WR have great years. Good ones maybe, but rarely great.
Given the situation, I was happy with Gallup's development as the year progressed. He was a 3rd rounder after all, not a 1st.
Armstrong is a wildcard....real curious about him
Shultz improved, though I'm not sure what anyone expected from a pick after the 4th round.
White, Wilson, Covington are TBD
Bo...the 236th pick in the draft...is gone. So what

The team with the great draft was Indy ...Cleveland too

Just LOVED how Indy traded down slightly in the upper 1st round and totally cashed in on it with multiple Pro Bowl type players.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree with the Gallup evaluation. I don't think you can call someone inconsistent if your qb can not hit you when you are open. Hopefully that will change this year. Also I think Armstrong and Schultz will have bigger impacts this year.

Agreed. Gallup was the victim of his own QB.

Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I would argue that this....

...is garbage. Collectively.

Time will tell but our track record would point to me being correct.
Armstrong, Covington, Wilson n Shultz have any opportunity to push that rating up...those guys taking a jump in play would be a good boost to this team's overall roster.

Heck, White may be QB2 by game 1.

Well, a man can dream.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Armstrong, Covington, Wilson n Shultz have any opportunity to push that rating up...those guys taking a jump in play would be a good boost to this team's overall roster.

Heck, White may be QB2 by game 1.

Well, a man can dream.

Possible. We'll see. I have the most hope in Wilson.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Day 3 sucked back then, and it still sucks but a little less. As I can see a few players that may work out, but remains to be seen.
My issue was not so much with the players them selves, but the positions. As many were rated picks from that standpoint.

Hopefully they work out, but still a waste on some of the picks IMO.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

I kind of think they all went around where they should have. I was exited about us drafting Covington because he was one of my sleepers all year long.

I really wanted Kyzir White over Armstrong. White played all for the Chargers before getting hurt but Armstrong is a decent rotation guy.

Maurice Hurst over Schultz but hard to say with Hurst's medical concerns.

I'm not big on Mike White, but I'm really not big on Cooper Rush so I understand the pick. Maybe Duke Ejiofor (Rush for Texans) or DeShon Elliott (Safety for Ravens) over White?

I liked the Covington and Wilson picks.

Scarbrough is what he is. If we draft a RB I'd want a change-of-pace 3rd down back type, not a straight ahead plodder like Bo.

ccb04

Reaction score
He aptly described LVE as a budding star. Williams as others have mentioned, needed to gain strength coming in & the possibility exists he could play another position even if guard doesn't work out. By the end of the season, Gallup was playing pretty well, to include the playoffs with a TD vs. Seattle & 6 catches for 119 yards against the Rams. Schultz also flashed a bit in the 2nd half of the season. White, Wilson, Armstrong, etc...all have the chance to develop.

Sydla

Reaction score
Kiper's draft grades are always ridiculous anyway.

Sydla

Reaction score
I kind of think they all went around where they should have. I was exited about us drafting Covington because he was one of my sleepers all year long.

I really wanted Kyzir White over Armstrong. White played all for the Chargers before getting hurt but Armstrong is a decent rotation guy.

I'm not big on Mike White, but I'm really not big on Cooper Rush so I understand the pick. Maybe Duke Ejiofor (Rush for Texans) or DeShon Elliott (Safety for Ravens) over White?

Scarbrough is what he is. If we draft a RB I'd want a change-of-pace 3rd down back type, not a straight ahead plodder like Bo.

Schultz was clearly a need pick. They should have taken a flier on Hurst.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Check out this guy trying to defend our Day 3 performance.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL.

He forgot more than you know.

The Cowboys, that landed a stud in LVE and two likely starters in Gallup and Williams got the same draft grade as this team:

2 - starter type
3 - a potential starter
4 - injured player, won't start, played in 9 games and had one tackle total
6 - mostly inactive for 2018
7 - mostly inactive for 2018

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Possible. We'll see. I have the most hope in Wilson.
Shultz is probably a decent #2 TE. Should be a good inline blocker that is at least a marginal recieving threat.

4th is a high price for that though. We got that guy twice in the 6th round in Hannah and Swaim

conner01

Reaction score

Time will tell but our track record would point to me being correct.
I think schultz developers into a solid player
Covington will get a shot to contribute this year
I thought Wilson was a solid pick at that point
White probably AAF material soon
Armstrong didn’t show me much
Bo was just a bad pick even at that point