K'Lavon Chaisson

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Lol yea, I've noticed that.

But most of them have Chaisson after us....once the combine and everything is done, I don't think it would be a huge surprise if a team like Chaisson more than Kinnlaw or even Epenesa.

I watched some tape on Epenesa, and I'm not really liking him.

What I was just talking about with the one year wonder, Epenesa blew that question away, because he put up near identical stat lines the last two years. He basically destroyed the Big 10, went back, then destroyed it again, so there's no question he can play. But what gets me is that he doesn't look like he has really high-end explosive traits. I'm reminded of Derek Barnett: awesome college production, great technique, average athleticism, he goes Top 15 to Philly and he's kind of just been a guy. Not the worst DE ever, but not that great either.

I think Epenesa's size, strength and production give him a very high floor, but I'm wondering where his ceiling's at. If the most likely outcome for him is just "decent starter", I'd rather use my top pick swinging for the fences on a potential gamebreaker like Kinlaw or Chaisson.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

What I was just talking about with the one year wonder, Epenesa blew that question away, because he put up near identical stat lines the last two years. He basically destroyed the Big 10, went back, then destroyed it again, so there's no question he can play. But what gets me is that he doesn't look like he has really high-end explosive traits. I'm reminded of Derek Barnett: awesome college production, great technique, average athleticism, he goes Top 15 to Philly and he's kind of just been a guy. Not the worst DE ever, but not that great either.

I think Epenesa's size, strength and production give him a very high floor, but I'm wondering where his ceiling's at. If the most likely outcome for him is just "decent starter", I'd rather use my top pick swinging for the fences on a potential gamebreaker like Kinlaw or Chaisson.
Yea I don't like Epenesa lol.

I'm just saying that a lot have him around the top-10, so he's a guy who could fall.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, the risk is he's a Beasley, Barkevious Mingo type 240 lb speed rusher who just gets washed out.

His measurables comp (or should comp) almost identically with Danielle Hunter if you're feeling optimistic, or Mingo if you're feeling pessimistic. I think what sets him aside is his hustle and his production at such a young age, but there is always risk with being a redshirt sophomore with only one good year.
Hunter came in to the NFL with very little pass rush ability, but he got by early as a "hair on fire" dude and was productive as a rookie. His pass rush skills grew very rapidly after that

HellCrowe

Reaction score
LB isnt need over DT. .beside Jaylon excels at rushing and we have LVE maybe Lee .0 playing time

Never said that but the two DL Brown and Kinlaw worthy of first round marks maybe gone by our pick. Chaisson would be a win if he fell to us

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I dont get what some see in him. I see alot of coverage sacks and sacks off of stunts. He rarely beats the college tackle. Would be another first round mistake

reddyuta

Reaction score
Danielle hunter had 4 sacks in 3 years in college, sometimes you need to bet on the athletic ability.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Been watching tape of this guy, and oh my God.

First, I'll start with the analytics look at DEs.

Per this Redditor's analysis, the Combine drills most correlated to NFL success are a 3-cone time 7.20 or faster, and a broad jump 9'9" or longer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/...ck_easy_way_to_tell_if_an_edge_rush_prospect/

Per Rotoworld's analysis the metrics most correlated with success for edge rushers under 270 pounds are the 40 yard dash and cone drill.
https://www.rotoworld.com/article/numbers/nfl-draft-analytics-def

Also, this tidbit was from Rotoworld.

Chaisson checks with 13.5 TFLs in 13 games.

Anyway, those requirements above for successful DEs all pass the smell test. You want speed, bend and explosiveness in an edge rusher, and the more the better.

Chaisson delivers all of the above IN SPADES.

Watch this tape against Oklahoma. I get it, it's one tape, Oklahoma was overmatched, but this is must-see TV. Every play is a Chaisson highlight.

That burst off the line is Robert Quinn-esque, and that agility is from a different planet. Watch him practically float as he drops into space, and then he can just hit the freaking turbo button and fly. I'd almost be tempted to make him into an Anthony Barr style standup backer, because his coverage ability could be pretty darn special.

Here's another good tape he had against Bama. Seriously, this athleticism man. Watch him run with the TE down the seam at 3:27. Watch that burst of speed at 4:27 and 6.08. He is going to melt down the Combine and pass all those metrics checks with ease.

On top of that, his motor is fantastic. Watch how many plays he runs down that you'd think he's got no shot at.

The first guy that comes to mind for a comparison is college Randy Gregory. I don't think Chaisson has the freakish strength through his legs that Gregory did, but he's the first name I think of when I see a spindly DE with both a blinding speed-rush fastball and RB-esque fluidity in space.

And did I mention Chaisson's only 20 years old? I'm sitting here comping him to Quinn, Barr, and Randy Gregory, and he can't even buy a beer yet. He's only going to fill out and improve his technique, especially if he works as hard on the practice field as he does on game day. If he's ready to play from day 1 (and he looks ready to me), his NFL prime could be up to 8 or 9 years.

The top of the draft is loaded this year, but I'm telling you: if Chaisson makes it out of the top dozen picks, someone screwed up. He just checks every box. I think his draft stock is going to take off after the combine, but as of right now, I have yet to see a better option available for us at pick #17.

Love the analysis, and think you're spot on with the evaluation but my concern is there's more athlete than production.

In the top 20 I want an NFL athlete with production to match.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
What do you think about Chaisson as Sam in base and moving him up to RE on pass rushing downs. He can play in coverage, but also has sideline to sideline speed to be a huge benefit to be a 3 down player at multiple spots. You can also disguise blitzes for him to blitz from the LB spot and with him and Smith you have 2 players in the second level who can get to the QB.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Danielle hunter had 4 sacks in 3 years in college, sometimes you need to bet on the athletic ability.
He was 250 lbs. Well see what this guy weighs.

This is like the delpit/jamal adams comparison. Its only same school because they look and play nothing alike.

Rayman70

Reaction score
he looks like an NFL OLB. We need heavy handed big edge dudes and interior guys. Not sure where he fits.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What do you think about Chaisson as Sam in base and moving him up to RE on pass rushing downs. He can play in coverage, but also has sideline to sideline speed to be a huge benefit to be a 3 down player at multiple spots. You can also disguise blitzes for him to blitz from the LB spot and with him and Smith you have 2 players in the second level who can get to the QB.
^^ this

cnuball21

Reaction score

Sure, but hose guys are usually taken Mid/Late rounds.

He is the exception to the rule for 1st rounders.

We need as close to a sure thing as possible picking in the top 20.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sure, but hose guys are usually taken Mid/Late rounds.

He is the exception to the rule for 1st rounders.

We need as close to a sure thing as possible picking in the top 20.
he looks like a project..just raw speed and athleticism. He could compliment a stout d line tho. We need immovable objects on the dline..we already have fast dudes. We gotta get bigger at the point.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Man gotta disagree here, I think he’s a stud.

I agree in that he’s not going to be an elite athlete or speed rusher, but there ls more than one way to win. He’s not Watt, but he’s got some of those traits and it sounds like he really loves the game off the field.

He’s got great size, length, power and 2 years of great production against quality opponents. He also shows surprising bend for someone that big.

I’ll be anxious to see what his 10 yard split and 3 cone look like, but he looks like a solid option at 17 for me.

I think he’s someone that’ll give you around 8 sacks a year with a lot of pressures and be well above average against the run.