Lance Armstrong announces retirement

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Armstrong to bow out after Tour

Six-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong will retire from cycling after this year's showpiece in July.

The 33-year-old American, who beat testicular cancer before winning his first Tour in 1999, remains focused on a record seventh victory in Paris.

But he will then call time on a 14-year career, confirming: "Le Tour will be my last professional race - win or lose."

Tuesday's Tour de Georgia is likely to be the final time that the Texan races in the United States of America.

Armstrong, who has already won more Tour de Frances than anyone else, is cautiously optimistic about the 2005 race.

I'll definitely have the itch to return but the decision is final
Lance Armstrong

"Can I win this year? I'm not sure, but I'll try," he said.

"If I was to win it this year, I would be the oldest champion in modern history and my dream is to go out on top.

"We'll see if I can do it - no promises.

"But this will be a different year for the Tour with Jan Ullrich looking better and a host of young riders coming up."

Armstrong admitted that he would find it difficult to stay away from cycling.

"I'll definitely have the itch to return but the decision is final - I'm 100% committed," he said.

"I still love what I do, I still go on gruelling six hour rides.

"But I'm scared of going one race too many. All champions are concerned about losing - that's the fear that gets them up early."

k19

Reaction score
Sweaty men wearing tights in france or Sheryl Crow, he made the right choice to hang it up