Twitter: Kurt Warner talks Matt Cassel

Macnalty

Reaction score
we should have gotten garappolo or teddy last year.

Hindsight is a wonderful talent, we might as well throw in L Bell instead of Escobar. More than one way to skin this cat if we can exhibit some patience, although with the way the coaches are scheming these games it does test one's faith.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't want 1 guy who the other team knows to double cover being our only option to get rid of the ball to on 3rd down with the rest of our guys running 15 yards down field with their back turned to the QB while we are being blitzed just so Fuzzy can later on be impressed with the stupid combination of it.

That issue has significantly improved since Linehan became the OC. He has had short and intermediate routes in the middle of the field waaaaaaaaay more than the Cowboys did before he got here.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Hindsight is a wonderful talent, we might as well throw in L Bell instead of Escobar. More than one way to skin this cat if we can exhibit some patience, although with the way the coaches are scheming these games it does test one's faith.

its not hindsight...you can find multiple teddy threads prior to the last draft with me begging for teddy.

Macnalty

Reaction score
its not hindsight...you can find multiple teddy threads prior to the last draft with me begging for teddy.

I follow the draft closely and positioned now that might have been a discussion between him and Martin. During the draft it was get Martin, or trade pick which no one wanted for the required value, his combine made lots of people nervous and this team needed immediate help at multiple positions, Bridgewater would have contributed little last year to the overall team won loss record. Garrett in final year of contract so unless that team did well he was history. So does one draft in the first round a non contributor year one or someone who starts day one? This is not Madden lots of consideration go into the pick.

Proximo

Reaction score
Look, I hope the change pays off as much or more then the rest of you guys. I do think it was the right move to make at the bye week (and that it would have been a mistake to make it earlier). That doesn't change the fact that the only way we're going to start winning football games is to play better defense and have the rest of the team elevate it's level of play around the QB. RB, OL, everybody. We'll see some more shots downfield, I'm sure. We'll probably see some more picks, and hopefully at least an offsetting number of takeaways. But i gotta say, Matt Cassel doesn't look to me like the cure for what ails us. We need to play a lot better, all around.

Hopefully, the defense last week was a sign of that happening. Getting Dez back is another sure-fire way to get some swagger going on offense. We gotta play better, all around, though, because the difference between Cassel and Weeden isn't going to be as stark as everybody thinks it's going to be.

Naturally, the change at QB and potential Dez return have been the dominant storylines, which is to be expected.

But one thing I'm surprised we haven't seen more conversation about is our complete lack of ability to generate takeaways on defense. Last year we were top 5 (I think) in the league when it came to taking the ball away; so far we've missed that A LOT this season. We NEED to start getting takeaways if we're going to be the team that we think we can be. And that part has nothing to do with Dez and Romo.

I really think we'd have two more wins right now (Atl and NO) if could've gotten a couple takeaways in each of those games. Stealing possessions from the other team is HUGE and our lack of doing that is sort of flying under the radar.

khiladi

Reaction score
A smart QB sees that blitz coming from a mile away (like the rest of us) and makes a protection and route adjustment at the line. The defense showed it's hand well before the snap. Weeden didn't let the game slow down enough to make the line or route adjustment. he saw it coming, snapped the ball anyway and predictably got crushed.

Cassel may not be the second coming but he's been in enough football situations to recognize a situation like that and audible at the line. I don't remember how many times I saw Weeden check out of the play at the LOS (I can only recall one) but if he wasn't given that liberty then it is a MAJOR fail on the coaching staff. I don't know one way or the other and won't pretend to but if not, it's obvious that they don't trust Weeden to play the position. Now, that's on everyone from JG, to McClay, to the Jones' for not addressing the situation properly. Unfortunately, as far as reasonably addressing the issue, that ship has sailed for this season. The fact remains, the faith in Weeden to get the job done has gone from limited to non-existent.

Adjustments are predicated on the play-call designs that the offense can perform based on their formations..

This has been discussed ad nauseum as it relates to the Cowboys offense and blitz pickups. Crayton mentioned it once in an interview.

Romo got destroyed plenty on such plays, despite pointing out where blitzes were coming because of the lack of hot reads..

Only last year when Romo started getting more control did these things reduce. Weeden not Cassell have that..

BlueStar22

Reaction score
The Skins had 3 first half takeaways and 13 points. Cousins is trash. Still don't get why they were so adamant about him being the guy.

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
Jerry needs to prepare for LAR... Life after Romo.. Hopefully this is a wake up call. I know franchise qbs don't grow on trees. but if you don't try to get one. There's no chance in getting one.

how many do u think there are in the league right now...not that many IMO....teams can win without one....its not the end of the world but I agree that Romos sucessor needs to be found soon...

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I follow the draft closely and positioned now that might have been a discussion between him and Martin. During the draft it was get Martin, or trade pick which no one wanted for the required value, his combine made lots of people nervous and this team needed immediate help at multiple positions, Bridgewater would have contributed little last year to the overall team won loss record. Garrett in final year of contract so unless that team did well he was history. So does one draft in the first round a non contributor year one or someone who starts day one? This is not Madden lots of consideration go into the pick.

the pick from teddy vs. lawrence was like 3 spots. they could have had teddy if they wanted.

possible franchise qb...or a meh pass rusher. id have gambled on the franchise qb.

Macnalty

Reaction score
the pick from teddy vs. lawrence was like 3 spots. they could have had teddy if they wanted.

possible franchise qb...or a meh pass rusher. id have gambled on the franchise qb.

It just was not that black and white of a choice. The head coach being on last season of contract made it difficult to develop long term goals during that draft as it prevented self interest.