Kyler Murray throwing darts

Flamma

Reaction score
Jones was underrated because media and young football fans believe if you’re not running around everywhere on film or throwing long bombs in your highlights it means you’re bad

Jones was drafted high for a few reasons

1. He’s a prototypical QB
2. He’s safe with the football
3. Eli and Peyton’s former coach vouched for him

They are hoping they got an Eli 2.0 with him. Like Eli or hate Eli, he helped get them 2 Super Bowl rings despite his flaws

Even if he's everything the team ever hoped for and more. Even if he ends in in the Hall of Fame after winning 14 Super Bowls. It was still a bad pick for a few reasons.

1. If a kicker you drafted never missed a FG in his 15 year career, does that justify drafting him in the first round? No. Why? Because he would have been there in the 2nd or later. That's what makes it a bad pick.

2. The Giants could have drafted him with their 2nd pick in the first round and had Ed Oliver instead of Dexter Lawrence.

3. What they should have done was draft either Oliver or Allen with their first, Dexter Lawrence when they did, then pick up Jones. He would have still been there. I thank God they didn't do this.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Even if he's everything the team ever hoped for and more. Even if he ends in in the Hall of Fame after winning 14 Super Bowls. It was still a bad pick for a few reasons.

1. If a kicker you drafted never missed a FG in his 15 year career, does that justify drafting him in the first round? No. Why? Because he would have been there in the 2nd or later. That's what makes it a bad pick.

2. The Giants could have drafted him with their 2nd pick in the first round and had Ed Oliver instead of Dexter Lawrence.

3. What they should have done was draft either Oliver or Allen with their first, Dexter Lawrence when they did, then pick up Jones. He would have still been there. I thank God they didn't do this.

If you get a QB who gets you 2 Super Bowls, no matter where you picked him, it's not bad. LOL

It's the most valuable position - if your guy is there, you draft him. There were already rumors Jones wasn't getting out of the first round, the Giants took Jones where they KNEW they could draft him.

Flamma

Reaction score
If you get a QB who gets you 2 Super Bowls, no matter where you picked him, it's not bad. LOL

It's the most valuable position - if your guy is there, you draft him. There were already rumors Jones wasn't getting out of the first round, the Giants took Jones where they KNEW they could draft him.

The Giants traded up into the first round with their 3rd pick. I think they had the 6th, 15th, and another in the high 20s. I'm fairly certain Jones would have been there at their 3rd pick. There were QBs projected to go higher than him still left in the 2nd round. At the very least there was a 99% chance he would have been there at pick 15. That's what makes it a bad pick.

It doesn't matter how important the position is. It doesn't matter if he goes on to win two Super Bowls or your guy is there. Ed Oliver or Allen and Jones is better than Dexter Lawrence and Jones. That's what made it a bad pick.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The Giants traded up into the first round with their 3rd pick. I think they had the 6th, 15th, and another in the high 20s. I'm fairly certain Jones would have been there at their 3rd pick. There were QBs projected to go higher than him still left in the 2nd round. At the very least there was a 99% chance he would have been there at pick 15. That's what makes it a bad pick.

It doesn't matter how important the position is. It doesn't matter if he goes on to win two Super Bowls or your guy is there. Ed Oliver or Allen and Jones is better than Dexter Lawrence and Jones. That's what made it a bad pick.

You can be "fairly certain" as much as you like, that's not what was being discussed on draft night. Whether it was just smoke to get the Giants to take him, it doesn't matter, they were high on him and didn't want to lose their franchise guy.

If he goes on to win 2 Super Bowls, not a single analyst or fan will be looking back at this like it was a mistake. It will 100% be considered one of the best pick in the 2019 draft and leave a lot of these same analysts who doubted and criticized the pick with eggs on their faces.

Flamma

Reaction score
You can be "fairly certain" as much as you like, that's not what was being discussed on draft night. Whether it was just smoke to get the Giants to take him, it doesn't matter, they were high on him and didn't want to lose their franchise guy.

If he goes on to win 2 Super Bowls, not a single analyst or fan will be looking back at this like it was a mistake. It will 100% be considered one of the best pick in the 2019 draft and leave a lot of these same analysts who doubted and criticized the pick with eggs on their faces.

Let me be clear as to what I am saying. I'm not saying picking Jones was a bad pick. I'm saying picking him at number 6 was a mistake. No way Jones get picked before 15. That's why I said it doesn't matter how many SBs he wins.

staubach24

Reaction score
Undersized. Yes he is. But that kid throws a beautiful pass and has 4’3 speed that defenses will have to respect. If the GM in Arizona is smart, he will give him an Oline over the next few years and the Cards will be a force for years to come. A faster, albeit shorter version of Russell Wilson.

jnday

Reaction score
Let me be clear as to what I am saying. I'm not saying picking Jones was a bad pick. I'm saying picking him at number 6 was a mistake. No way Jones get picked before 15. That's why I said it doesn't matter how many SBs he wins.
But you don’t know what the Giants knew. There could have been another team that was high on Jones and had plans to draft him early. Fans only knows what the media tells us. A lot of the time, the media doesn’t have the inside info that teams have.

Flamma

Reaction score
But you don’t know what the Giants knew. There could have been another team that was high on Jones and had plans to draft him early. Fans only knows what the media tells us. A lot of the time, the media doesn’t have the inside info that teams have.

You're right about that. Looking at the draft order the Bengals and Commanders were picking before their second pick in the first round.

kskboys

Reaction score
The silliest idea ever is that you take a player who is successful and then get slammed because you "COULD'VE" gotten him later. A very strange and erroneous way of thinking. I'm shocked every time I see someone fall for this stupid media idea.