News: Lance Dunbar's return faster and better than expected

erod

Reaction score
That's obviously a generalization and an inaccurate one. None of those players have the injury history that Dunbar does. But you know that.

True, but I also know that Dunbar does things the others don't with the exception of Zeke.

Running back is going to be interesting. I think McFadden is the odd man out, especially if the Jackson kid flashes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but I also know that Dunbar does things the others don't with the exception of Zeke.

No doubt about that. And it was never more evident than last season. That's why the injury situation is so frustrating.

Running back is going to be interesting. I think McFadden is the odd man out, especially if the Jackson kid flashes.

I agree.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Elliott
2. DMC
3. Morris
4. Dunbar or Jackson

My opinion hasn't changed since the draft.

erod

Reaction score
1. Elliott
2. DMC
3. Morris
4. Dunbar or Jackson

My opinion hasn't changed since the draft.

I think it's:

1. Elliott
2. Morris
3. Dunbar
4. Maybe Jackson

Dallas prefers a zone blocking scheme, which gives Morris the edge over McFadden. Then, it becomes a matter of special teams.

If McFadden isn't #2, then why keep him? He doesn't contribute otherwise. Same for Morris.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
I mean there's no reason to make a decision on him now. Let him get healthy and just see what he has. If he's healthy and can contribute like he did when healthy last year he's another weapon from Romo. And just ask the Giants and Falcons last year how much of a problem Dunbar can be.

If he can't then you can move on from him. But, Dallas has the luxury of waiting for him to be on the field to decide.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Dunbar is recovering fast because he and his agent knows this could be his last shot. If he doesn't make the squad, his options will be limited. He had about 2-3 years max left in this league, he needs to get healthy and on the field.

bandfan

Reaction score
I feel really bad for him, but if it's my decision, I have to move on, in the best interests of the team. They've repeatedly been hurt by counting on players that repeatedly get hurt.
Obviously we should only keep players who won't ever get hurt.....puleese....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how you could "not like" Dunbar. That baffles me. He has a very unique skill set and one that is needed on this team. Zeke might have the same skill set now so that may make him expendable and make a place for Morris and his short yardage skillset but I love Dunbar. I really think he would be a huge third down threat if he had not been injured those 2 times.

That's exactly the point - "if he had not been injured those 2 times". it's been every time they've actually put him on the field.

kazzd58

Reaction score
Dunbar to me is a specialty type player, Sproles like in a way cause of his receiving skills he's a weapon and an option out the backfield...

he has a roll on my team still we still need to win and he can play to help u win even tho he may get hurt....ijs

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dunbar to me is a specialty type player, Sproles like in a way cause of his receiving skills he's a weapon and an option out the backfield...

he has a roll on my team still we still need to win and he can play to help u win even tho he may get hurt....ijs

I like his game for us a lot, too. But if Elliott runs routes as well as Dunbar does, he might not have the role he's always had here in he past available.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Tyrann Mathieu is supposed to be ready for Week 1 when he tore his ACL at the END of December. I fully expect Dunbar to be back for Week 1.

keds

Reaction score
Lance Dunbar's return faster and better than expected
Lance Dunbar's return faster and better than expected

OXNARD, Calif. – As his Dallas Cowboys teammates practice, Lance Dunbar is off to a side field. A cord is tied around his waist, and at the other end is assistant strength coach Kendall Smith. As Dunbar sprints, Smith tugs the cord tight to create more resistance.

Dunbar has no limp. The only way to know his left knee has an issue is the light wrap around it.

He looks, for the lack of a better word, normal.

On Oct. 4, 2015, against the New Orleans Saints, Dunbar tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on a kickoff return. He also tore his patellar tendon. His season was over on the night he had a career-high 45-yard run.

As Dunbar stared at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome roof, he could not stand the pain.

“I was having the career that I always dreamed of having, finally got a chance to make some plays, but it kind of got taken away from me,” Dunbar said. “At first I was kind of asking, ‘Why me?’ But I stopped myself pretty quick. I said it like two times when I was on the ground.”

Almost 10 months after the injury, Dunbar has yet to be cleared, but he is far closer to returning to the field than most imagined. The Cowboys placed him on the physically-unable-to-perform list just to give him some more time, but it is possible he could return at some point during training camp.

His eyes are on the season opener on Sept. 11 against the New York Giants...

I think they fit him onto the roster and go short somewhere else...

kazzd58

Reaction score
I like his game for us a lot, too. But if Elliott runs routes as well as Dunbar does, he might not have the role he's always had here in he past available.

My thing is this y take the pressure off the defense we know what dunbar can do hell he may can do more .. Zeke is not gonna play every play of the whole game 16 games.. dunbar still has a mismatch skill set for this team and imo we need to use it theres prolly maybe 3-4 lab's that can cover dunbar but only for so far

We need to show no mercy on offense when the backup come in u still don't have it easy thats my mentality anyway ...don't let up off these cats man we got a lethal offensive squad fully healthy!!! sheesh i see it idk if y'all do but i see it......... be aggressive dunbar is elusive... just keep him off special teams period