Landry Shift

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
So, as long as the Landry shift is a legal motion.. why aren’t we using it to our advantage? If we line up at 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1, use the Landry shift into a QB sneak. I bet 100 bucks the defense would jump offsides as a soon the lineman jumped up.
Thoughts? I’ll take my playbook check in the mail.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I guess during the landry shift , the game is already decided and so refrees dont enforce any movement related penalties or it would be false starts. ( Just my opinion)

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess during the landry shift , the game is already decided and so refrees dont enforce any movement related penalties or it would be false starts. ( Just my opinion)
No, it's not a false start as long as (a) none of the linemen start out in a 3-point stance before shifting and (b) all 11 players reset for a full second before the snap.

That's also why it won't work. To do the shift, the guards can't start with a hand on the ground. The defense is unlikely to fall for it.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No, it's not a false start as long as (a) none of the linemen start out in a 3-point stance before shifting and (b) all 11 players reset for a full second before the snap.

That's also why it won't work. To do the shift, the guards can't start with a hand on the ground. The defense is unlikely to fall for it.
Yeah OL actually move quite a bit before they are in a set position. Maybe on a 3rd/4th and 1 you get a defender that's so amped up they lose focus, but at the NFL level it's unlikely.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score

Yep. Understood. I have to think there is way to use it to our advantage.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Also the intent of the shift was to hide some of the pre snap movement in the backfield.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Landry shift was used during games to disguise the movement of the tail backs. As the shift commenced, the running backs would move their places, which after the shift caused some confusion for the defense because the set had changed.

One might argue how much confusion since defenses surely looked at film and could adjust to the new positions of the backfield. But that was the initial intent.

So unless the rules have drastically changed, the Landry shift is legal, and movement of the front five, along with others shifting - which might include every offensive player on the field - that should be a legitimate maneuver.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So, as long as the Landry shift is a legal motion.. why aren’t we using it to our advantage? If we line up at 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1, use the Landry shift into a QB sneak. I bet 100 bucks the defense would jump offsides as a soon the lineman jumped up.
100 bucks! Cheapskate!

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At this point the Landry shift is a tribute to the greatest coach in Cowboy's history. Back in the day it had its purpose which has been explained already. I don't think it would be the advantage in present time it once was but it is still beautiful to watch.

Praxit

Reaction score
At this point the Landry shift is a tribute to the greatest coach in Cowboy's history. Back in the day it had its purpose which has been explained already. I don't think it would be the advantage in present time it once was but it is still beautiful to watch.
..but if you snook it in, say, as gadget play. It could work.

But yeah, those days are gone.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Add a player in motion and a lot disadvantages and weaknesses could be worked with and opened up.

Nav22

Reaction score
Because it would magically become illegal if the Cowboys benefitted from it.

The Eagles RT is allowed to false start every single play though.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Yeah OL actually move quite a bit before they are in a set position. Maybe on a 3rd/4th and 1 you get a defender that's so amped up they lose focus, but at the NFL level it's unlikely.
There’s dummies that jump all the time in the NFL. Worse than that there are dummies that line up offsides twice in the same game. See Fowler last week.

Jimmy Johnson- You can’t win with dumb players.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Landry shift was used during games to disguise the movement of the tail backs. As the shift commenced, the running backs would move their places, which after the shift caused some confusion for the defense because the set had changed.

One might argue how much confusion since defenses surely looked at film and could adjust to the new positions of the backfield. But that was the initial intent.

So unless the rules have drastically changed, the Landry shift is legal, and movement of the front five, along with others shifting - which might include every offensive player on the field - that should be a legitimate maneuver.
I believe the rules changed but I can't find proof of that. But the description of the Landry shift is that the linemen started in a 3-point stance, moved up to a 2-point and then back down to a 3-point. That would definitely be a false start today.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I believe the rules changed but I can't find proof of that. But the description of the Landry shift is that the linemen started in a 3-point stance, moved up to a 2-point and then back down to a 3-point. That would definitely be a false start today.
Nope. They did not start in a three point stance. They leaned forward, then stood and set with the three point. Look around the 2 minute mark and after.

Brooksey

Reaction score
We should have a Landry shift package. Use it for a series or two instead just the victory formation.