Kipers post combine big board

Qbert

Reaction score
i

8. *Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

Previous rank: 11

Charlton's measurements -- 6-6, 277 with 34¼ arms -- really stood out at the combine, and he tested well. He plays with good leverage for his height, has active hands and takes ideal angles when rushing the passer. Charlton can play on his feet, which means he could fit in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. He was the best defensive player on the field in Michigan's loss to Ohio State in late November, with 2.5 sacks and nine total tackles, showing off a full arsenal of pass-rushing moves. He finished the season with 9.5 sacks despite missing two games with an ankle injury.

not that it matters but its a slow time now til minicamp next weekend, but what the heck did Taco do from the combine til the draft to fall from 8th best player to 46th? :huh:

fredp22

Reaction score
anyone else still think of the "who the hell is Mel Kiper" quote every time u hear his name?
I'll give you 50-1 odds Kipers name never came up in any draft discussions McClay had at any meeting with any Cowboy personnel.

robjay04

Reaction score
anyone else still think of the "who the hell is Mel Kiper" quote every time u hear his name?
I'll give you 50-1 odds Kipers name never came up in any draft discussions McClay had at any meeting with any Cowboy personnel.

You would think if Kiper was good enough, some team would have offered him a lot of money by now to work for them.

Maybe he would prefer a job without risk though, who knows. According to Google, he's worth about 7 million...not sure what teams pay but it seems ESPN treats him well.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Why would he take an NFL job? There is accountability there, with millions of your boss' money at stake, sometimes with things beyond your control. Plus it is a thankless lifestyle.

Never understood the question why if he, Buchsbaum or any of them are so good, why aren't they in the NFL? There are plenty of bad GMs that keep recycling.

robjay04

Reaction score
Why would he take an NFL job? There is accountability there, with millions of your boss' money at stake, sometimes with things beyond your control. Plus it is a thankless lifestyle.

Never understood the question why if he, Buchsbaum or any of them are so good, why aren't they in the NFL? There are plenty of bad GMs that keep recycling.

I agree; as you see, I kind of debated myself in my post.

Regardless, some people might have the drive and passion to want to prove themselves and actually see the outcome of all of their hard work.

fredp22

Reaction score
You would think if Kiper was good enough, some team would have offered him a lot of money by now to work for them.

Maybe he would prefer a job without risk though, who knows. According to Google, he's worth about 7 million...not sure what teams pay but it seems ESPN treats him well.

dont think it will ever happen since he's never played the game. If ESPN lays him off wonder if another station would even pick him up. He doesnt get much respect from anyone over 16 or that has played the game. I think he would just continue producing his draft guide

JeffG

Reaction score
According to Google, he's worth about 7 million...not sure what teams pay but it seems ESPN treats him well.

I'm pretty sure he's made his money by being the first draftnick, and until ~10 years ago the best-known, selling his draft guide through the mail. He was doing that since I was at least in high school, and I'm 48 years old now. Back when I first heard of him, his draft guide was like $100. This was in the late 80s, when $100 was a lot of money.

The rest of it comes directly from ESPN. I would be surprised if he's ever made a penny by advising an actual NFL team.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
he probably dropped him cos of what he was hearing from around the league as much as his own evaluation.

rags747

Reaction score
Not for anything but Kiper is a change agent, He saw this whole draft craze decades before anyone else did and he capitalized doing something that he loved. Started right from high school...He has made a very nice career for himself and his family. I used to buy his draft guides all the time...now with the internet not so much anymore. I can't fault the guy, he's doing something that we all love and getting paid for it. Bravo Mel Kiper...

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Not for anything but Kiper is a change agent, He saw this whole draft craze decades before anyone else did and he capitalized doing something that he loved. Started right from high school...He has made a very nice career for himself and his family. I used to buy his draft guides all the time...now with the internet not so much anymore. I can't fault the guy, he's doing something that we all love and getting paid for it. Bravo Mel Kiper...
That's cool and all but he sucks at his job. Let's call a spade a spade.

JeffG

Reaction score
That's cool and all but he sucks at his job. Let's call a spade a spade.

That depends on how you define "doing his job."

I think, if you had him completely alone, telling the pure truth, his job depends only on getting clicks and views. Before the internet, it only depended on getting his name out there and getting subscriptions.

Getting it "right" more than the average talking head is just gravy. The fact that we have entire threads devoted to him being wrong is probably a big positive in Kiper's personal business model. It's DEFINITELY a positive in ESPN's business model.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not about nailing it. It's about the corny stuff with Taco. One week he's a top pass rusher, next week he's not? :huh: That wasn't a one time thing with him either. Any of us could do his job. Seriously
I am not sure why this concerns you so much. read a draft pundits rankings that make you happy instead.....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's not about nailing it. It's about the corny stuff with Taco. One week he's a top pass rusher, next week he's not? :huh: That wasn't a one time thing with him either. Any of us could do his job. Seriously

If you watch any of the draft pundits, things flail up and down.

Kiper did get a little more specific here though. And I can understand the fan outrage, even though it is laughable.

I just think that too many people go searching for that kind of thing.

I guess it makes them feel better, I have no idea.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't defend Mel on Charlton. What he did was odd and I was talking about it before the draft. He rises to 8 after a mediocre combine, falls to 23 after a better pro day and then down into the 40s days before the draft.

From January to the draft the only time Charlton wasn't a top 25 projection was that last ranking he posted on draft week.

I'd love to be able to ask him why this happened. Preferably in person so I can smell his cologne.