Landry Shift

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
No, it's not a false start as long as (a) none of the linemen start out in a 3-point stance before shifting and (b) all 11 players reset for a full second before the snap.

That's also why it won't work. To do the shift, the guards can't start with a hand on the ground. The defense is unlikely to fall for it.
End of thread

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
The movement doesn't simulate the start of a play. That is kind of the intent of the False Start rule.

Blackrain

Reaction score
So, as long as the Landry shift is a legal motion.. why aren’t we using it to our advantage? If we line up at 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1, use the Landry shift into a QB sneak. I bet 100 bucks the defense would jump offsides as a soon the lineman jumped up.
Thoughts? I’ll take my playbook check in the mail.
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day.
Would love to see us do that against the eagles

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yeah OL actually move quite a bit before they are in a set position. Maybe on a 3rd/4th and 1 you get a defender that's so amped up they lose focus, but at the NFL level it's unlikely.
Just watch Randy Gregory we could probably get him on it he's so smoked up his focus was lost long ago

Blackrain

Reaction score
For some that may not remember, they used the Landry shift on every down for many years.
I certainly remember the Landry shift being used on every down.
We had a coach that instilled discipline and attention to detail and made sure the timing of everything was perfect.

Now we have a coach that for some reason cannot eliminate the pre-snap penalties without any type of shift so in my mind trying to get today's players to do that shift as advantageous as I think it may be would probably lead to more pre-snap penalties if that is even possible

CCBoy

Reaction score
I certainly remember the Landry shift being used on every down.
We had a coach that instilled discipline and attention to detail and made sure the timing of everything was perfect.

Now we have a coach that for some reason cannot eliminate the pre-snap penalties without any type of shift so in my mind trying to get today's players to do that shift as advantageous as I think it may be would probably lead to more pre-snap penalties if that is even possible
The execution of plays depended on all being cync.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. They did not start in a three point stance. They leaned forward, then stood and set with the three point. Look around the 2 minute mark and after.

Cool, thanks. That makes more sense. What’s odd is that googling gives multiple descriptions of the shift that describe it as starting from a three-point stance. I watched them then but I was a kid and don’t remember the finer points.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At that point I'd just call a time out and run 5 wind sprints for the entire team. Attention getter?
clearly we don't do this because the penalties continue to rack up every year