News: LaCanfora: Tony Romo or Dak Prescott? Here's what NFL execs say Jerry Jones should do

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should the Cowboys pull a Broncos and go back to their veteran QB for the stretch run?
  • by Jason La Canfora
  • @JasonLaCanfora

At some point the Dallas Cowboys were going to lose a football game. The offense would invariably slow down and Dak Prescott would inevitably look like a rookie quarterback. They weren't going to run the table, and Prescott wasn't going to look like an MVP candidate every week.

It was bound to happen, eventually. And eventually is now.

Things had been going a little too smoothly in Jerryland for a little too long, and fortunes tend to shift in an instant in the NFL. I'm not sure that any of us fully understood what Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was trying to convey the other day, when, asked about the prospect of Tony Romo replacing Prescott, he uttered: "You'll know it when you see it." But I do know that he didn't say - "Prescott is our starter now and for the entire season." Or, "Dak is my guy as long as he can stand on two feet."

Jones is a gifted orator, a spin doctor supreme, and a master marketing man. And he's intentionally left that Prescott/Romo door ajar at several points this season. After watching his offense stuck in neutral two straights weeks and with the playoffs fast approaching, we're about to find out just how patient the owner truly is.

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...res-what-nfl-execs-say-jerry-jones-should-do/

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was a little pumped about reading what some NFL executives had to say but the article referenced the usual federal witness protection program sources, so I'm pretty much meh.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I was a little pumped about reading what some NFL executives had to say but the article referenced the usual federal witness protection program sources, so I'm pretty much meh.

Did you really think GMs of other NFL teams were going to publicly undermine a fellow GM, or give him advice?

"Seahawks General Manager John Schneider said he would..."

That's not going to happen. They wouldn't want Jerry doing it to them, either.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Should the Cowboys pull a Broncos and go back to their veteran QB for the stretch run?
  • by Jason La Canfora
  • @JasonLaCanfora

At some point the Dallas Cowboys were going to lose a football game. The offense would invariably slow down and Dak Prescott would inevitably look like a rookie quarterback. They weren't going to run the table, and Prescott wasn't going to look like an MVP candidate every week.
It was bound to happen, eventually. And eventually is now.

Things had been going a little too smoothly in Jerryland for a little too long, and fortunes tend to shift in an instant in the NFL. I'm not sure that any of us fully understood what Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was trying to convey the other day, when, asked about the prospect of Tony Romo replacing Prescott, he uttered: "You'll know it when you see it." But I do know that he didn't say - "Prescott is our starter now and for the entire season." Or, "Dak is my guy as long as he can stand on two feet."

Jones is a gifted orator, a spin doctor supreme, and a master marketing man. And he's intentionally left that Prescott/Romo door ajar at several points this season. After watching his offense stuck in neutral two straights weeks and with the playoffs fast approaching, we're about to find out just how patient the owner truly is.

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...res-what-nfl-execs-say-jerry-jones-should-do/

Don Corleone told Jerry what to do long ago, but it doesn't generate publicity:

“Never tell anyone outside the Family what you are thinking."

Will the Cowboys play Romo? Will they live or die with Dak? I'm sure they have a plan, but I wouldn't expect them to announce it, nor would I want them to announce it. Let your opponents wonder what you're doing until you do it.

Don Corleone was wise. :cool:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you really think GMs of other NFL teams were going to publicly undermine a fellow GM, or give him advice?

"Seahawks General Manager John Schneider said he would..."

That's not going to happen. They wouldn't want Jerry doing it to them, either.
Doesn't matter what I think. What should matter is quoting anyone about any topic that does not require secrecy. La Canfora wrote an opinion piece and stuck what every reader hopes were actual sources.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
This is a must win game. Dak will bounce back. 3 tds, 1 fumble. Cowboys win 31-28

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mark me down for no money quotes.
I wasn't suggesting THIS article contained money quotes, but quoting sources is a longstanding thing in the world of journalism. You're not gonna get good quotes from people with something to lose on the record.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't suggesting THIS article contained money quotes, but quoting sources is a longstanding thing in the world of journalism. You're not gonna get good quotes from people with something to lose on the record.
Yeah. I know.

I want validity in era that places a low premium on verification. It's today's reality but I'm too stubborn to accept it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JJ is a "gifted orator." he's alot of things, but gifted orator is not one of them.
I was going to comment on that after reading it in the article but didn't. In my opinion, Jones is a gifted orator but only if he goes by a prepared speech, which is very seldom. It's whenever he's winging it that he butchers intended information or messages to listeners. And that's most of the time.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
La Canfora exiled himself to the Siberia of Sports by taking the job at CBS. His own people were making fun of him for reporting, on Sunday morning, that Rex was going to be fired on Monday. No one else reported this.

Animosity

Reaction score
Do people think we have Tom Brady or Joe Montana on the bench? You got to rally around your QB that got you to where you are now, not after a guy whos had 10 years and has 2 wildcard playoff wins to show for.