Kipers post combine big board

haleyrules

Reaction score
anyone else still think of the "who the hell is Mel Kiper" quote every time u hear his name?
I'll give you 50-1 odds Kipers name never came up in any draft discussions McClay had at any meeting with any Cowboy personnel.
Amen. You ain't kiddin. His opinion and a couple of bucks will get you on the subway.

rags747

Reaction score
It's not about nailing it. It's about the corny stuff with Taco. One week he's a top pass rusher, next week he's not? :huh: That wasn't a one time thing with him either. Any of us could do his job. Seriously
No not a true statement, if any of us could do his job then I imagine that u/we would be doing it.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Why would he take an NFL job? There is accountability there, with millions of your boss' money at stake, sometimes with things beyond your control. Plus it is a thankless lifestyle.

Never understood the question why if he, Buchsbaum or any of them are so good, why aren't they in the NFL? There are plenty of bad GMs that keep recycling.

i believe i read where Buschsbaum declined offers because of his love for the whole league not just 1 team. He loved doing the whole draft for himself, not to help 1 said team. Take it as you will tho, who knows why people do things.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Hey needs to spark some sort of reaction to his Cowboys draft grade. Throwing shade is the easiest way for him to accomplish that goal. He's a putz.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Why would he take an NFL job? There is accountability there, with millions of your boss' money at stake, sometimes with things beyond your control. Plus it is a thankless lifestyle.

Never understood the question why if he, Buchsbaum or any of them are so good, why aren't they in the NFL? There are plenty of bad GMs that keep recycling.

This and 95% of the time he is in love with the prospect because all he really does is watch each ones highlight clips on youtube.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
No not a true statement, if any of us could do his job then I imagine that u/we would be doing it.

It's so funny that you make that statement with so many "GM's and Coaches" on this forum that can do it better.

vicjagger

Reaction score
It's not about nailing it. It's about the corny stuff with Taco. One week he's a top pass rusher, next week he's not? :huh: That wasn't a one time thing with him either. Any of us could do his job. Seriously

Not everyone has the hair for it.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
anyone else still think of the "who the hell is Mel Kiper" quote every time u hear his name?
I'll give you 50-1 odds Kipers name never came up in any draft discussions McClay had at any meeting with any Cowboy personnel.

You're right, but Trev Alberts was out of the league in a few years

fredp22

Reaction score
You're right, but Trev Alberts was out of the league in a few years

Think it was Bill Tobin. He didnt last long but his comments about Kiper were dead on. ESPN tried to make him a guru but Tobin had the guts to expose him for what he was. An outsider who never played the game and knew little more than you or I. I'm willing to bet not 1 NFL team uses his comments when evaluating players

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Think it was Bill Tobin. He didnt last long but his comments about Kiper were dead on. ESPN tried to make him a guru but Tobin had the guts to expose him for what he was. An outsider who never played the game and knew little more than you or I. I'm willing to bet not 1 NFL team uses his comments when evaluating players

Of course they don't, but that doesn't invalidate his opinion on the draft either.

fredp22

Reaction score
Of course they don't, but that doesn't invalidate his opinion on the draft either.
but if he's never played or been a part of any NFL team how could he be an expert (and thats what ESPN tried to promote him as) on how college players will do in NFL. He cant evaluate players any better than u or I. He reminds me of Cliff Claven. He thinks hes an expert but has nothing but pure speculation for a basis of his comments. 99.9% of the other commentators have some sort of background in the game.
I dont know what u do for a living but it's sort of like me watching u a few weeks and then telling u who would be a good hire

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
but if he's never played or been a part of any NFL team how could he be an expert (and thats what ESPN tried to promote him as) on how college players will do in NFL. He cant evaluate players any better than u or I. He reminds me of Cliff Claven. He thinks hes an expert but has nothing but pure speculation for a basis of his comments. 99.9% of the other commentators have some sort of background in the game.
I dont know what u do for a living but it's sort of like me watching u a few weeks and then telling u who would be a good hire

Ernie Acorsi was a GM for several teams and built the 2007 Giants team that beat the Patroin the SB (he retired before the start of the season) and he never played football.

fredp22

Reaction score
Ernie Acorsi was a GM for several teams and built the 2007 Giants team that beat the Patroin the SB (he retired before the start of the season) and he never played football.
I said played or was part of any NFL team. He was part of Colts 5 years and worked for Rozelle before getting the job. Kiper hasnt played or been a part of any team.

Mr Kiper Loved Mike Williams
Loved Jimmy Clausen
loved Andre Ware
loved Brady Quinn
rated Dan Mcgwire and Brett Farve evenly
had Joey Harrington rated 3rd best player in 2002
called JJ Stokes a sure thing-future all-pro
loved Vernon Gholston
had Aaron Curry as #1 player in 2009 draft
liked Akili Smith
liked David Carr-compared him to Aikman
said Ladainian Tomlinson was picked to early
compared Jamarcus Russell to Elway
liked Leaf
said they picked Wes Welker to early in draft
Would you want him running your draft? he liked Manziel so.......

look if u still like him...fine..lets just agree to disagree

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I've got to side with the people calling him out here... I'm not sold on Charlton either but this reeks of having an agenda, but worse highlights he doesn't even research his own notes on things. I bet a bunch of different interns write his material and he didn't cross check them here.