Lane Johnson was pulling for Philly to draft Guyton

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
The two OU alums, Guyton and Johnson, are both 6'7", with Johnson being about 10-12 pounds heavier. Guyton considers Johnson his mentor, and both have worked out and trained together. If the corner they picked didn't fall to them, there is a very strong possibility that Guyton would have been the Eagle's pick and eventual replacement for Johnson, who probably plays only for two more years at most. Under the coaching or Jeff Stoutland, Johnson believes Guyton could have been ready to step in with top level play the day he retires, with All-Pro potential.

If Guyton becomes the player Lane Johnson is, I doubt anyone will complain about this pick. That's 10+ years of top-level o-line play.

Creeper

Reaction score
Guyton and Johnson are RTs. Guyton may be a better fir with the Eagles, but I think the Eagles made the right choice drafting the speedy CB. I think that kid is already the best CB on the Eagles roster.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The two OU alums, Guyton and Johnson, are both 6'7", with Johnson being about 10-12 pounds heavier. Guyton considers Johnson his mentor, and both have worked out and trained together. If the corner they picked didn't fall to them, there is a very strong possibility that Guyton would have been the Eagle's pick and eventual replacement for Johnson, who probably plays only for two more years at most. Under the coaching or Jeff Stoutland, Johnson believes Guyton could have been ready to step in with top level play the day he retires, with All-Pro potential.

If Guyton becomes the player Lane Johnson is, I doubt anyone will complain about this pick. That's 10+ years of top-level o-line play.
Bold> This makes me wonder when Johnson is planning on retiring. A year? Two? Five? I would love for Guyton to produce at an all-pro level for Dallas also but how soon will that happen hypothetically?

exciter

Reaction score
I was surprised the Eagles didn’t go with Barton. Seemed like a natural fit in replacing Kelce. But maybe they already have a guy they like at C.
Yeah, they draft him in the 2nd 2 seasons ago and have Steen to step into the guard position he’s been playing!

bottleKids

Reaction score

Just curious what are you basing this possibly be Johnsons last year ?

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Bold> This makes me wonder when Johnson is planning on retiring. A year? Two? Five? I would love for Guyton to produce at an all-pro level for Dallas also but how soon will that happen hypothetically?
Will take 3 years likely, next year will be a huge learning curve for him with the footwork change

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Will take 3 years likely, next year will be a huge learning curve for him with the footwork change
Year 1 - Penalties, Mistakes - Promise versus top tier DE's
Year 2 - Chemistry with Tyler Smith becoming one of the better tandems in the league
Year 3 - Tyler Smith (Paid as one of the best LG's in the league) now playing next to one of the better LT prospects in the NFC
Year 4 - Option is picked up (2nd Team All-Pro is the ceiling and probowl is the floor) Now you figure out if you want to re-sign him after Year 6 for top dollar or re-draft depending on Year 3/4

John813

Reaction score
I was wondering if the eagles were interested in drafting an OT to replace Johnson in a year or so.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Guyton and Johnson are RTs. Guyton may be a better fir with the Eagles, but I think the Eagles made the right choice drafting the speedy CB. I think that kid is already the best CB on the Eagles roster.
If he is then they are going to be food. He has great potential but no way a corner from Toledo is gonna step right in and be accustom to NFL receivers like Lamb.

plymkr

Reaction score
This is exciting for me. I like it when other teams want the guy or other team’s fans are mad we got him.