Lance Zierlein OL grades and capsules

RS12

Reaction score
I've created formulas for tackles, centers and guards that take into account their power in the run blocking game, foot quickness, ability in pass protection, hand strength and how they sustain their blocks, body control, core strength and tenacity. As you will notice, I have included both tackle and guard ratings for some players and I've included a grade for players who may fit into the zone scheme as well.

My grades, as always are a combination of how I see a player now and how I see a player fitting into the NFL. For example, with Greg Robinson, I am projecting the player I believe he will become as he continues to learn the fundamentals of pass protection technique after playing for a run-heavy offense.

These grades are my own and I they do not necessarily reflect where I think a player will or should be drafted. As with any draft year, I grade the player with no regard to the draft class and only on his merits as an offensive linemen. Then, based on how the board shapes up, I would then fit them into the right spots. For example, I have a high 2nd round grade on Joel Bitonio, but I would probably draft him higher than that because he has position flexibility and I also believe that he is a safe player.

http://thesidelineview.com/grades/ol

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Nice aside from the obvious guys i.e. Bitonio/ the Turners for the best to fit in our line, there are some interesting prospects. Mid/late rounders as guards for us are: Hurst,Schofield, Johnson, Duvernay-Tardif,Urschel. He also lists Linder as a possibility for a zone guard, but I am not sure he fits. Also I hear a lot of wildly different opinions on Schofield, I think he can fit in but barely.

Hurst in particular sounds a lot like Kosier 2.0.

bodi

Reaction score
if we go O line in the first I rather have Xavier Su'a Filo over Martin

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've created formulas for tackles, centers and guards that take into account their power in the run blocking game, foot quickness, ability in pass protection, hand strength and how they sustain their blocks, body control, core strength and tenacity. As you will notice, I have included both tackle and guard ratings for some players and I've included a grade for players who may fit into the zone scheme as well.

My grades, as always are a combination of how I see a player now and how I see a player fitting into the NFL. For example, with Greg Robinson, I am projecting the player I believe he will become as he continues to learn the fundamentals of pass protection technique after playing for a run-heavy offense.

These grades are my own and I they do not necessarily reflect where I think a player will or should be drafted. As with any draft year, I grade the player with no regard to the draft class and only on his merits as an offensive linemen. Then, based on how the board shapes up, I would then fit them into the right spots. For example, I have a high 2nd round grade on Joel Bitonio, but I would probably draft him higher than that because he has position flexibility and I also believe that he is a safe player.

http://thesidelineview.com/grades/ol

Good write-ups but his rankings don't quite match the write-ups, IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score

1) Position flexibility. Martin isn't an ideal tackle but he showed he can play effectively out there and at the Senior Bowl got rave reviews even at OT. Sua played a bit of LT at UCLA but not nearly the experience or success Martin had at LT.

2) Martin appears to be stronger and more technically sound at this point. He handles stunts better than Sua and ND and IMO is the better pass protector at this junction.

I wouldn't mind Sua as a pick. But if we traded down and magically Martin and Sua were both there, I'd take Martin all day long.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
1) Position flexibility. Martin isn't an ideal tackle but he showed he can play effectively out there and at the Senior Bowl got rave reviews even at OT. Sua played a bit of LT at UCLA but not nearly the experience or success Martin had at LT.

2) Martin appears to be stronger and more technically sound at this point. He handles stunts better than Sua and ND and IMO is the better pass protector at this junction.

I wouldn't mind Sua as a pick. But if we traded down and magically Martin and Sua were both there, I'd take Martin all day long.

I'd have to agree, with reason #1 as the determining factor. I think Martin has a better chance to be the starting RT after Free leaves, which bumps his value immensely. Evaluated strictly as at OG, the comparison is tough. Sua-Filo probably has a slightly higher ceiling, while Martin is the safer (higher floor) option. That said, Martin's never played OG to my knowledge, so if the goal is to plug one in at RG immediately, it may actually be Sua-Filo that has the easier transition.

Bottom line, I think these guys are 1(a)/1(b) as OG's, but Martin is the better bet to play RT down the road.

bodi

Reaction score
Martin all day long over Xavier.

my reasoning is that we can trade back for Su'a pixk up an extra pick

Powerfully-built. Very good initial quickness, hand placement and impressive upper body strength to gain the initial advantage on defenders. Due to his core strength and flexibility, Su'a-Filo anchors very well against bull-rushes and shows lateral agility and balance in pass pro. Perfect match in UCLA's drive-blocking scheme

bodi

Reaction score
Martin - With less than ideal length and lateral range, Martin's NFL future may lie inside at guard, where he never played in college. The move to guard is necessary because Martin does not possess great height, arm length or foot speed. He chucks his way back (rather than sliding) for an effective if not aesthetically-pleasing form of pass protection

he will be a OG in the NFL

Sydla

Reaction score
my reasoning is that we can trade back for Su'a pixk up an extra pick

Powerfully-built. Very good initial quickness, hand placement and impressive upper body strength to gain the initial advantage on defenders. Due to his core strength and flexibility, Su'a-Filo anchors very well against bull-rushes and shows lateral agility and balance in pass pro. Perfect match in UCLA's drive-blocking scheme

Sure. My only point is that wherever we pick, if we are considering an OL and it's Martin or Sua, I take Martin. I think he's more prepared for the NFL, I think he's better technically, I think he has more position flexibility and I think his athleticism is underrated. He's shown he can handle and even dominate athletic DEs in college. Months ago people were gaga about Murphy from Stanford as a DE prospect. Martin destroyed him.

My opinion isn't unique either. Few mocks and draft experts/analysts have Sua over Martin.

bodi

Reaction score
Murphy is slow and lacks the hustle

oh I agree Few mocks and draft experts/analysts have Sua over Martin

but I don't think either one is worth a 16

Sydla

Reaction score
Murphy is slow and lacks the hustle

oh I agree Few mocks and draft experts/analysts have Sua over Martin

but I don't think either one is worth a 16

I am on record as saying I would trade back before taking Martin as well. I think we need to go defense early as you can find competent OL in later rounds.