Landry Jones close to signing?

Rayman70

Reaction score
We had Landry Jones in Monday for a workout. It went largely under the radar.I think this bears watching guys.I think this would be a MAJOR move for the team. He has experience and has starts under his belt. I think if we sign him, Cooper Rush is toast. NBC sports is reporting this as of last night.Anyone hear an update..also which other receivers did we have in for workouts?

Carson

Reaction score
No update. Would be kind of shocked if they signed him. Would likely move on from Rush and White may go to PS for room on the 53

Rayman70

Reaction score
I can't believe this isn't getting more pub. I see a huge opportunity here if we bring him into the mix. I WOULD CERTAINLY FEEL BETTER. If Dak went down,this guy can win.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There’s a reason he doesn’t have a job at all in the NFL right now. We are in no hurry. We did our due diligence. If our other backups are sucking, we cut both, sign Jones, and bring in another position player. More likely, we kicked the tires in case there’s an injury to Dak in the future.

erod

Reaction score
No update. Would be kind of shocked if they signed him. Would likely move on from Rush and White may go to PS for room on the 53
If they put White on the practice squad, they'd have to waive him first. Another team would likely claim him. So I don't see that happening.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
You always hear the “if he’s so good, why is he available?” Well as for the other 31 teams, I can’t speak for them. But I will say that Jones was the clear #2 in Pittsburgh but was simply a victim of cap space. The Steelers #3 (Rudolph) is their long term plan to replace Ben but they want to bring him along slowly so in their mind he’s not even an option at #2 right now. So it came down to Jones & Dobbs. Dobbs didn’t look good in the PS but he wasn’t a dumpster fire either so they went with him at the cheaper price tag. You can tell from how they handled the PS that Pitt had made up their mind. Jones was held completely out of 2 PS games and in the 2 he played in I think played only 2 or 3 series total.

EST_1986

Reaction score
If they put White on the practice squad, they'd have to waive him first. Another team would likely claim him. So I don't see that happening.
What team is going to claim Mike White?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
We had Landry Jones in Monday for a workout. It went largely under the radar.I think this bears watching guys.I think this would be a MAJOR move for the team. He has experience and has starts under his belt. I think if we sign him, Cooper Rush is toast. NBC sports is reporting this as of last night.Anyone hear an update..also which other receivers did we have in for workouts?
Jones to me is still not a great solution, but yeah, he is worlds better than the jokers we have behind Dak.

I wish we could get a Kitna like back-up.

I'd give Matt Moore a look.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There would be almost no difference in the success of the offense with Landry Jones instead of Cooper Rush.

Carson

Reaction score

Correct. But who is likely to claim him? Doubt he’s worth a 53 spot

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

My cousin is as die hard a Steelers fan as I am a cowboys fan. We talk about football everyday so I know almost as much about the Steelers roster as I do the cowboys. Trust me when I say Landry Jones is absolute garbage

Carson

Reaction score
My cousin is as die hard a Steelers fan as I am a cowboys fan. We talk about football everyday so I know almost as much about the Steelers roster as I do the cowboys. Trust me when I say Landry Jones is absolute garbage

He is garbage yes.

But garbage that has won in the nfl. I feel better with jones starting a game or two, as opposed to what we saw from Rush in the preseason.

He’s garbage. But less garbage than Rush

cristglo

Reaction score
Who do you think would claim him?

JustChip

Reaction score
What team is going to claim Mike White?

That's my thought. A claim means he goes to their 53 man squad which forces somebody else off. Maybe that gets done, but he's a developmental QB so it's not so cut and dried that he would get a waiver claim. But I was surprised the Cowboys kept him instead of trying to get him to the PS so maybe they have a closer handle on what would happen.

J-man

Reaction score
no need to rush, they're probably just taking a look just in case they would need to do something quickly, at a later time.