News: Lance Dunbar's return faster and better than expected

CCBoy

Reaction score
Lance Dunbar's return faster and better than expected
Lance Dunbar's return faster and better than expected

OXNARD, Calif. – As his Dallas Cowboys teammates practice, Lance Dunbar is off to a side field. A cord is tied around his waist, and at the other end is assistant strength coach Kendall Smith. As Dunbar sprints, Smith tugs the cord tight to create more resistance.

Dunbar has no limp. The only way to know his left knee has an issue is the light wrap around it.

He looks, for the lack of a better word, normal.

On Oct. 4, 2015, against the New Orleans Saints, Dunbar tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on a kickoff return. He also tore his patellar tendon. His season was over on the night he had a career-high 45-yard run.

As Dunbar stared at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome roof, he could not stand the pain.

“I was having the career that I always dreamed of having, finally got a chance to make some plays, but it kind of got taken away from me,” Dunbar said. “At first I was kind of asking, ‘Why me?’ But I stopped myself pretty quick. I said it like two times when I was on the ground.”

Almost 10 months after the injury, Dunbar has yet to be cleared, but he is far closer to returning to the field than most imagined. The Cowboys placed him on the physically-unable-to-perform list just to give him some more time, but it is possible he could return at some point during training camp.

His eyes are on the season opener on Sept. 11 against the New York Giants...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel really bad for him, but if it's my decision, I have to move on, in the best interests of the team. They've repeatedly been hurt by counting on players that repeatedly get hurt.
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/thread_stuff/applause.gif

CCBoy

Reaction score
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/thread_stuff/applause.gif

Explosive players usually last also...kind of like Charles with KC. Bet he returns as well...

I seem to remember a pretty good Chicago Bear...I think his name was Sweetness.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He has a moderately 'bad' injury to return from. My educated guess is he would not be this far along and where he is now unless the patellar injury was of less concern than I worried. I'm not worried about the knee at all and it isn't at any more risk for a repetitive injury than anyone in the NFL.

It's fair to be concerned about the patellar tendon a little but not much. It appears he is close to being ready to go and not at risk for a repetitive injury. Not saying he can't be injured though.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He has a moderately 'bad' injury to return from. My educated guess is he would not be this far along and where he is now unless the patellar injury was of less concern than I worried. I'm not worried about the knee at all and it isn't at any more risk for a repetitive injury than anyone in the NFL.

It's fair to be concerned about the patellar tendon a little but not much. It appears he is close to being ready to go and not at risk for a repetitive injury. Not saying he can't be injured though.

This seems a pretty realistic way to look at it. The fact that he's worked so hard to overcome this is definitely to his credit.

There's no doubt that Dunbar can be a difference maker when healthy, although his staying that way is a great challenge.

Last edited:

bodi

Reaction score
never did like him

I don't think we have enuf room for him

how many RB'S you going to carry ?

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't like him
I don't think we have enuf room for him

I don't think there is any question but what Darius Jackson's presence will put a great deal of pressure on Dunbar to retain his RB spot. Jackson may be only a 6th round pick but is one that is known to possess great talent w/ideal size and speed to match. I think every member of this website is certainly likely to be anticipating a dogfight from the rest of the RBs to keep Jackson from taking his job. The way I feel is may the best man win.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
My worry with Lance Dunbar is that he doesn't seem to have the body that can sustain the abuse. He's so skinny, he looks like a guy from the local flag football league. I hope he lasts because he found a little chemistry with Romo last season.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait...what......is that good news?!

:yourock::yourock::yourock:

dfense

Reaction score
I wouldn't label Dunbar as injury prone. That shot he took on his knee would have done damage no matter who it was.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I feel really bad for him, but if it's my decision, I have to move on, in the best interests of the team. They've repeatedly been hurt by counting on players that repeatedly get hurt.

I can understand this position even if I don't completely agree with it.

It's possible we move on from Dunbar, but I only want to do it if there are three to four backs better than him on the roster. By better than him, I don't necessarily mean that they can start. If the team believes he can contribute in a role more than one of the others, then he should be kept over that player.

The injury concerns should only factor in if we don't believe he can contribute more because injuries aren't unique to Dunbar. McFadden, for instance, has an injury history that he somehow avoided last year. Alfred Morris' "regression" since his rookie year could be because the wear and tear on his body caused by the game. We don't even know how Elliott and Jackson will hold up to the rigors of the game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can understand this position even if I don't completely agree with it.

It's possible we move on from Dunbar, but I only want to do it if there are three to four backs better than him on the roster. By better than him, I don't necessarily mean that they can start. If the team believes he can contribute in a role more than one of the others, then he should be kept over that player.

Dunbar has a unique role carved out for himself. One that I'm not sure anyone else would fill quite as well. But my issue is strictly based on durability, and the lack thereof. He can't stay healthy.

The injury concerns should only factor in if we don't believe he can contribute more because injuries aren't unique to Dunbar. McFadden, for instance, has an injury history that he somehow avoided last year. Alfred Morris' "regression" since his rookie year could be because the wear and tear on his body caused by the game. We don't even know how Elliott and Jackson will hold up to the rigors of the game.

The sheer number of significant injuries ARE unique to Dunbar. He's been hurt each and every time he's been called upon. And just because others have ever been hurt, it doesn't change his history.

For the record, I'm not sure McFadden makes this team either.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
For the record, I'm not sure McFadden makes this team either.

I'm not either. A lot is going to depend on Jackson.

I think Elliott and Morris are locks and the other spots will depend on what the team sees and believes it needs. If Jackson stands out, he takes the third spot as a young player under contract for years.

I think injuries will end up shaking out the position to some extent. For instance, McFadden being out is giving the other backs the opportunity to show that he's expendable despite being the team's leading rusher last year.

erod

Reaction score

So Dez has to go? Lee? Romo? Crawford? Church? Free?

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't know how you could "not like" Dunbar. That baffles me. He has a very unique skill set and one that is needed on this team. Zeke might have the same skill set now so that may make him expendable and make a place for Morris and his short yardage skillset but I love Dunbar. I really think he would be a huge third down threat if he had not been injured those 2 times.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Dez has to go? Lee? Romo? Crawford? Church? Free?

That's obviously a generalization and an inaccurate one. None of those players have the injury history that Dunbar does. But you know that.